Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Share |

Weird behaviors

Over at Routine Maintenance we drifted a little off-topic, so I thought I'd start a new thread here. I am always fascinated at how complex the human mind is, and how complex behaviors that we invent can be.

Check there, and then add your own story here, if desired. I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not belittling mentally ill people; I've got that in family members, and don't see one iota of humor in it.

Still, the behaviors of some people are fascinating, albeit sometimes obscure.
Here is another one I'll add: I was getting onto a small boat in a harbor on Lake Erie, and was helping an older cat load his stuff. His boat was a 42' Tiara, that I am sure cost in the $350-400K range.

The guy asked me to pick up his tool box when I went back to his van to get more stuff. The "tool box" was a cardboard shoe box that had one of those wooden lath type Easter basket handles stapled to it.
Not only was the box paper, but it had "soak rings" on it where it had obviously sat in water in one corner and soaked it up. The solution? Pour drain oil over the box to make it more water proof!
In the box there was a small assortment of 1940's tools, most of which were of lesser quality, and all well seasoned. As I stepped onto the boat w/ this tool box, as it were, the juxtaposition of this crap and and the boat just struck me as perplexing. Next.

Last edited by oh'mike; 01-21-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added a few spaces--That's my wierd behavior
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (01-23-2012), oh'mike (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #2

Weird behaviors

I'm "perplexed" about a lot of things!
I don't know? - go figure!
(Nothing, "off hand" mean't!)

rossfingal

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
STAFF

Weird behaviors

If I knew what all them big words meant I probably would be too.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Willie T (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Weird behaviors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk in another thread
I think the moderator is soon going to move this, or ask that we start a new thread in the Off Topic section. So, see "Weird behaviors" over there. It is interesting to see how the human brain can divert from "normal", regardless of your wealth, etc. Ask Howard Hughes. Great mind, wealthy, etc, but OCD nailed him anyway.
I think the fact of having money can lead to mental problems, especially OCD.
You might be surprised at how few people who have to devote a fair allotment of their time to making a living and providing for a family ever find the time for the luxury of being obsessive about much of anything. Wealth provides free time. Free time can exacerbate self-involvement and self-indulgence. When we concentrate upon ourselves excessively, we tend to obsess about things that we normally wouldn't.

Last edited by Willie T; 01-21-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-21-2012), creeper (01-21-2012), gma2rjc (01-22-2012), oh'mike (01-21-2012), rossfingal (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
DIY staff

Weird behaviors

I have a neighbor that is a neat freak---I watched him after the landscape guys mowed his lawn--

He was policing the yard ,picking up leaves that they missed,

He had a new deck built and invited the neighbors over for cocktails----and asked everyone to remove their shoes.

I quickly remembered something important to do and left---
Old 01-21-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
STAFF

Weird behaviors

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I have a neighbor that is a neat freak---I watched him after the landscape guys mowed his lawn--

He was policing the yard ,picking up leaves that they missed,

He had a new deck built and invited the neighbors over for cocktails----and asked everyone to remove their shoes.

I quickly remembered something important to do and left---
That is a bit excessive, no shoes on a deck, I would have left also. Did the guys build it barefooted?

Jim
Old 01-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
DIY staff

Weird behaviors

He was (is) a character--I nicknamed him Frazer Crain---Conceited without a good cause.

I had to jack up and resupport that fancy deck--Not only is he a fuss pot --but he's a bargain hunter.

I used to have fun checking in over there as his 'much cheaper than you' workers brutalized his house.

One time I heard heavy pounding all the way over here---a carpenter was framing his basement and built a wall to tuck under the beam. It was to tall and he was beating into place with 6 pound sledge hammer. I went home.

Later that evening I got a call---Mike---I can't get the door open into my garage,could you look at it?

Yep---The beam was lifted right off the foundation---
Old 01-21-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
STAFF

Weird behaviors

Quote:
He was (is) a character--I nicknamed him Frazer Crain---Conceited without a good cause.

I had to jack up and resupport that fancy deck--Not only is he a fuss pot --but he's a bargain hunter.

I used to have fun checking in over there as his 'much cheaper than you' workers brutalized his house.

One time I heard heavy pounding all the way over here---a carpenter was framing his basement and built a wall to tuck under the beam. It was to tall and he was beating into place with 6 pound sledge hammer. I went home.

