Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Verizon's fiberglass cable and internet input?

Hi all,

Anyone familiar with the fiberglass service from verizon. I am new to the area serviced by verizon. I believe there packages are a bit expensive, obviusly it is a new technology that is supposed to be a lot faster and greater quality. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some input on the service they have received. Are you satisfied with the quality of the cable. How about internet?. I will need internet and I am not sure if there would be any other provider in the area other than verizon (zip 90604). That sucks, everything is a monopoly. I can not shop around for a better rate because there is no one else. I believe my second option to cable would be direct TV (satellite). What do you think?. I guess it would be nice to have the best cable and internet connections but at this point I am trying to save money and go with the best deal for the money... if you understand what I mean.

gante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
DIYer

Rewards Points: 75

I have Verizon FiOS. It stands for Fiber Optic Service (not fiberglass). It is kind of expensive, but overall it's cheaper than the same offering from Comcast, and the quality of the FiOS service is far better than Comcast. Many more TV stations, many more HD stations, and with FiOS the HD channels are all fully HD, uncompressed. In order for Comcast to add more HD channels, they have to make them all slightly less HD because they don't have enough room in their wires to run more full-HD channels. FiOS has all the room (bandwidth) they need for all the HD channels they want. For today's definition of HD, at least.

As for the internet, it is very fast. Much much much faster than DSL and much much faster than cable. Also, the bandwidth isn't shared with your neighbors, so your net connection won't slow down during peak hours the way it does with cable.

The phone is, well, it's phone. I really never talk on the phone, but it seems fine to me.

I get all three services for about $140/month. I have a couple of up-charges, like a second cable box and a multi-room DVR that allows me to watch recordings from the other cable box.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Verizon or anything. In fact, my service was so bad with DSL ten years ago that I swore I'd never return to them. Unfortunately, FiOS is such a cut above the other service types that I had to eat my words.

Old 03-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #3

Oh man, I can't believe I wrote "fiberglass"...LOL.

Thank you for your reply. It all sounds great but $140/month might be a bit too much for me. I will not need phone which may bring my bill down to $100/month?... well even then I would still have second thoughts.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Their triple-play pack is advertised at $99, but don't believe that. You need a set top box for each TV, and you have to use their recorder(not for sale, rent only), installation fees, taxes, etc. Figure actual cost at about $135. Seperate services are available, but once you have the fiber optic cable in for internet, you may as well use the other features.

Comsumers rated verizon FIOS as the best product on the market about 6 months ago, but the same article said they had the worst service. I think that has improved.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,094

Hi gante, I don't know if this will help, but if you have AT&T in your area, their U-verse service is reasonably priced. For the phone service and upgraded high-speed internet combined, I pay $59 a month. I don't have their cable service.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Hi gante, I don't know if this will help, but if you have AT&T in your area, their U-verse service is reasonably priced. For the phone service and upgraded high-speed internet combined, I pay $59 a month. I don't have their cable service.

I wish I did. I had ATT Uverse before. I believe their prices were more reasonable. My other option for cable would probably be Satellite if I don't want to go with Verizon. As far as the internet I don't know if I have any other choice other than paying $40 to verizon just to use internet?. Its seems that the economy has not affected their prices. They are still a bit high. I would have thought that they would reduce their services during this crisis to atract more customers.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:23 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Question is, do you really need the speed? In my area, Quest offers up to 20mb download speeds, though, I only use Cableone's 8mb. I download a lot of big (1+gb) files every once and awhile and am a gamer. 8mb is good, it could be better, but works for me.
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgsgww View Post
Question is, do you really need the speed? In my area, Quest offers up to 20mb download speeds, though, I only use Cableone's 8mb. I download a lot of big (1+gb) files every once and awhile and am a gamer. 8mb is good, it could be better, but works for me.

No, I don't believe I need the "speed". I don't do a lot of pictures or downloading. I mainly do research, email and forums such as this one.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by gante View Post
No, I don't believe I need the "speed". I don't do a lot of pictures or downloading. I mainly do research, email and forums such as this one.

I think 1.5 mb is all you need, but I looked up your zip and couldnt find many providers, mostly Verizon and roadrunner cable.

You could go with dsl instead of fiber. You will barely need fiber speeds anyways.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
if this is the case, just go with dialup! it's cheap enough, that's for sure....
slow as hell, but cheap! (unfortunately, it's ALL they offer where i live)

DM
Old 03-15-2009, 09:20 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Take a look at your cell phone providers' internet service offering. EVDO (cellular wireless internet) is usually a fairly cheap 'add-on' to your cell service. Plug a USB modem into your PC and away you go.
FIA Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #12

Quote:
I think 1.5 mb is all you need, but I looked up your zip and couldnt find many providers, mostly Verizon and roadrunner cable.

You could go with dsl instead of fiber. You will barely need fiber speeds anyways.

Is DSL available through verizon?. I have ask them about other options but DSL has never been mentioned. I am sure they are just trying to hook me with the expensive service.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Is DSL available through verizon?. I have ask them about other options but DSL has never been mentioned. I am sure they are just trying to hook me with the expensive service.

It should be, I've seen it before...

http://www22.verizon.com/residential...gestandard.htm
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #14

Quote:
It should be, I've seen it before...

http://www22.verizon.com/residential...gestandard.htm

I checked verizon.com again and based on my home address only FIOS is available. Do you guys know if verizon has the capabilies of providing a special rate if requested. If I were them I would rather have a customer for half the price than none at all. Has anyone done anything like this?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,094

In the fall, my husband called DirecTV to cancel some of our package and I'm not sure if he mentioned switching to DishNetwork, but they cut our monthly cost down to where it would be without the extra channels we were going to drop...but they let us keep those channels.

He also called the company that picks up our trash and told them he's going to switch to another company (their rates were going up too high). To keep us as a customer, they lowered the rate down to their competitors rate and gave us one billing period of free service.

I think it would be worth it for you to call Verizon and ask. It sure can't hurt.

It's too bad this type of thing wouldn't work at the grocery store or gas stations.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote