Texas Explosion - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Texas explosion

Wednesday night a fertilizer plant in West, Tx (a small town in central Tx - about 45 to 50 miles south of Dallas) exploded after a fire broke out leveling or severely damaging about everything within a 5 block area. 200+ are injured, numerous have lost there homes and all personal property. Not sure how many are dead, but many are presumed dead, including several firefighters and emts. Please keep the families and the whole community in your thoughts and prayers.

Advertisement

Centex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

Texas explosion

been a tough week, first here in Boston and now in Texas .... I heard last night it was between 5 and 15 that had perished, didn't see the news tonight

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Texas explosion

That explosion was something else and just leveled everything around it. When they were first referencing Waco I thought, "Oh know. Here we go again" but it turned out just to be a tragic accident. Same science at work as the McVay nonsense years ago at the federal building though.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

Texas explosion

even after Oklahoma City bombing 20 years ago people sometimes forget the power of fertilizer. on April 16, 1947, 66 years before this recent accident an even larger fertilizer disaster hit Texas City, Texas ........ http://www.local1259iaff.org/disaster.html

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Texas explosion

I remember seeing a tv show about the TX disaster you mention.

Of course in the midwest even isolated anhydrous ammonia tanks are at the source of an ever growing meth problem. Idjuts are not always real careful about how they tap them.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Texas explosion

Heard this morning that the plant had not had a real OSHA inspection since 1985. I find that rather hard to believe but one wonders. I suppose if there were no incidents it could be. OSHA has had its budget slashed over the years and we seem to like hands off policy until something happens? One assumes the plant did its own self-inspections and this may just have been a terrible accident. In learning more, I did not realize the fire had been going for an hour before the tank exploded.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,648

Texas explosion

One of the things that you find when you get out into the boonies of Texas and other southern states....industry gets moved there so as to avoid prying eyes.....small counties....no money....easy to buy your way around.

Just wait....now that people have died....a lot of people are going to be talking.....

In those areas....a majority of 1st responders are are volunteers....it's my understanding that at least 10 of those killed were 1st responders....or, volunteers....men and women who most likely have left families behind with little chance of getting in compensation for their loss...

My heart goes out to them

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 990

Texas explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
even after Oklahoma City bombing 20 years ago people sometimes forget the power of fertilizer. on April 16, 1947, 66 years before this recent accident an even larger fertilizer disaster hit Texas City, Texas ........ http://www.local1259iaff.org/disaster.html
This obviously happened before my time, but I grew up around there. There's a memorial set up that was recently re-done a few years ago. I'll see if I have any pictures from it.

That thing that blows my mind, is that boat anchor flew a half mile through the air. That is some insane force.
r0ckstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10

Texas explosion

Seen the damage from the blast. It is crazy to think fertilizer could do such a thing.
JoeTheBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:53 AM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Texas explosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheBuilder View Post
Seen the damage from the blast. It is crazy to think fertilizer could do such a thing.
Sorry to bring it up ., But I know how the fertilizer can do with that.(how to do that expolison that part I can not comment for safety issue )

We did have fertilizer plant expolison in France sometime back if you want the info I will have to dig it up.

And even nonfertilizer plant can do pretty good damage with expolison if done right.

Merci,
Marc
Old 04-24-2013, 08:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 524

Texas explosion

Quote:
We used to use ANFO (Amonium nitrate ( fertilizer) and fuel oil)to remove old tree stumps on my uncles farm. Did not take too much to make a big hole in the ground. Definatly wanted to be far away and ears covered when that went off.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,698

Texas explosion

Quote:
And Joe it's even more difficult to believe the grain bread is made from could kill, injure and destroy. Google grain elevator explosion to see some of the results. It is a constant concern for those that work there but seldom makes national news.

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/grainhandli...sionchart.html
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Texas explosion

This is really awful news. Read it in the other forum this morning. I hope the people who were affected by this will recover soon.

Advertisement

roofingquotes is offline   Reply With Quote