Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 06:00 AM   #16
Bill Kearney
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bethesda, MD USA
Posts: 1,655
Share |
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
None, except after vaccinations.
And the EEG taken confirmed this? What was the neurologist's explanation?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #17
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 23,450
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post

Look... if you're at all sane and even MODERATELY informed, you would at least attempt to have your kid vaccinated. The chances that they'll have a bad reaction exist, but are minuscule. The chances that they'll get some long-cured disease because you didn't immunize them? A billion times greater.
Actually. So far man has only found the cure for 1 disease.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,648
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
And the EEG taken confirmed this? What was the neurologist's explanation?
He said some vaccinations cause seizures in some people.
__________________
"I'm twisted, not sick. Sick implies, I'll get better"
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 428
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
Actually. So far man has only found the cure for 1 disease.
Prevent, cure, you get the point.

People who don't believe in vaccinations probably also believe there's a plausible chance of them winning the lottery. Except in this case the lottery is their children's health, well-being, and lives.
TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Camden County, NJ
Posts: 121
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


After just having my first baby, this topic has come up with my wife and I multiple times. Again, for many vaccinations this becomes a personal choice. For example, my son has not had any vaccinations to date and will not until he starts having some interaction with society. I am not anti-vaccine - I just believe that giving a baby multiple chemicals is not necessarily what I want to do and could potentially have negative impacts, whether proven or not proven. He is no harm to society as he rarely is part of it. There will come a time where I would like him to get vaccinated for a few things, but not all that the CDC recommends. At birth I did not feel the need to give him a shot to protect him from several STD's including gonorrhea (they also said they wanted to rub ointment in his eyes so that he would not be blind in case my wife had gonorrhea or other diseases). To me this was nuts especially as they tested my wife twice for STD's during her pregnancy. I guess she looked very provacative with the extra 25 lbs. Anyway, on both sides of the argument there are studies and extensive research all which are done in order to benefit whichever side the study is advocating for. Thereis "proof" that both sides are right. I think it is best to look at it from a common sense standpoint...my wife has never had a shot in her life and has also never been do a "dr" other than when she was having our baby. She just does not get sick like I do. I had every shot under then sun and was very very ill as a child (bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throats, all mulitple times) and the second I stopped taking medicine I stopped being sick. This also coincided with when I moved out of my rents house so I also believe that when growing up we had some type of mold issue - but who knows. This is a tough debate but just like in politics both sides have valid points and in my opinion somewhere in the middle is probably the best answer. I do know that we do not have to deal with the diseases of generations ago and I am thankful for that and am glad that the vaccinations of yesteryear contained many of these outbreaks. Just feel like at this point we may have gone the wrong way and are now "over" vaccinated.
__________________
Thomas


South Jersey - Camden County
tjbingha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 428
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Quote:
I think it is best to look at it from a common sense standpoint...my wife has never had a shot in her life and has also never been do a "dr" other than when she was having our baby. She just does not get sick like I do. I had every shot under then sun and was very very ill as a child (bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throats, all mulitple times) and the second I stopped taking medicine I stopped being sick.
^^ none of that is "common sense" or proof, it's a single instance of circumstantial evidence, and confusing coincidence with causality. The ONLY two things different between your wife and you was vaccinations? Including your general biology? Of course not. There are people who claim the same thing about chemotherapy. There are entire books out there from people who claim they were diagnosed with cancer, underwent chemotherapy, got sicker (because chemo is POISON don't you know), stopped, started drinking water and tea and magically got better. It's a load of crap, sorry. I don't care how much money the drug companies have, if cancer coudl be cured by tea and good feelings we'd have figured it out by now.

