Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #1

Share |

upgrade from charcoal grill to gas?

I have a small patio and would love to get a grill. My worry is that it gets so hot that adding a gas grill/propane tank....well you know where I'm headed.

This is one I was considering....
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

upgrade from charcoal grill to gas?-photo-2-.jpg
dinosaur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #2

I've gone through several Char-Briol over the years. They seem to last 3 yrs or so, then all kinds of issues. I got a Weber about 8 yrs ago now and it is still going strong. You get what you pay for...
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc View Post
I've gone through several Char-Briol over the years. They seem to last 3 yrs or so, then all kinds of issues. I got a Weber about 8 yrs ago now and it is still going strong. You get what you pay for...
True. Consumer Reports rates this one very high so I thought it might work out. I live next to a busy street so the other fear is a gas grill could get easily stolen. I love the charcoal taste and smell, but hate the cleanup afterwards.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

I have had a few Char-Broils through the years and they are O.K. for 2-3 years and then they start falling apart and the thin metal will not last much longer. You are right about mess and clean-up from charcoal, but if you have the time to site, relax and not be in a hurry (especially in 0F to 25F) in the winter. I still use a 22 1/2" Weber on my patio when it fits the time available.

My local association and municipal laws laws do not allow a charcoal grill on a wood deck (for good reasons), so I got a propane Weber Q300 (about $350, 100# in the box), that does have wheels, and is called a "portable". It is all cast materials (aluminum shell and cast iron grills). It has a outer loop of gas flames and a separate inner central line, each with separate variable controls.

The only problem I have is overheating when starting since it quickly gets hot with on high with the lid down and does not cool off very fast because of the cast metal mass. I have learned to bring it up very slowly depending on what I am cooking and should be very good for "low and slow" with a cast iron box for wet wood for aroma. - I am still learning how to use it, but fortunately it will last for many years because it will not rust. My new "toy" is a flat cast iron section ($49) to temporarily replace 1/2 of the grill that is good for many other things while grilling on the other half. the fold down shelf is good for me beacuse of the deck space.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
I have had a few Char-Broils through the years and they are O.K. for 2-3 years and then they start falling apart and the thin metal will not last much longer. You are right about mess and clean-up from charcoal, but if you have the time to site, relax and not be in a hurry (especially in 0F to 25F) in the winter. I still use a 22 1/2" Weber on my patio when it fits the time available.

My local association and municipal laws laws do not allow a charcoal grill on a wood deck (for good reasons), so I got a propane Weber Q300 (about $350, 100# in the box), that does have wheels, and is called a "portable". It is all cast materials (aluminum shell and cast iron grills). It has a outer loop of gas flames and a separate inner central line, each with separate variable controls.

The only problem I have is overheating when starting since it quickly gets hot with on high with the lid down and does not cool off very fast because of the cast metal mass. I have learned to bring it up very slowly depending on what I am cooking and should be very good for "low and slow" with a cast iron box for wet wood for aroma. - I am still learning how to use it, but fortunately it will last for many years because it will not rust. My new "toy" is a flat cast iron section ($49) to temporarily replace 1/2 of the grill that is good for many other things while grilling on the other half. the fold down shelf is good for me beacuse of the deck space.

Dick
The portable Q series is very nice, but you have to buy the $49 cart and the propane tank is still visible below. I will more then likely go with Weber, but I want a full gas grill like the Spirit series. I just want to spend that much out of pocket and I'm searching for an end of the year closeout bargain somewhere. Is it a good idea to keep it covered since it gets very hot on my patio, any risk of the propane tank to explode?
Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Is it a good idea to keep it covered since it gets very hot on my patio, any risk of the propane tank to explode?
Covered, as in underneath the grill, inside the cabinet? Sure. Lots of people leave their tanks outside during the summer, as I do, without any problem.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #7

The Q300 comes with a cart (2 wheels and 2 legs) that is almost a part of it. Tank is viable from the back, but screened on the front and sides. The small Q series grills are real portables and carts are extra.

Dick
Old 07-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #8

Quote:
The Q300 comes with a cart (2 wheels and 2 legs) that is almost a part of it. Tank is viable from the back, but screened on the front and sides. The small Q series grills are real portables and carts are extra.

Dick
Looks great, why did you choose this one over, let's say the E-210?
Old 07-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPlumber View Post
Covered, as in underneath the grill, inside the cabinet? Sure. Lots of people leave their tanks outside during the summer, as I do, without any problem.
But in my backyard patio it gets very, very hot. Much hotter than average.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #10

I leave mine attached year round. I am in the south where it is quite warm and the unit is in direct sunlight. I have never had an issue. Personally, I am not worried about it at all.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty1Mc View Post
I leave mine attached year round. I am in the south where it is quite warm and the unit is in direct sunlight. I have never had an issue. Personally, I am not worried about it at all.
thx, we had a home down the street that was entirely on fire because of this so it scares me somewhat.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:25 AM   #12

The thing you need to ensure is there is no leaks. Turn off the valve when you are not using it. Most fires are caused by leaks, an external source of ignition, not from hot weather.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #13

If the gas grill doesn't have an indicator what's the best thing to get to know how much you have left? I have also heard of see thru propane tanks.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM   #14

dinosaur1 -

I got it because I was tired of the usual tin boxes. Part of it was for the appearance. Also, being cast it can survive the cold winters uncovered (although the heavy vinyl is ver durable), since when it is -10F, I don't have to worry about waiting to go out and cover a hot grill in the snow. I am still learning how to use it and control it without just flipping it open. It is great for seared rare steaks or hamburgers, but low temperature cooking (roasts, turkeys, whole chickens, etc.) takes a little more thought. - It is not traditional or for everyone.

Dick
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #15

Quote:
dinosaur1 -

I got it because I was tired of the usual tin boxes. Part of it was for the appearance. Also, being cast it can survive the cold winters uncovered (although the heavy vinyl is ver durable), since when it is -10F, I don't have to worry about waiting to go out and cover a hot grill in the snow. I am still learning how to use it and control it without just flipping it open. It is great for seared rare steaks or hamburgers, but low temperature cooking (roasts, turkeys, whole chickens, etc.) takes a little more thought. - It is not traditional or for everyone.

Dick
I like the look of it plus as you mentioned it can withstand the weather better than the usual boxy gas grills. I think that one might be the one that I get, but I might wait until the closeout sales. I doubt Weber's ever go on clearance though.