Tomato Seeds - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2012, 01:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,352

Tomato seeds

I was going to put this in the Landscaping & Lawn Care forum, but it doesn't really fit in there either.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows how to save the seeds from a fresh tomato.

I bought some of the best tomatoes I've ever tasted from a farmer last weekend and canned most of them. But two of them were past their prime and couldn't be canned.

I saved those two and want to keep some of the seeds from them to plant in my garden next year.

I don't know what kind they are, but the farmer said they've been growing the same ones since the early '80's and it's an old variety. When I go back to get more, I'll ask what kind they are.

I did set some of the seeds aside after I rinsed them really well in a strainer, but they're all stuck together in clumps now. Is there a better way to save them?

Barb

Advertisement

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tomato seeds

She says to spread them out on a paper towel, then save them in an envelope.
Also, she says you might try growing some over the winter?
She also says you need to mail her some.... or just stop on by and drop some off. Po)

DM

Advertisement

gma2rjc (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #3

Tomato seeds

Thanks! I tried drying some on a paper plate and they stuck to it. I'll try the paper towel.

The main problem is that they stick together and don't want to separate when they're dry.

I'll send or bring her some other seeds I've saved this year too. Hopefully we can get down there for a visit before the snow falls.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,142

Tomato seeds

Make sure they are really dry and they should scrape off easily and be separate.

The next thing to do with the unknown variety is see if they will germinate. Many hybrid seeds will not germinate or product fruit.

Also, the growing soil, moisture and exposure has big influence on the qualities of the tomato fruit produced. - Just like grapes for wine, which are very fussy.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concretemasonry For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
the Musigician

Tomato seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
Hopefully we can get down there for a visit before the snow falls.
You know we always enjoy visiting with you Barb.

hmmm.... I think if the guy says they grow the same variety year after year, it's a good bet they'll grow from the seeds. Of course, you never know until you try!

DM
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Tomato seeds

Back in the days when women wore pantyhose, I used to let the anticipation build up so I almost could not stand it anymore. I would then savagely rip them off great looking legs so I had something to use for hanging bulbs and drying seeds.

"Dr. Fluffy, what is the big deal! You walked out of here this morning with a run in them anyhow! It is not like you are going to wear them again! What did I do wrong?"

"You let me walk out of the house with a run in my stockings and you think this is funny right?"

Boys/Men There is no right answer to that question I promise. Well actually there may be but keep it to yourselves.

You risk rotting the seeds just laying them on a flat surface. You need some screen, membrane or something that will allow airflow to provide air space around all sides of them or they will just rot on you. Never underestimate the energy seeds store.

When helping rescue a little town in Iowa a chef friend and I planted a few rows of legacy and heirloom tomatoes. The nightshade family can kill people but if historic accounts are true, it might be worth it on the way out. My fave were these white and purple things we grew. Yumm is not even close to describing them. I guess if you can get beyond thinking tomatoes have to be red---they were.

Last edited by user1007; 09-08-2012 at 09:11 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-09-2012)
Old 09-09-2012, 12:26 AM   #7

Tomato seeds

Thanks! I hadn't thought of drying them in nylons. I'll give that a try too.

Quote:
"Dr. Fluffy, what is the big deal! You walked out of here this morning with a run in them anyhow! It is not like you are going to wear them again! What did I do wrong?"

"You let me walk out of the house with a run in my stockings and you think this is funny right?"

Boys/Men There is no right answer to that question I promise. Well actually there may be but keep it to yourselves.

Advertisement