Quote:
Anyway, on both sides of the argument there are studies and extensive research all which are done in order to benefit whichever side the study is advocating for. Thereis "proof" that both sides are right.
No there aren't. The studies by medical professionals all point to vaccines being safe and smart. The "studies" on teh other side are all almost instantly debunked, if they are even led any credence at all due to not being at all peer-reviewed or even based on actual science. The "studies" against vaccines basically amount to what your post was - circumstantial evidence of "well, one person got sick and had vaccines, and this other person was fine and didn't. QED." The most popular theory about vaccines causing Autism was based on a "study" by one man. It was PROVEN to be a complete fabrication, and he even admitted it, but people still look at it as "well, there was that one study...."


Look, these things work on percentages. If you don't get a vaccine, the chance of you dying from a disease that you can be vaccinated against is still low. It's not liek "oh, my kid didn't get X vaccine, therefore he WILL get X disease." It's just... a 5% chance vs a .001% chance. Meanwhile it's possible your kid could get sick from a vaccine, or that they're one of a small group who will have side effects. The latter group is IMMENSELY smaller than the group of people who would be dead without vaccines. Just ask all of your grandparents generation who died from Polio.

I don't mean to come off as a chest-thumping vaccine proponent - I don't get the flu shot, for example, because there's little risk i would die if I did contract the flu, being a healthy thirty-something. But at least know the truth before you make decisions that could be detrimental to your children's well-being. When you say there are "studies that prove both sides" it's pretty much a giveaway that you've done no actual research other than reading Yahoo! Answers or something.
TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 71
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


We vaccinated our kids, my son has been diagnosed with high functioning ASD. I would not change anything if I could do it over. My Nephew has received no vaccines, he is also on the spectrum. Looking back at my older generations, some of them could certainly have been classified ASD, I think that has a lot more to do with it. I just don't discuss it with my brother, we are each firmly in our respective camps. I don't like being told how to parent, neither does he, and that freedom of choice is part of what makes our country great. Sometimes it is not the vaccine but the method of administration. My kids get flu shots, but will get actual shots this year and not the mist. Last year all 3 got sick immediately after getting the mist, which turned into nasty sinus infections and missed school. Same exact thing happend the year before but not as severe.
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Camden County, NJ
Posts: 121
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


I stated an opinion which was merely just that - which is what you are doing (despite throwing random numbers like 5% and .001%. there is no facts in your rebuttal either) This, like politics, religion, etc is too tricky a topic and can be refuted in too many different ways to play whatever angle one wants, no matter what side of the fence you fall on. People are very passionate about this and I just am not and therefore am going to exit the conversation and probably should not have even joined. Have comfort in the fact that I work with my medical professionals and listen to them and talk my concerns with them about my son's health.
__________________
Thomas


South Jersey - Camden County
tjbingha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tjbingha For This Useful Post:
bbo (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 428
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


My only "opinion" is that people should trust science, not superstition or retired **** stars like Jenny McCarthy. My made up numbers were merely to illustrate, not meant to "prove" anything. You should listen to your medical professionals, not some idiot (me) on the Internet.
TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
raylo32 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #25
STAFF
 
BigJim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Posts: 6,633
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Interesting topic, would be a shame to close it.
__________________
New members: Please consider adding your location to your profile.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #26
Member
 
raylo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland (DC 'burbs)
Posts: 1,023
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Exactly, this is what happens when something like the proven efficacy of vaccines with plenty of rigid scientific findings to back it up somehow gets converted by the superstitious into a subjective matter with seemingly equal and opposite "facts". Anecdotes of getting some rare disease "after" getting a vaccine (the rest of your life is after so anything and everything can now be blamed on the vaccine, I suppose) do not make a good argument for cause and effect.

