Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

Take the computer outside?

Aaahh! Finally, got the house to myself and thought, "I'm going to bring the laptop outside, sit with a cold beer and just relax".

After less than a minute, I noticed condensation on the computer screen and the rest of the computer. It's 75 deg. inside and in the 90's outside.

Would the condensation have eventually effected/damaged the rest of the computer if I had stayed out in the heat?

I would have posted this in the computer forum, but it's not really that big of a deal. Just hadn't ever thought about that happening to a computer.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
the Musigician

The humidity certainly could cause problems, yes. You need to keep the machine inside where it STAYS cool and dry from the A/C.

DM

Old 08-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
I'm Your Huckleberry

My guess is H2O!! <snicker>
Old 08-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by gma2rjc View Post
"I'm going to bring the laptop outside, sit with a cold beer and just relax".
That's exactly what I'm doing right now.

I must say though, I have never had condensation form on my computer after taking it outdoors in any weather. The cooling fan will work OT, but there's never water.

To answer your specific question - yes. Electronics and water don't mix.

Last edited by Jay 78; 08-03-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I was once assigned a laptop by my company. I traveled more than any others and was always stuffing it under airline seats, tossing it into cab trunks in -20 and 80 weather in the same day. Of all the laptops of same model, mine was the only that survived more than six months without problems. In fact, I had it until they issued me a new one.

Now then. It is probably not a good idea to operate the things in high humidity or temperature ranges beyond what is recommended. And most damaging is going from extremes quickly like you did. Temp was not the deal but the quick change in humidity even beyond the condensation.

Oh well. Does anybody remember the movie "Electric Dreams" about an architect that spills champaign in his desktop and the thing mutates and becomes jealous of his relationship with a cello player. Total sap but fun.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I was once assigned a laptop by my company. I traveled more than any others and was always stuffing it under airline seats, tossing it into cab trunks in -20 and 80 weather in the same day. Of all the laptops of same model, mine was the only that survived more than six months without problems. In fact, I had it until they issued me a new one.

Now then. It is probably not a good idea to operate the things in high humidity or temperature ranges beyond what is recommended. And most damaging is going from extremes quickly like you did. Temp was not the deal but the quick change in humidity even beyond the condensation.

Oh well. Does anybody remember the movie "Electric Dreams" about an architect that spills champaign in his desktop and the thing mutates and becomes jealous of his relationship with a cello player. Total sap but fun.

You're a strange one
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:06 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You're a strange one
Yeah well. It is actually kind of a chick flick as I remember and more cute than anything else. Clever for its time given the PC had not been out for long. Prophetic from an identity theft standpoint.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dreams_%28film%29
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #8

The laptop will be fine as long as you let it acclimate to conditions before you boot it up. Old old ones and old ol old old vcrs used to have a dew light to indicate when there was too much moisture in the device.
Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Kelly "Cupcake Queen"

Yes, it could cause damage if you were to continue to stay outside. Now you have to go out and get a fancy iPad to avoid those problems
kolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #10

iPad is not a lot less susceptible.

Evstarr is offline   Reply With Quote