Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
despriate4repairs

Share |
Unhappy

Uhhhh Ohhhh

Ok so i got the report back from the inspector and it shows a few cracks in the outside of the house and some bricks covering the foundation..... I can add pics if you like.... but do you think this is a huge deal?????

One of my firends says the house settles for 10 years and it will just happen another one says no way... thats horrible.... i need advice....

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
depriate4repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

Here are a few pics. i will try and get them to show up this time.
Attached Images

I ditched the old project and desided to buy a new house. i am still working on closing in but look its so pretty! Good bye indiana! Texas i am coming home! http://picasaweb.google.com/lcdallas/StonecrestMar2007?authkey=uBdQZFC_Fnw
Old 05-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #3
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

Here are some more pics of the damage
Attached Thumbnails
Uhhhh Ohhhh-7.jpg   Uhhhh Ohhhh-8.jpg   Uhhhh Ohhhh-9.jpg   Uhhhh Ohhhh-11.jpg   Uhhhh Ohhhh-12.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 05-08-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

So let me know what you think????? am i just being paranoid????
Attached Thumbnails
Uhhhh Ohhhh-14.jpg   Uhhhh Ohhhh-15.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 05-08-2007, 04:31 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Uhhhh Ohhhh

All repairable.

The 'cracks' you refer to in the 'foundation'...appear to be esthetic (Not structural). Same with most of the other issues you posted.

I would still have it all inspected, get some prices for the repairs, use that to bring the price down on the home's purchase. When the sales transaction is completed, do some of the repairs yourself, that may be done at your skill level, and hire out the rest....

-just my 2 cents

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-08-2007 at 07:59 AM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:44 AM   #6

Uhhhh Ohhhh

I dunno. My gut says run far, run fast. That seems like a lot of problems that a new house shouldn't have.

I'm not so concerned about the cracks in the facade, but the things like water leaking from the wall behind the laundry room sink make me worry about how many corners this builder could have cut.

I'd be concerned that this report is just the tip of the iceberg. That's just my gut reaction.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:47 AM   #7
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

i thought about that but i cant do any of the work myself. they said they would fix stuff before i bought the house... but i was wondering if its just a lost cause or if i should still go for it...

Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #8

Uhhhh Ohhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
I dunno. My gut says run far, run fast. That seems like a lot of problems that a new house shouldn't have.

I'm not so concerned about the cracks in the facade, but the things like water leaking from the wall behind the laundry room sink make me worry about how many corners this builder could have cut.

I'd be concerned that this report is just the tip of the iceberg. That's just my gut reaction.
I do not believe that this is a 'new' house.

Also, every house has some kind of issues, cracking, etc...
If you own a house for 30 years, you can spend alot of money just keeping it 'maintained'...it's a fact of life.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

Quote:
The financing for that deal fell through and I really need to move this house quickly, that's why it is listed so low.
BELOW IS FROM THE BUILDER'S AND ARCHETEC'S INFORMATION
$25,000 TRIM/CROWN MOLDING PACKAGE IN THIS HOUSE
This fabulous home that is traditional in looks but contemporary in every other way, our Stonecrest plan from the Hometown Collection offers a modern interpretation of the Colonial style. Three windows trimmed with brick highlight the stonework at the center of the house. Truely an incredible house with added molding and trim package valued over $25,000. Additional bonus area can be built out for a media room easily, adding additional square footage upstairs.
The foyer opens to both the formal living room and the formal dining room. The family room separates the Master Bedroom and breakfast area and kitchen provide ample space for entertaining. Upstairs, a central hallway with a balcony overlooking the foyer links the three bedrooms. Designed by Stephen Fuller, Inc., in Atlanta.

Main Level: 2,093 Second Level: 1,270 Total: 3,363 Sq. Ft. Bedrooms: 4 FULL DETAILS BELOW AS REPRESENTED BY BUILDER'S AD
Baths: 2.5

