Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Share |

Vaccinations- Why Not You Too?

Get yourself shot people. Why not you too? You just made sure your kids have them.

A nurse friend orders sick candy suckers for her infants or tosses sick parties to purposely expose the kid to stuff. I am told she misses a lot of work days. I am sorry, but vaccines have a really good history and I think it beyond paranoid to hand a kid a sucker laden with some virus in concentrations greater than that in the vaccine.

But why not we all get together and get really sick? I will mail suckers to suckers willing to buy into this because they are afraid of shots. Come on over. I will coat the rims of nice beer or wine glasses with whatever you want to be exposed to.

Anyhow, it is that time of year again. Flu vaccine is in stores around here already. I saw my primary care doc last Monday and she said to get the combo diptheria/tetinis and whooping cough booster. Apparently the latter is on the rise. I am on the cusp of the age when I should get the shingles vaccine so will. It is for the second stage of the virus that causes Chicken Pox.

I know some people do not believe in vaccines and think it yet another government plot. Certainly flouride in the water and part of regular dental checkups still is.

I happen to think they keep many of us from getting really sick and have little patience for those around people all the time that do not vaccinate themselves. But of course they want extreme medical care, even beyond their insurance, when they get sick with something that could have been curtailed.

Last edited by user1007; 08-25-2013 at 11:20 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
bbo (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 01:28 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Get yourself shot people. Why not you too? You just made sure your kids have them.

A nurse friend orders sick candy suckers for her infants or tosses sick parties to purposely expose the kid to stuff. I am told she misses a lot of work days. I am sorry, but vaccines have a really good history and I think it beyond paranoid to hand a kid a sucker laden with some virus in concentrations greater than that in the vaccine.

But why not we all get together and get really sick? I will mail suckers to suckers willing to buy into this because they are afraid of shots. Come on over. I will coat the rims of nice beer or wine glasses with whatever you want to be exposed to.

Anyhow, it is that time of year again. Flu vaccine is in stores around here already. I saw my primary care doc last Monday and she said to get the combo diptheria/tetinis and whooping cough booster. Apparently the latter is on the rise. I am on the cusp of the age when I should get the shingles vaccine so will. It is for the second stage of the virus that causes Chicken Pox.

I know some people do not believe in vaccines and think it yet another government plot. Certainly flouride in the water and part of regular dental checkups still is.

I happen to think they keep many of us from getting really sick and have little patience for those around people all the time that do not vaccinate themselves. But of course they want extreme medical care, even beyond their insurance, when they get sick with something that could have been curtailed.

you would have no patience with me

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Me neither.

A good friend of mine who is a ridiculously smart dude at the NIH told me one time that if I can avoid taking anything but aspirin...do it.

Obviously there is rationale to take the smallpox vaccine as well as other diseases that have wiped out millions in history, however, I still don't get a flu vaccine each year. Maybe as I get older, but for right now...I don't.

I do agree that much of the hype about vaccinations and Autism is from uninformed people (appear to me to be the case), however, I will think twice about it when I do it if we have kids.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #4

"Most" people end up being allright because they are surrounded by folks who have been vaccinated.

Problems occur when one is around enough people who have not been vaccinated...then you get sick.

This is why schools demand vaccine records before enrollment. There are many dread diseases our parents got..that we don't...because I'd the advances made in this area.

As far as autism: my heart goes out to the parents. But there is just no credible link between vaccines and autism.

I think people have a hard time accepting that bad things sometimes happen to good people ... for no reason.

Look at the case if Dow, who went bankrupt over silicone implants. Jury after jury awarded bazillions of $$$ to people supposedly harmed and sickened after getting 'em.

But now the evidence is now incontrovertible that the implants had absolutely no role in the disease process. Sometimes people get cancer ... for no reason.

I'm reminded of the argument: how many teenagers killed in motor vehicle accidents ate French Fries in the week before they were killed? About 85%. So French Fries were the cause of their death?

