Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
Pro Painter

Share |

Typical

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070601/..._investigation

This is typical of what is shown on tv and doesn't compare to how things are supposed to be done.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:40 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Typical

Yes, 'reality' TV is a type of show, not an accurate legal description of the show
They are game shows after all, and not real life or how-to shows

Interesting article
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
made in U.S.A.

Typical

Those shows are a joke.

I was speeding through the channels one night when I came across the "Tool Belt Divas", they were gonna stucco a dog house. Well, she was so weak that she could barely move the trowel across the lathe.

Then they take a break, comeback and guess what.....the dog house is perfectly plastered. I laughed my buns off.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Typical

Personally, that article just reiterates:

...Why there has been such a ''negative'' and STRONG dislike towards individuals and organizations who are desiring to jump into the ''Let's start Flipping houses'' craze...that the media has been promoting recently (Shall I say - ''actively'' promoting in the past 2-3 years).
FWIW- If you doubt this, try going into ANY of the many sites on the internet for Professional Contractor's forums...and tell them that you are a "House Flipper" .... and ''be ready'' for the greeting you will receive.

There really is a feeling in the professional building industry that the concept of doing minimal repairs in order to reap the highest profit on a home sale is VERY, very much looked down upon. (Now, I'm not saying that all ''flippers'' do this. It's just what the media is really focusing on, and that is: 'promoting a ''featured flipper's bottom dollar profit'').

In my humble opinion, it seems that the media(s) broadcasting the 'flipping-type shows' do not put much effort into bringing out a key motivational factor in the professional construction, renovation and remodeling fields.
That factor is simply; the primary goal and priority of professional building ethics is to; ''fix it right'', for professional integrity and for the trusting buyers or property owners.

When it comes down to it, professional builders and contractors need to make a living and a profit. But, we will never put profit and ''open house deadlines'' before taking the necessary time to do the job properly and to do it right.
It's a fact: ''Quality'' and doing a job "as quick as possible with limited skilled help''....simply don't work hand-in-hand.

The term "Flipping", several years ago encompassed a ''method'' of investment & resale.

.... Where as now, 'that flipping concept' (as promoted in the media) is now performed by people with no professional remodeling background (like the news article focused on)...who's soul goal.......appears to be: bottom line profit.....

........sadly it seems, .... at the expense of quality.

(Plese take these points as simply a 'personal editorial')

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-01-2007 at 10:21 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:33 PM   #5

Typical

I totally agree with WB

While the shows are interesting to watch, from the standpoint of how much can be accomplished toward improving a house, I don't think I would want to buy one of them. There are far too many amateurs out there.

Gerry
Gerry Kiernan is offline   Reply With Quote