Fact is that many of us probably wouldn't be here today if our ancestors didn't take their vaccines. I also have to LOL at a couple of my co-workers who avoid that evil flu vaccine because they are afraid it will make them ill. They are usually the ones taking a week off from work with full blown case of the flu. No, they don't get sick every year, but often enough. Maybe they will wake up before they get old and more vulnerable.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbingha View Post
This, like politics, religion, etc is too tricky a topic and can be refuted in too many different ways to play whatever angle one wants, no matter what side of the fence you fall on. People are very passionate about this and I just am not and therefore am going to exit the conversation and probably should not have even joined. Have comfort in the fact that I work with my medical professionals and listen to them and talk my concerns with them about my son's health.
__________________
Live long and prosper.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,648
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Just keep an open mind and remember, time after time over the last 30-40 years, the major drug companies have been caught lying about side effects, drug studies and well, almost everything to get new drugs on the market. So if some people are a little skeptical about vaccinations, don't be surprised.
And don't forget, several drugs have been pulled because they were more dangerous than the illness they were created to treat.
Thalidomide for instance.
__________________
"I'm twisted, not sick. Sick implies, I'll get better"
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 428
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Sooo... once every few years drug companies get busted for lying.

Several times every second, someone's life is saved or at least appreciably improved by medication.

Don't confuse the corporations that peddle drugs with the drugs themselves. The former may be immoral, but the latter wouldn't exist if it weren't for a need and an appreciable effect.
TheBobmanNH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #29
Member
 
raylo32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Maryland (DC 'burbs)
Posts: 1,023
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Well, the discussion here was about proven vaccines, many of which have 60 years or more of documented effective use. That is not the same as being skeptical about all the latest drugs the drug companies float to the market many of which seem to be merely to increase profits. Apples and oranges. I am skeptical of those myself and agree with the notion someone presented above: don't take anything unless you have to. The basic vaccines are in the "have to" category for me and mine.

BTW, that reminds me, I need to schedule a shingles vaccine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Just keep an open mind and remember, time after time over the last 30-40 years, the major drug companies have been caught lying about side effects, drug studies and well, almost everything to get new drugs on the market. So if some people are a little skeptical about vaccinations, don't be surprised.
And don't forget, several drugs have been pulled because they were more dangerous than the illness they were created to treat.
Thalidomide for instance.
__________________
Live long and prosper.

Last edited by raylo32; 08-28-2013 at 03:17 PM.
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
An old Tradesmen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 23,450
Default

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?


Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbingha View Post
After just having my first baby, this topic has come up with my wife and I multiple times. Again, for many vaccinations this becomes a personal choice. For example, my son has not had any vaccinations to date and will not until he starts having some interaction with society. I am not anti-vaccine - I just believe that giving a baby multiple chemicals is not necessarily what I want to do and could potentially have negative impacts, whether proven or not proven. He is no harm to society as he rarely is part of it. There will come a time where I would like him to get vaccinated for a few things, but not all that the CDC recommends. At birth I did not feel the need to give him a shot to protect him from several STD's including gonorrhea (they also said they wanted to rub ointment in his eyes so that he would not be blind in case my wife had gonorrhea or other diseases). To me this was nuts especially as they tested my wife twice for STD's during her pregnancy. I guess she looked very provacative with the extra 25 lbs. Anyway, on both sides of the argument there are studies and extensive research all which are done in order to benefit whichever side the study is advocating for. Thereis "proof" that both sides are right. I think it is best to look at it from a common sense standpoint...my wife has never had a shot in her life and has also never been do a "dr" other than when she was having our baby. She just does not get sick like I do. I had every shot under then sun and was very very ill as a child (bronchitis, pneumonia, strep throats, all mulitple times) and the second I stopped taking medicine I stopped being sick. This also coincided with when I moved out of my rents house so I also believe that when growing up we had some type of mold issue - but who knows. This is a tough debate but just like in politics both sides have valid points and in my opinion somewhere in the middle is probably the best answer. I do know that we do not have to deal with the diseases of generations ago and I am thankful for that and am glad that the vaccinations of yesteryear contained many of these outbreaks. Just feel like at this point we may have gone the wrong way and are now "over" vaccinated.
For the first 6 months or so. A baby is still being aided by the antibodies from its mother's immune system. However, after that, your child is at risk of catching any of the the things you don't get him/her immunized for.


Quote:
He is no harm to society as he rarely is part of it.
But he, his health is at risk from society.
__________________
When posting in certain forums, knowing your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions.
beenthere is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.