The Kennedy assassination? Certainly a little waif of a man, Oswald, couldn't kill by himself the most powerful man in the world by himself, could he? Must have been a big plot ...
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...break/2693945/

Just read this story after reading this thread!
Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 AM   #6

I'm afraid we'll see more of these. Our relatives a couple generations ago were so excited at the prospect of preventing these diseases.

Life has been so good for us...along these lines...that too many of us have become complacent.

And people are going to die because of it, sadly.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

You just have to decide for yourself. It has been proven that vaccinations cause problems for some people. You have to decide which is the greater risk, having the disease or having the problems the vaccinations can cause. It differs for different people. It should be decided by the individual as much as possible.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The problem is we do not live in isolated villages anymore so immunization is not really a personal option. If there is another option than vaccines by all means pursue it. But get innoculated against those things you can. Not doing so puts a major drain on the economy in work hours lost before we even talk about the healthcare costs of it all.

My fave anti-vaccine person tried to have a discussion about it sipping his fifth scotch and smoking the last of a pack of cigs (you could still smoke in hotel lounges then). He really was just fresh from a tanning booth session. I had to giggle about his deep concern about vaccine health risks. They create no more problems than the side effects to things like Tylenol do in some people.

And those that want to blame epidemic disease outbreaks on illegal immigrants, like everything else, because it is easy? All it takes is some bozo traveling legally on a plane to put everybody on the plane (thanks to the copilot of the Airbus working the air filtration and ciruclation system with a bellows under his right foot) and the families they hug when landing at risk if they are sick. Being sick with something that could have been prevented with some form of innoculation is inexcusable.

Move to the high desert and do cave living if you want. If you are going to live around others, show some responsibility to them.

Last edited by user1007; 08-26-2013 at 09:27 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #9

Blaming illegal immigrants is not because "it is easy.". It's because medical research has shown it is true.

Problems can't be solved unless one is willing to look at facts...and sometimes facts are considered to be politically incorrect. But it does not make the facts any less true.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Bill Kearney

History repeats itself. Folks that want to believe vaccines and the rest don't work are going to learn the hard way. The tragedy is their children are the ones that will have to pay for their idiocy. That and the rest of us that have to deal with the effects of people being sick (costs, lost productivity, etc).

But people in general aren't always very smart nor capable of understanding big picture scenarios. What worked 'once upon a time' simply cannot work now, for a whole host of irreversible changes. Populations are FAR greater and FAR more mobile than at any time in history. Yet people are often still as stupid and superstitious as they might have been in the past. And are perhaps even more easily manipulated than ever before.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
raylo32 (08-28-2013)
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #11
bbo

People also need to remember that vaccines may also lessen complications, they are not simply advertised as a barrier to sickness. I'd take a few days of feeling crappy over a week of spewing things from all ends if given a choice.

and by getting vaccinated, you are also helping prevent your kids, your parents, that person you don't know who has had a transplant and is more susceptible from getting sick. You may be young and invincible, but not everyone in your life is.
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

But vaccines are dangerous for some people. My stepson had seizures every time he had any kind of vaccine. He was finally given an exemption to attend school without some of the inoculations. A bad reaction is not as rare as some would like you to believe.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
But vaccines are dangerous for some people. My stepson had seizures every time he had any kind of vaccine. He was finally given an exemption to attend school without some of the inoculations. A bad reaction is not as rare as some would like you to believe.
Yes, it is. People like your stepson exist, and it's unfortunate for them, but the things vaccines prevent are far more common than the <1% like your stepson who can't handle the vaccine.

Look... if you're at all sane and even MODERATELY informed, you would at least attempt to have your kid vaccinated. The chances that they'll have a bad reaction exist, but are minuscule. The chances that they'll get some long-cured disease because you didn't immunize them? A billion times greater.

You can listen to the vast, vast majority of health professionals and studies published in the past 100 years, or just get your medical advice from one debunked study and a former Playboy model. It's only your kid's life, don't worry, nothing important.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #14
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
My stepson had seizures...
Which kind of epilepsy does he have?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer