Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Too many people don't understand that "Replacement Windows" lose glass size!

I'm a little saddened that there are so many people that I've bumped into that just don't know the difference between Replacement and New Construction windows.

I'm guessing it's likely rampant because:
  1. There are a number of "contractors" (<---sarcastic quotes intended) who only do Replacement windows and have no interest whatsoever in educating others.
  2. New Construction windows cost more, require more work inside and out, and contractors are trying to wow people away from lower prices heard elsewhere.
But I've just recently heard ANOTHER person who bought "all new windows" and has no idea why they came out smaller. IN FACT, in one case they replaced them with replacements AND had most of the same new construction issues done anyway due to unforeseen rot. So many of the replacements had extra jams put in.

I hope there's somehow a bit of a class-action against the bigger players in this, but I cannot (unfortunately) see it succeeding.

tgm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:17 AM   #2

As a window "Contractor", I'm not sure I understand where you're going with this...

"New Construction Windows" are manufactured for... you guessed it... New Home Construction. The absolute only difference between these and "Replacement Windows" is that there is a nailing fin to nail these to the framework of the house.

A "Replacement Window" isn't always smaller than the original window. When installing a replacement window in an old wood double hung window, yes, it's smaller. When replacing an old metal casement, it's usually the same size.

There is nothing wrong with replacing old original windows with new construction windows. That is, unless you consider removing brick, wood siding, vinyl siding, stucco, dryvit or anything else adjacent to the original window wrong. In most cases... actually, in every case when we explain what it would take to install a "New Construction Window" in place of the original window homeowners would rather not have the exterior and interior of their home tore apart just to have new windows.

When installed properly, replacement windows will look like they were part of the original construction of the home in most cases.

So: Would you rather have replacement windows and give up 2-4" of glass; or would you rather have that 2-4" of glass and mismatched bricks and/or mortar, mismatched vinyl or aluminum siding, have to paint new plaster and stucco which will lead to painting the entire house, or... well... you get the idea.

Yes, file suit against the "big players" for offering a retrofit solution for a homeowner's problem. Should file suit against the flooring companies too since underlayment steals 1/2" of ceiling height too.

GB Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GB Greg For This Useful Post:
hoz49 (12-01-2010), mrs1885 (01-06-2011), Scuba_Dave (12-01-2010), TomB (01-18-2011)
Old 12-01-2010, 07:59 AM   #3

Hey tgm1024,
I am Gregg and I guess I can see where your frustrations are coming from, but replacement windows are designed to be smaller. They are suppose to fit inside the existing window. I don't think there is a way around that. Replacement windows are extremely beneficial for homes with old windows that have awesome woodwork around them.

"Yes, file suit against the "big players" for offering a retrofit solution for a homeowner's problem. Should file suit against the flooring companies too since underlayment steals 1/2" of ceiling height too." GB Greg.

That's awesome. I've been trying to sue the company that made my hardwood for years. Ever since it was installed I cant use my exercise trampoline in my living room.

Last edited by gotogregg; 12-01-2010 at 08:12 AM.
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 AM   #4

You have missed the point that many of the people I've been speaking to have been taken by surprise. I have replaced with New Construction windows---I'm not the one surprised.

Make light of the point all you want, but losing that 2" (or more) of glass size is heartbreaking to many when it happens without them knowing of it. It's about having it explained to the person---I'm betting many of them (like me) would pay the extra for new construction windows.

And far too many of them just are not having it explained to them----perhaps for the reasons I listed out.

And losing that much glass is in no way comparable to losing a half inch of floor to ceiling height.

Last edited by tgm1024; 12-01-2010 at 08:35 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tgm1024 For This Useful Post:
gotogregg (12-01-2010), Tom Struble (01-06-2011)
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
the Musigician

A guy up the street had the same problem.
They never mentioned to him that the viewing area would be inches smaller.
Not much he could do after all was said and done though.

DM
Old 12-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogregg View Post
That's awesome. I've been trying to sue the company that made my hardwood for years. Ever since it was installed I cant use my exercise trampoline in my living room.
Yeah, I imagine it'd be heck trying to spackle in all those " dents in the ceiling...... *grin*

DM
gotogregg (12-01-2010)
Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #7
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
And losing that much glass is in no way comparable to losing a half inch of floor to ceiling height.
That's your opinion. I find the 1/2" of lost floor to ceiling height to be MUCH worse than lost window glass.
VersaBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
40+yrs Paint Trades

Just wondering tgm1024, what do you do for a living?
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoz49 View Post
Just wondering tgm1024, what do you do for a living?
A stay a home dad. Once a long time software engineer / software architect / software mumblemumble.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #10

Curious. It's ok with me, but why was this thread moved to "off topic"? The whole issue is that people are being surprised by this. It seems like something they would have benefited from. A search on replacement windows in the construction or remodeling sub-forum would yield this info specifically.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 10

Can I sue my ancestors because I wasn't born better looking and rich?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
40+yrs Paint Trades

No one cares? The obvious advantages of having replacement windows over the old double hung outweighs the loss of 2"? Only an "engineer" would bother?
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:56 AM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 10

And if I steal enough "1/2" ceiling heights", I'll use them to add another floor to my house.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:57 AM   #14

I expect it was moved because it originally read as a soap box rant or even a complaint rather than an FYI.
GB Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I hope there's somehow a bit of a class-action against the bigger players in this, but I cannot (unfortunately) see it succeeding.
Who exactly do you mean by "the bigger players? The manufacturer? I don't really see how they can change anything. The problem is with the individual contractors who do not mention it, but I wouldn't consider them "bigger players".

I'd love 5 minutes alone with the "contractor" who redid the bathroom in our house while the previous owner lived there to talk to him about his "methods" but that doesn't mean I'm blaming the manufacturer of the electrical supplies he installed incorrectly.

I'd love to replace my 80 yr old windows w/ new construction ones, but I am sure as hell not pulling my 3 yr old siding off so I'm going replacement.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote