Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Vonage for Phone anyone?

Anyone use Vonage? What's your impression if you do use it?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:41 AM   #2

Vonage for Phone anyone?

I was looking at it. Cost is about the same as my land line. Majic Jack has bad reviews. Look at ooma. Thats the direction I am going.

JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Vonage for Phone anyone?

All are entirely dependent on the speed of your Internet connection. Cable by and large should be fine. DSL often has a very low upstream speed which would be perceived as choppiness and dropouts in the speech. Also depends on what ever else runs on your network. Are you likely to be on the phone when kids are streaming Netflix or online gaming? Start out by going to speakeasy.net/speedtest and report your results. Do this several times at different times of day and try it while other activities are going on on your network.
Also checkout broadbandreports.com and search for testimonials in your area.

Fwiw while the technology has promise, in most cases home VoIP is not ready for prime time. It is simply to dependent on network quality and control of bandwidth between the call endpoints to work well at all times over the public network.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

Vonage for Phone anyone?

I just got rid of my land line and anything using the computer and and went wireless with cell phones (one for each of us plus one for her daughter, all on a virtually unlimited family plan). Much cleaner and easier since we must have cell phones any way. - No answering machines necessary and always available wherever you are if you remember to keep it with you (plug into the charger by the bed every night).

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Vonage for Phone anyone?

I used to work for ma bell in residential. Had a call come in one day and I could not understand what they were saying except for bits and pieces. Poor man was so frustrated finally I was able to make out what he was saying which was " I want to get rid of this $@?! Internet phone line! It's horrible! I want a landline back!" poor man I couldn't help but laugh under my breath and think "it's horrible? You don't say?" lol I received those calls often. I agree not ready for prime time. Lots of folks only have cell phones but I have kept landline guess I'm old school. Plus anyone who needs a number for me that I suspect could be shared with anyone else I don't know or tele-marketers always gets landline number. Just my opinion though! I've been retired for about 5 years so things may have improved over the years. Should you switch please let us know how it works for you.
JBosarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #6

Vonage for Phone anyone?

I am just wondering, since we have Fairpoint here. But even Fairpoint, since they have fiber to the house, gave me a VOIP system. And their VOIP is pretty expensive. So I will probably go ahead and try Vonage and see if it's about the same. The fiber speed is 5M down and 1M up. Should be plenty.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #7

Vonage for Phone anyone?

Thought I would follow up. Went with Vonage "Basic Talk" or something like that. Basically $9.95 a month with 300 minutes of free calls.

Totally impressed so far. Voice quality is great, free caller ID and call waiting, etc. Nice web interface to pick and choose and setup any options.

Just my experience, others may vary!