Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-28-2012, 07:33 AM   #1

Share |

Ticketed Michigan No USDOT on vehicle

Anyone get this? Van plated and used for personal use. Hooked up light duty open trailer with total combined vehicle weight 6300 according to professional scales Went shopping and loaded up at Menards to do home renovation project Michigan State police ticketed for no USDOT said we have to put sign on the truck doors.?? Michigan Website really says no such thing! Vehicle not commercial. Driver (husband and wife) not in business and Not a business. Vehicle not over 10,001 lbs. etc Used vehicle to transport bldg materials to fix own house. Went to court magistrate said will set up for trial.. Any tips would be appreciated, this is just not right! But what the heck do you do..

katk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Not so new

Call ur lawyer.

12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Did you call the DOT to ask them about it?

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Keep posting this same question all over the web on various forums. Sooner or later, you will get some Internet Lawyer to advise you what to do.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

You fight it in court on principle, as long as you really aren't engaged in any form of commerce. You don't even need the DOT # for commercial use unless you're Gross Combined Weight (trailer & tow unit) are registered over 10K.

Unfortunately, MI is broke and they've been ramping up their efforts to raise revenue through DOT tickets for years. The good news is that it sounds like they may actually be turning back some over-bearing DOT regs in the very near future.............
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jomama45 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (03-28-2012)
Old 03-29-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

Your suggestions are appreciated. Called Michigan Center for Truck Safety and Michigan Public Service Commision which refer you to the publication on the web Q & A (FAQs) Michigan Intrastrate USDOT Numbers. They list 4 criteria of which we don't fit The officer told the magistrate we were 8800lb. Don't know where he gets that from. And is not true. The mfg sticker on the van door panel says 6600. And our homemade trailer is so light weight it rides on the wheels if I pick up a yard of top soil. At any rate I guess the magistrate ignores the 10,001 lb rule as well . I can't wrap my head around how the police are ticketing anyone that clearly is not those items?
Thought maybe this ticket could be fought on points of law such as it is written as Commercial Law Citation. We are not a business which they can check with the state or the IRs. Our license plates are not commercial plates. They are private or personal and handicap plates at that! Maybe I can post this in a legal forum , thanks for that idea.
I say Michigan is Money Grubbing , this is low. We are retired on a fixed income, I wrote that to the court and apparently it all goes out the window

What next? they post police sting out side of every home improvement store?
katk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:04 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

And posting to a legal website forum is not going to do anything. Do yourself a favor and contact a lawyer. They cost money, but it will be worth it vs wasting time on random web forums.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #8

katk, I hope you can get this resolved.

I don't know if this will help, but try calling the Consumer Protection Agency (State Attorney Generals' Office) at (517) 373-1140.

And/Or, try calling your Ombudsman. I don't know what part of Michigan you're in, but here's a website that might help.

http://www.locate-a-ombudsman.com/Mi...Ombudsman.html

My friend has used an Ombudsman a few times over the years when she's had problems she couldn't get resolved fairly.

Best of luck to you.

Barb

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by katk View Post
Your suggestions are appreciated. Called Michigan Center for Truck Safety and Michigan Public Service Commision which refer you to the publication on the web Q & A (FAQs) Michigan Intrastrate USDOT Numbers. They list 4 criteria of which we don't fit The officer told the magistrate we were 8800lb. Don't know where he gets that from. And is not true. The mfg sticker on the van door panel says 6600. And our homemade trailer is so light weight it rides on the wheels if I pick up a yard of top soil. At any rate I guess the magistrate ignores the 10,001 lb rule as well . I can't wrap my head around how the police are ticketing anyone that clearly is not those items?
Thought maybe this ticket could be fought on points of law such as it is written as Commercial Law Citation. We are not a business which they can check with the state or the IRs. Our license plates are not commercial plates. They are private or personal and handicap plates at that! Maybe I can post this in a legal forum , thanks for that idea.
I say Michigan is Money Grubbing , this is low. We are retired on a fixed income, I wrote that to the court and apparently it all goes out the window

What next? they post police sting out side of every home improvement store?
From what you're saying, you'll be fine if you take it to court. I highly doubt the officer will show up, considering how busy they are writing out BS tickets.

I've heard for years, mostly from residents, how ridiculous lower MI issues non-sense DOT tickets. It's certainly not uncommon for a judge to throw them out. If you need more info, PM me with your location, as I might be able to help you out with someone local who's been through this several times, and will help you merely because it's the right thing to do........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

The only possible snag would be if the van has an advertisement or commercial identification on it even if you only use it for personal use.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:24 AM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

My brother lives in Ohio, says they are the same way.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
no usdot