Later that evening I got a call---Mike---I can't get the door open into my garage,could you look at it?

Yep---The beam was lifted right off the foundation---
I checked out a job in an architect's house, man what a mess, that dummy had taken out a load bearing wall on the ground floor of a two story house an being an architect, it is hard to believe some of the things some engineers and architects do.

Some people try to do things on the cheap and wind up paying way more than it would have if they did it right the first time.

Jim
Old 01-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
DIY staff

Weird behaviors

I eventually built the basement for him--The first job was to remove all the framing and soffits and toss them on the burn pile---then I had all his lumber hauled out to be burned.

I've got to get the negatives turned into digital pictures---that was the fanciest basement finish I ever did---once he saw what good work looked like he gave me free reign on the design--

All raised panel wains cote glass cabinets behind the bar---12 foot long bar--16 feet wide entertainment wall---all natural pine---beveled mirrors--

His snootiness never left---so I did--a tall board fence now separates our yards --I still nod and wave--but I haven't talked to him in some years.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:26 PM   #10
STAFF

Weird behaviors

Quote:
I eventually built the basement for him--The first job was to remove all the framing and soffits and toss them on the burn pile---then I had all his lumber hauled out to be burned.

I've got to get the negatives turned into digital pictures---that was the fanciest basement finish I ever did---once he saw what good work looked like he gave me free reign on the design--

All raised panel wains cote glass cabinets behind the bar---12 foot long bar--16 feet wide entertainment wall---all natural pine---beveled mirrors--

His snootiness never left---so I did--a tall board fence now separates our yards --I still nod and wave--but I haven't talked to him in some years.
Buddy, that does sound nice, I would like to see it if you get a chance to get pictures of the negs.

Jim
Old 01-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #11

Weird behaviors

Everybody wants a "good deal". Some don't think twice about $3.50 a day for their fancy coffee (plus the doughnut), but $150 to fix their house??? No way. "I've got a buddy who said he'll do it for $30 and a six pack." Right on, brother, and good luck.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jklingel For This Useful Post:
BigJim (01-21-2012), Canucker (01-25-2012), chrisBC (02-04-2012), Gymschu (01-23-2012), Willie T (01-22-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 PM   #12

Weird behaviors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
Over at Routine Maintenance we drifted a little off-topic, so I thought I'd start a new thread here. I am always fascinated at how complex the human mind is, and how complex behaviors that we invent can be.

Check there, and then add your own story here, if desired. I want to make it perfectly clear that I am not belittling mentally ill people; I've got that in family members, and don't see one iota of humor in it.

Still, the behaviors of some people are fascinating, albeit sometimes obscure.
Here is another one I'll add: I was getting onto a small boat in a harbor on Lake Erie, and was helping an older cat load his stuff. His boat was a 42' Tiara, that I am sure cost in the $350-400K range.

The guy asked me to pick up his tool box when I went back to his van to get more stuff. The "tool box" was a cardboard shoe box that had one of those wooden lath type Easter basket handles stapled to it.
Not only was the box paper, but it had "soak rings" on it where it had obviously sat in water in one corner and soaked it up. The solution? Pour drain oil over the box to make it more water proof!
In the box there was a small assortment of 1940's tools, most of which were of lesser quality, and all well seasoned. As I stepped onto the boat w/ this tool box, as it were, the juxtaposition of this crap and and the boat just struck me as perplexing. Next.
Many people just don't need new tools...they hire the screwdrivers.
O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:02 AM   #13

Weird behaviors

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Connell View Post
Many people just don't need new tools...they hire the screwdrivers.
Roger that, but these were emergency tools in case the boat went boobs up in a Lake Erie storm. I thought it was like carrying an unloaded gun into bear country; makes you feel tough till you need it.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #14

Weird behaviors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel
Everybody wants a "good deal". Some don't think twice about $3.50 a day for their fancy coffee (plus the doughnut), but $150 to fix their house??? No way. "I've got a buddy who said he'll do it for $30 and a six pack." Right on, brother, and good luck.
I see the exact same thing in the automotive business every day.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #15

Weird behaviors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I see the exact same thing in the automotive business every day.
I am sure you do. We people have an odd way of establishing our priorities sometimes. I can't see buying a $2000 TV, but dropping a grand to get flown into bear country in the spring (often to sit around and freeze my gonads off in the wind and rain) is a cinch.