Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Security Systems Expert

Rewards Points: 10

Tools and equipment NOT made in china?

I'm rather distressed by the lack of tools ( power and hand ) that are not made in china. Does anyone have any knowledge of a particular brand that is manufactured elsewhere? I'm not necessarily looking for made in USA only, but just not in china. Thanks.

TheVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

i agree with you, as most of us here will. i always look for made in ANYwhere BUT china when making ANY purchases any more, not just tools. every tool i ever tried from there stunk, broke easily and/or simply did not do it's job. be ready to receive a ton of comments on this one! lol all i can say is read, read, read the labels/boxes and refuse chinese junk!

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVampire View Post
I'm rather distressed by the lack of tools ( power and hand ) that are not made in china. Does anyone have any knowledge of a particular brand that is manufactured elsewhere? I'm not necessarily looking for made in USA only, but just not in china. Thanks.
I took a quick look in the basement and found:

Milwaukee corldess set: drill-czech republic, circular saw and recipricating saw made in the USA.
Bosch planer-switzerland.
Paslode cordless framing and finish nailers-USA.
Dewalt screw gun-Mexico.
Wiha insulated screwdriver set-Germany.
A few cold chisels that were made right down the street from me at Baltimore Toolworks.

There are still a few things around that aren't made in China, but they're getting much harder to find.

Last edited by jerryh3; 07-27-2008 at 07:14 PM.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Believe it or not, even Chinese labour is pricing itself out of the market.

Be on the lookout for products made in Viet Nam, where the average salary is less than half of that paid to workers in Chinese factories. In fact, Chinese companies are "outsourcing" work to Vietnamese companies.

I have a Hilti TE-10 hammer drill made in Switzerland. I also have a Milwaukee heat gun that was made in the USA, a Cox caulking gun that was made in England and a Miki Model CI440 ceramic tile cutter that was made in Japan. And, I have a hand held flashlight that you keep squeezing a handle on to make it work that was made in Russia. (My dad bought it on a trip he made to his home country of Ukraine.) My tool box is well represented internationally.

I don't have any tools made in Togo or the Marshall Islands.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
Security Systems Expert

Vietnam is another one on my "no" list, but I've never seen tools from there, only clothes.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

As far as I'm concerned, I have NEVER seen anything come out of China that wasn't sub-standard, or poor quality!
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

After World War II, seeing "Made In Japan" on anything was proof of inferior quality. About the only things people got that were made in Japan were either free gifts in boxes of breakfast cereal or purchased for nickles and dimes in toy stores.

Me thinks that what we saw with Japan may be now repeated in China.

That is, the Chinese are not stupid. Their steel is not weaker. Their designs are not inherently inferior. The only difference is that their factory workers earn salaries that are lower and they can therefore sell their goods for less.

But, global economics is a hardly simple to understand, and even harder to predict. The more wealthy Chinese there are, the more those wealthy Chinese will be buying American made cars, Canadian lumber, Brazilian sugar, carpet from Australia, machinery from Japan, etc.

That is, a rising tide raises all ships. The Chinese will spend all of their newfound wealth only on Chinese good just like Americans and Canadians don't spend their money on imports from other countries. Don't be foolish. Those Chinese are going to spend their money on foreign imports just like we did. I recall when people bought Thorens turntables from Switzerland, Nakamichi amplifiers, Sony and Teac tape decks, and the list goes on. We have little to fear from prosperity abroad.

Ditto for India and Russia and Brazil, whose economies are also booming. As those nations become wealthier, they too will import Rolex watches from Switzerland, caviar from Russia, champagne from France, German made cars, Movies made in Hollywood, Canadian beer, men's suits from Italy, etc. They won't hoard thier money any more than we did.

If the future of the economy was predictable, we wouldn't always be so surprised how things work out so differently than we expected. The 1980's were a time of factory closings and widespread unemployment. The 1990's, on the other hand, were a time of widespread economic growth. Ditto for most of the 2000's. In 1980 you would have predicted that things would continue to get worse and worse until we all froze to death in the dark. Fact is, that except for a few periods during wars, the living standard of people here in North America has continued to rise throughout history. We live longer and generally happier lives now than at any time in the past. We have more leisure time now to devote to our personal interests, and many more ways to persue those interests. We continue to enjoy all the benefits that our developing technology provides. Nowadays, even someone who's earning minimum wage has a colour TV, a microwave oven, a cell phone and a car. How can we say that that's a step backward from where we were in the 1960's where colour TV's showed people with orange faces, a "Radar range" cost three weeks wages, the only one with a wrist radio was Dick Tracy and cars were lower in price but less affordable than they are now.

I, too, am concerned that North America won't continue to lead the world in economic prosperity. But, I'm not at all concerned that our living standard will decline. We will continue to become healthier and live longer, happier lives. We will continue to have more leisure time to devote to our personal interests. And, our own lives will continue to become easier (although that may be the devil in disguise considering that lack of exercise is becoming more and more of a problem in North American youth). The future simply isn't as predictable as we presume it to be. It's not nearly as futuristic as we predicted in the 1950's (remember the book "1984"), but it's not nearly as pessimistic as we predicted in the 1980's (when they predicted that overpopulation and air pollution would destroy us by the year 2000).

I just think that things change, and we change with them, and there's nothing new in that at all.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-27-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:58 AM   #8
Security Systems Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
After World War II, seeing "Made In Japan" on anything was proof of inferior quality.
You misunderstand. It's not because of quality, but because of their politics.

I don't want to buy things from a country that has occupied and held prisoner an entire other country ( Tibet ) for many years and threatens to invade another democratic country (Taiwan).

They strap women onto tables and force them to have abortions, sometimes in their 8th and 9th months.

A country that arrests and confines catholic priests, that has government monitors in every church and does not permit "unlicensed" churches.

Lead posioning, tainted pet food, harvesting organs from prisoners, currency manipulation, support for terrorists, providing uranium and missle tech to Iran, etc. etc. etc.

Just the fact alone that they held US POW's captured during Korea in secret ( and lied about it ) for many years should be enough for any true American to vow to never again purchase their products.

I could go on for quite some time, but you get the idea.

Free trade requires free people. Anything less is an unbalanced equation.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #9

I am sure that they can and will build quality products, but so far, that day isn't here yet.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #10
Security Systems Expert

Today was looking for drywall tools. Kudos to Warner tools for made in USA. Very big thumbs down to Kobalt, which was all made in red china.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #11

Sorry, but I recollect nothing of good quality that has come from China. Remember what I posted before. The Chinese CAN make something of good quality, I just haven't seen it yet. Of course, I can only go by my own experience. All the power tools I have owned over the years that were made in China, never lasted too long. Of course, there are a lot of people that can't afford an American made product, but now that I think about it, its getting harder and harder to FIND something made in the USA.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,012

The difference between what China is or will be and what Japan became is that a large part of China's economy is the result of US setting up shop in China to take advantage of a less expensive workforce. Japan on the other hand matured on their own with better engineered products. Yes the US rebuilt thier factories after WWII but it's the engineering and total quality management methodologies that made thier products rise to the top.
It's not so much the fact that it's made in China, it's the pre-planned obsolescence that's engineering into products. There's a fine line between quality and junk. Tool manufacturer's are like any other manufacturer, they try to build failure into their products while still giving the user a sense of a quality. If it fails too soon, it's junk and you won't buy the same brand, if it last too long, they can't sell you another one until it breaks, but if it last's just long enough...