EXTERIOR
  • Full Brick & Stone
  • Post Tension Engineered Slab
  • Cast Stone Artisan Address Block
  • Low-e, high efficiency windows throughout.
  • Screens On All Operable Windows
  • Finished Garage
  • Generous Landscape Allowance
  • Covered patio
  • Frost-Proof Faucets, All four sides
  • Weatherproof Outlets
  • Shutters (per plan)
  • 30 Year Architectural Shingles
  • 2 Front Soffit Outlets
  • Aerobic Septic
INTERIOR
  • Mohawk Stain-Resistant Carpet with 5 lb. Pad
  • Hardwood Floors
  • Tile Flooring
  • Engineered Floors
  • 5 1/2” Base boards in Common Areas and Master Suite
  • Crown Molding in all rooms Up and Downstairs
  • Rounded Corners Up & Dn stairs
  • Oil Rubbed Bronze Hardware
  • Door Bell
  • Smoke Detectors
  • Security Deadbolt on Exterior Doors
  • Phone in Kitchen and Bedrooms/Game Room Tech Center (per Plan)
  • Cable in Bedrooms, Family Room, Game Room and Tech Center per plan
  • Pre-wired for security system
  • Pull-Down Attic Stairs
  • 6 Panel Interior Doors
  • Oil Rubbed Bronze lighting throughout
  • 9-Foot and Vaulted Ceilings Throughout
  • Art Niches (per plan)
  • Wooden spindle staircase (per plan)
  • Floor Drain in Utility Room
  • Upgraded Lighting
  • Custom Cabinetry Throughout
KITCHEN
  • Stained Concrete Floors
  • 42” Custom Quality Cabinets
  • Chef Inspired™ Recessed Lighting
  • Poured Granite Countertops
  • Stainless Steel Sink
  • Moen Faucets
  • Garbage Disposal
  • Icemaker hook-up
  • Stainless 30” Range and or oven/Cook top
  • Stainless Quiet System II Tall Tub
  • Dishwasher
  • Vent Hood vents outside
  • Microwave Vent-a-Hood
MASTER BATH
  • Moen Faucets
  • Tile Floors
  • Poured Granite countertops
  • Garden Tub
  • Custom Shower
  • Elongated Toilet
SECONDARY BATHS
  • Moen Faucets
  • Tile Floors
  • Cultured Marble Counters
  • Elongated Toilets (per plan)
  • Easy Care Fiberglass Shower/Tub
POWDER BATH
  • Pedestal Sink
  • Elongated Toilet (per plan)
UTILITY
  • Closet and Tile floors
  • Stained wood cabinets
  • SS Sink in laundry room
  • Storage above Washer/Dryer
  • Extra Cabinets + Hanging area
  • Recessed Lights
  • Side porch entry
ENERGY EFFICIENCY
  • Carrier 13-Seer AC w/Heat Pump
  • Honeywell Programmable Thermostat
  • 50 gallon Water Heater
  • Sealed Building Envelope
  • 2 x 4 Exterior Walls w/R-13 Fiber Glass
  • R-38 Blown Fiber Glass in Attics
  • R-19 Fiber Glass in Cathedral Ceilings
  • Each Home Energy Star Tested
INTERIOR DESIGN SERVICES
  • Interior Design Consultation (via email)
LIMITED WARRANTIES
  • 10 Year Limited Homeowner Warranty
  • 2-Year Builder Warranty
Specifications subject to change prior to contract. Builder reserves right to substitute similar quality items.

Thats about all i got.....

Old 05-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #10

Uhhhh Ohhhh

In that case (this actually being a new house)....I would have to agree with Nate hanson ....about being concerned.

All the points that you show thru your pictures are 'defects in craftsmanship/workmanship'.

Because of this, Nate makes a good point: What other 'defects in craftsmanship' are not visible, or have not yet surfaced? Is this the 'tip of the iceberg'?

No house is built completely to perfection without some 'small issues', but when these are visible, they are corrected way before any home is put on the market..

Example: Why did he not see the issues before you saw them and bring the masonry guys back to fix the cracks, missing material by the eaves, etc...?

The fact that these points were not corrected by the builder prior to putting the house up for sale warrants concern. No reputable, quality builder would allow any of these issues to exist in a home that they are selling. It leads you to reason; What other defects did he allow to get by?

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-08-2007 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:11 AM   #11
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

there was this though.... and i have been talking to the guy and there are still some things they are finishing on the house..... i think they were trying to get a pre-emtive jump since the other person fell through....

LIMITED WARRANTIES
  • 10 Year Limited Homeowner Warranty
  • 2-Year Builder Warranty

Old 05-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

These were the questions i was going to ask..... can you think of anymore i should be asking.....

Ok I have gone over the inspection and I have a few questions…

Was a perk test ever done on the property?

Is the septic system currently under contract and if not can you forward me a few contacts so that I may try and set up something.

The leak in the master bedroom and the laundry room? Do we know what that’s from? Hopefully its not one of the pipes in the walls…..

Foundation: Can I ask why bricks were used under the foundation?

Drainage: Are the downspout extensions included with the home?

Garage: will the garage be finished before house sale (painted, etc) I noticed in the pics that it still had some primer.

Will the issues mentioned in the inspection be repaired before sale?

I know on the ad there was mention of a 10 year limited homeowner warranty and the 2 year builder warranty. Can I have a copy of that for my records? I would like to read over them.

Will the window screens be included with the sale?

Is the master closet just a hanging rack for clothes or are there built in shelves?

Same question for the other walk in closets….

Old 05-10-2007, 12:33 PM   #13
They're all fixer-uppers

Uhhhh Ohhhh

I think there are two big red flags - the financing for the deal fell through - Sounds like an excuse one might use to pawn shoddy workmanship off on a potential mark in hurry. The second is actually the nature of the issues the house has - for the most part these are simple fixes. Small, non-threatening and easily repairable. This begs the question "why would anyone allow a potential buyer to see this house in that condition when it wouldn't be much trouble to rectify these things" this tells me one of two things

1. They are trying to pawn off a nightmare and don't care about the little stuff because they are just looking to pull the wool over the first suckers eyes.

2. There are so many other problems that they just dont' have the ambition to treat the small stuff.

To me, its a bad sign.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
despriate4repairs

Uhhhh Ohhhh

Well its the inspector that found those.... I am uhmmm in iraq right now so i cant just pop down and go see it. but i saw the house and its so georgous..... I am just scared. i mean it says it has a warrenty but..... I dont know... i wonder the same thing. why would they shedual the inspector when it still looked like that? cause they are the ones that picked the day......

Old 05-11-2007, 06:54 AM   #15

Uhhhh Ohhhh

First off.... I'd look into the actual details of this 'warranty'....