Teen Driver Tweets Pic Of Dying Man - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Teen Driver Tweets Pic of Dying Man

A perfect example of misplaced priorities of our youth.....

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...paign=outbrain

Quote:
Legal obligations aside, let us throw out a moral question: if you saw someone motionless in the street, critically injured following a hit and run accident, would you phone for police and render aid, or would you snap a pic of the dying victim and Tweet about it?

A nineteen-year-old driver in Edinburgh, Scotland, opted to do the latter when he saw a body in the road outside Edinburgh’s Ocean Terminal. The injured man, who had been sleeping in the road prior to being struck by a car, was later pronounced dead at the Edinburg Royal Infirmary.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,258

What a POS.

This, unfortunately, is not a problem that relegated to only people in his generation.

I see this kind of cowardice and absence of character in many people today.

Picture of the POS.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...icle-1.1125629

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,692

yeah. what a POS.

but. is someone legally obligated to help someone else ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
yeah. what a POS.

In the case of an automobile related accident- yes, you can be charged with failure to render aid, or leaving the scene of an accident.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75
Smile

Quote:
yeah. what a POS.

I would think if the time of the accident were After the person took a picture of someone sleeping or passed out in the road, then they could be charged with a crime.
I don't think that you can legislate morality nor do I think you should try. I personally would risk injury to myself to help that person. I've never found myself in that situation, so I certainly hope that I would. Hope you had a good day. Bluwolf
Edit After thinking about it, if they had gotten help quickly, that injured person, in theory, might still be alive, so they should be legally obligated

Last edited by Bluwolf; 06-16-2013 at 09:47 PM. Reason: change of mind
Bluwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,490

That happened recently at a motorcycle accident scene. People were taking pictures of the victim that got hit by a SUV, lying on the ground dying, while others were attending, to try to stabilize him.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
In the case of an automobile related accident- yes, you can be charged with failure to render aid, or leaving the scene of an accident.
yeah, if you were involved in the accident. but what if you were a bystander ?

or : you were just robbed on the street. the guy turned to run, and got hit by a car.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:03 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75
Smile

Quote:

or : you were just robbed on the street. the guy turned to run, and got hit by a car.
Fix'n, great question, scenario #2! With scenario #1, I think Rwolff post would still apply. With scenario #2, I think it still might apply.
What of the guy's kids were starving and he didn't know what else to do? What if, your decision to help him, saved his life, and your actions made such an impression on him that he turned his life completely around and ended up changing many other lives?
Just a thought. Here's another scenario;
What if he broke onto your house, threatend bodily harm to you and your family? In that scenario, I think you need to protect yourself & family. Even if he doesn't show a weapon, you have to assume his intentions. Squeeze t..... 3 times with mortal intent. The law, at least in our area would be on your side. "Hamilton County, Ohio" Bluwolf
Bluwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
JOATMON

Actually....it's pretty simple.....if he had time to tweet....he had time to call 911....

On the above scenario's....you saw what happened.....this kid did not....so instead of calling 911....he thought it was better to share a pic with his friends....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
Old 06-17-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
If you were not involved in the actual accident the leaving a scene of an accident probably doens't apply, but failure to render aid probably would apply, in any case regardless- you can bet the victim's FAMILY would find some lawyer happy to take the person to court to sue for damages for failing to act. If nothing else, the bystander would then have to pay an attorney, take off work, go to court and battle it out.
On the other hand, a robber who just took my money, turned and got hit by a car is TOUGH LUCK PAL for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluwolf View Post
Just a thought. Here's another scenario;
What if he broke onto your house, threatend bodily harm to you and your family? In that scenario, I think you need to protect yourself & family. Even if he doesn't show a weapon, you have to assume his intentions. Squeeze t..... 3 times with mortal intent. The law, at least in our area would be on your side. "Hamilton County, Ohio" Bluwolf
My state is a SHALL issue state, and I do have a license to carry along with training at classes taught by a full time city police officer who has a side business of FA training.
In the above scenario, the moment his two feet are planted on the floor inside my house threatening me, he gets 5 shots or 6 shots depending on which gun I grab first to ensure he won't get get the usual "tough sentence" these days for breaking and entering or attempted robbery: 90 days or whatever, with credit for good behavior, and come back for revenge.

Yesterday a lost dog wound up in my yard, I had work I was just about to do in the studio and happened to see something move outside the window. I corralled the little guy and then spent the better part of an hour trying to find a resource for him, police dept local number- no answer, vet said call the polcie dept they have access to their kennel to put him there, so I wound up riding around town to find a police car, after 10 minutes I did, and the officer was eating dinner, so I told him about the situation and told him take his time and come out when he could.
Half hour later he came and said he knew who the dog belonged to, since by now I had him in an airline crate for safe keeping, I offered to slide it in my stationwagon and go with the officer to the owner's house so he wouldn't have to mess up his patrol car's back seat (the dog was wet)
So after all that was taken care of I probably spent 2 hours on this and gave up trying to do some studio time. After that my dogs were all riled up and anxious about a strange dog being in their turf, and I didn't get much sleep last night.

The dog was an innocent victim, he escaped the fenced yard 4 blocks away and was panting like heck (English Pug), I did what I could and took a proactive approach, that is what neighbors should do.

But a robber or burglar is not some innocent victim of an accident, they willingly put themselves at risk to commit crimes, if they are injured or worse in the act of commiting a crime of violence, I say OH FREAKING WELL!!!

Last edited by RWolff; 06-17-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Architectural Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
That happened recently at a motorcycle accident scene. People were taking pictures of the victim that got hit by a SUV, lying on the ground dying, while others were attending, to try to stabilize him.
Well of course, they gotta get those videos up on YOUTUBE (or any of the gore or violent video sites such as Liveleak) so they can see how many "hits" they get, that's the big craze and almost everyone's goal these days- seeing how many HITS they can get on youtube!
It's unbelievable the stupid stuff people do to put videos up there, including shooting bullets at full 5 gallon propane tanks, filming fights, even setting dogs on fire and filming it- I have SEEN it, all kinds of garbage, so it doesn't surprise me.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluwolf View Post
What of the guy's kids were starving and he didn't know what else to do? What if, your decision to help him, saved his life, and your actions made such an impression on him that he turned his life completely around and ended up changing many other lives?
can't live in a world of "whats ifs"
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWolff View Post
If you were not involved in the actual accident the leaving a scene of an accident probably doens't apply, but failure to render aid probably would apply, in any case regardless- you can bet the victim's FAMILY would find some lawyer happy to take the person to court to sue for damages for failing to act. If nothing else, the bystander would then have to pay an attorney, take off work, go to court and battle it out.

my point is : how can someone be obligated to become part of something that is none of their business ? and, in the act of renduring aid, harm may become the helper.

as the saying goes = just be a witness.

for me to to decide what to do, depends on what is happening.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #14

Quote:
my point is : how can someone be obligated to become part of something that is none of their business ? and, in the act of renduring aid, harm may become the helper.

as the saying goes = just be a witness.
One would hope you'd be morally obligated, if not legally. The welfare of your fellow man should certainly be "your business" if you're in a position to help and it doesn't hurt you to do so. If someone is dangling off a cliff, sure, no one expects you to risk your life to save them. If someone was hit by a car and needs you to call 911? You deserve nothing but the WORST this planet has to offer if you can't be bothered to even do such a simple thing to potentially save someone's life.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #15
JOATMON

Maybe we should all look at it this way.......

If you were the one on the side of the road dying.....what would you want a passerbyer to do?

1. Take a pic and tweet it to your friends?

2. Call 911?

Advertisement