Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 PM   #1

Share |

tornado

I mentioned this in another thread, just as a matter of closure for what had been a long evening, but with some more details, and it being that time of year, I thought that it could be beneficial to share a few details.

As you may have seen on the national news, a tornado hit Dexter, MI Thursday afternoon, between 5:30 and 6:00. The National Weather Service has now determined that this was an F3 storm, was approximately a half mile wide, and was on the ground for approximately 7.2 miles; no small beast. It came down in a populated area outside of town, went across an occupied golf course, traversed a wooded area, then enterered town, where it removed roofs, walls, and entire buildings, and dropped huge old trees on houses and across roads essential for first responders. It continued through a large subdivision at the outskirts of town, where it damaged and destroyed numerous homes. If you happened to see any of this on the news, it is this last subdivision that you probably saw, I assume because of the simple fact that it was most accessible to reporters and helicopters. The first area that this storm hit is still not accessible to reporters, or anyone else who does not live there, due to the fact that the primary road going through there was heavily strewn with downed trees and power lanes, and being a rural area, all of the roads are only two lane, which limits access to clean up crews. And, the streets in town were not immediately accessible due to downed trees, power lines, and the contents of people's homes blocking the streets. It was in the last subdivision where the home of one of my wife's coworkers sustained significant damage, and two blocks over, where another of her coworkers relatively new two story home is now only a basement.

In summary, an F3, which is pretty significant, and a half mile by 7.2 miles of destruction, a mostly populated area, not what I would call dense population, but populated nevertheless. And, for those of us who were not directly in the path of the tornado, the rainfall amounted to about 5" in just over an hour, accompanied by hail, some of which was about golf ball size, all of which made driving hazardous, during one of the peak travel times of the day.

The thing that I want to share though is that there were no deaths, and no serious injuries. In fact, I was told by a reliable source that nobody was even transported to the hospital. The human factor is being attributed to an active emergency warning system, and the fact that people heeded the warning. Granted, this storm moved slower than many, giving people time to act, but, nonetheless, none of it matters if warning signals are disregarded. We know many people who were directly affected by this storm, have talked with a lot of them, and they all say basically the same thing; "the house can be repaired", or "the house can be replaced", and I'm so glad that we went to the basement" (or other cover).
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DexterII For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (03-18-2012), user1007 (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #2

tornado

Good post.

You are absolutely correct. The most important condition regarding weather is that people know about it and heed it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

tornado

I'm glad your family and neighbors are all okay.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote