Technology For Students - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Technology for Students

I'm renting a small (furnished) house to a group of university students and I'm not sure what I should provide to make it a "cool" place to live. I was asked when they signed the lease if Internet and TV would be provided. . . I told them it would be, but this was a detail I'd overlooked when I was planning to rent it. I'm aware that this house has a few rough years ahead of it, so I don't want to buy lots of really expensive things, just in case, but I want it to be fun.

There will be 4 people living there and here's what I've been looking at -
Internet
3mbps DSL w/ WiFi equipment
Home Phone
Unlimited Long Distance
Voice Mail
One phone w/ caller ID box in kitchen.
Television (In "living room")
Rooftop Antenna (Able to receive all local stations)
32inch LCD HDTV
DVD/VHS Combo
Laserdisc Player
Televisions (In bedrooms)
TV/DVD Combo w/ Digital Set-Top Box
Stereo (In "living room")
CD Player
Cassette Deck
AM/FM Tuner

Most of these are things I already have, but I have no technological knowledge whatsoever. Any comments would be most appreciated.

Advertisement

Last edited by michaelson; 06-07-2011 at 12:55 AM.
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Technology for Students

Have you had rental properties before?

I have had several rental over the years - never would I supply TV and stereo or any such equipment. Even if you have it on hand, you are placing yourself on the hook for repairs and replacements down the road.

No way any telephone service would I provide - way too many ways for it to be abused and end up costing you a bunch of money.

You commited to Internet and TV - to me that means basic cable TV service and basic Internet service via cable - no more. I do now and have had rentals where I provided cable TV - as the rental units were part of a condo or other association that provided these services bundled as part of the HOA fees.

Advertisement

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #3

Technology for Students

I have not had rental properties before. I'm hoping to hold to property at cost and then renovate it when I decide to move back in after I retire. I just can't afford to keep it empty until I'm ready to live there again.

Obviously if they break my equipment I will happily deduct the cost from their security deposit.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,286

Technology for Students

I second vsheets----

Skip the phone--it's not even needed,they will have cell phones.

cable service? Now your stuck--just basic cable and internet.

College kids will dig up their own t.v. sets--if you provide them they will be destroyed so buy used.

That security deposit will only cover so much damage--You will have plenty of spoiled rugs and paint with most college kids---there won't be enough money to buy t.v. sets and such.

The kids will make the place fun---you need to make it safe and rugged.---Mike---
Old 06-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #5
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Technology for Students

I'm finally old enough to have forgotten that I'm no longer college aged

All this aside the places I thought were cool back in the day were:

-cheap rent
- good location
- push over landlords

Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Technology for Students

I'm not going to come right out and ask, "Are you crazy?!?!" But are you?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #7

Technology for Students

I promised that there would be internet with wireless and a TV set (since I'm renting it furnished), I didn't specify cable TV.

Here's a revised list, what do you think about this?

Television
32inch LCD HDTV w/ America's Top 120 Plus from Dish Network
DVD/VHS Combo

Internet
7mbps DSL w/ wireless equipment

Last edited by michaelson; 06-07-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 06-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Technology for Students

That sounds reasonable.

Did you think about desks and some good lighting.... just in case they happen to get in the mood to do a little studying during all the 'fun' you hope to provide?
Old 06-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

Technology for Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelson View Post
I promised that there would be internet with wireless
Don't expect me to hang out with your junior renters.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #10

Technology for Students

Yes, there are two sizable desks (one in each bedroom) and bright overhead lights in each room. Also, the kitchen is well lit with a large kitchen table and there is a built-in "desklet" where I used to keep my computer when I lived there.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #11

Technology for Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelson View Post
I promised that there would be internet with wireless and a TV set (since I'm renting it furnished), I didn't specify cable TV.

Here's a revised list, what do you think about this?

Television
32inch LCD HDTV w/ America's Top 120 Plus from Dish Network
DVD/VHS Combo

Internet
7mbps DSL w/ wireless equipment

Better. But is this the cheapest TV and services you can get? If not, then it's more than you should to provide, IMO.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #12

Technology for Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I'm not going to come right out and ask, "Are you crazy?!?!" But are you?

The Following User Says Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-07-2011)
Old 06-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #13

Technology for Students

Why do I sound crazy?

I actually did speak with the guys who are renting and they said that having fast internet with WiFi is most important and having some kind of TV set which they can use for their XBOX 360. They actually said that not having cable would be fine and that's how its set up now with the antenna. I found a U-VERSE internet plan which costs only $40/month and that's FAR less than I expected to be dishing out before.

So my final plan (and what I will agree to from now on with future tenants)

Television
32inch HDTV w/ Rooftop Antenna
(Buy your own cable if desired)

Internet
18mbps U-VERSE w/ Wireless Equipment
Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 AM   #14
Learning by Doing

Technology for Students

You are only crazy if your renters are not the children of(or are) personal friends.

You're going way above and beyond for some random tenants.

College students SHOULD pay their own utilities (all of them). How else do they learn to be grown-ups?

They should also learn the fun of living in late 20th century thrift-store decor. 13 years out of college and I still have a piece or two I scrounged in my college days.

I've rented 'furnished' apartments in college. We got sofa, chair, bed, desk, dresser. That's it. And when we moved in their wasn't a single light-bulb in the place; I assume because the prior tenants Took them when they left.

Good luck. I won't bother you with stories about people I knew who destroyed their rentals in college, or who had to be evicted for failing to pay their rent....
Old 06-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Old School

Technology for Students

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
You are only crazy if your renters are not the children of(or are) personal friends.

You're going way above and beyond for some random tenants.

College students SHOULD pay their own utilities (all of them). How else do they learn to be grown-ups?

They should also learn the fun of living in late 20th century thrift-store decor. 13 years out of college and I still have a piece or two I scrounged in my college days.

I've rented 'furnished' apartments in college. We got sofa, chair, bed, desk, dresser. That's it. And when we moved in their wasn't a single light-bulb in the place; I assume because the prior tenants Took them when they left.

Good luck. I won't bother you with stories about people I knew who destroyed their rentals in college, or who had to be evicted for failing to pay their rent....
Now the crux of the matter is gelling.

Very few college students are paying for their own education. Mom and Dad are doing that. And many of them receive a substantial boost in the coin purse every month. More, when they make the 'emergency' phone call home.

We are raising a generation that will unfortunately never be allowed to learn true self-sufficiency. And that's a shame. But strangers can help by giving them just enough of a rough road that they aren't sliding all the way through school on smooth ice.

Some of the teachers and profs that I recall the most affectionately (and with the greater degrees of respect) are the ones who 'gave' me very little. I can successfully work and survive under almost any circumstances today primarily because of them... NOT really my parents.

Advertisement