Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #1

Share |

swimming in the sump pit

I have a sump pit, but tee'd into it is a pipe that takes care of the drainage by gravity. It daylights into the ditch in front of my neighbours house (mine is nice and dry..thanks builder). The ditch has a steady stream of water, a few inches deep, even in winter, except for maybe the dryest of summer months.

The pit in the house fills to its level and the pipes are always full. In the summer I trip the float to drain the pit, so there is no stagnant water in there, which I did just now.

Look who was in there. I tried to scoop him up but he jumped into the pit and is now hiding under the pump.

Like I've got nothing better to do then rescue a stranded frog all day, but I feel sorry for him.

This is where it drains>>Also I love my dog as much as anyone can but do I need 120lbs of fur following my every move??
Attached Thumbnails
swimming in the sump pit-img00195-20120528-1044.jpg   swimming in the sump pit-img00203-20120528-1114.jpg  

Last edited by creeper; 05-28-2012 at 10:32 AM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 AM   #2

swimming in the sump pit

Leave the frog in there. He will eat the bugs living around that area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

swimming in the sump pit

Joe: The problem for him is that I drained the pit way below his entry pipe. There is nothing for him to eat in there and no more water in the pipe. He's a goner without my intervention
Old 05-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #4

swimming in the sump pit

Cute froggie... and doggie!

I'm not trying to scare you, but my first thought was, "if a cute frog can get in, could a big scary snake get in too? Or more than one snake? A rat?".

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

swimming in the sump pit

NOT TRYING TO SCARE ME...too late. I'm not too worried about a snake, the pipe is about 100 ft long and he won't be happy to come in the water pit, roam around the basement and have 75 baby snakes in there will he.. WILL HE, I mean SHE??

A rat on the other hand. Excellent point Barb. Time for a trip to Rona to get a end cap
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #6

swimming in the sump pit

My dog is the greatest ever. He is so loyal and clever. A tad too protective though. He is so devoted to me that I can't make a move without him. That trait saved his life this past fall. He got a condition called bloat (stomach torsion) one night. His behaviour was so off that night. He couldn't settle. Tried to get up on the couch, tried to hide under the piano bench and so on. I knew something was up and when I touched him his gut was rock hard. It had flipped inside himself.
This condition is agony for an animal (cattle and horses are prone as are deep chested dogs) and needs immediate surgery. Even then the odds are slim for survival. Of course it was late night so off to the all night emergency vet, 30 minutes away.

He lived to the tune of big bucks that I will not admit to on this forum.
He's a change man these days, he's tired, he's a senior anyway, but he would still die for me in an instant.
I love my Kodiak
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #7

swimming in the sump pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
NOT TRYING TO SCARE ME...too late. I'm not too worried about a snake, the pipe is about 100 ft long and he won't be happy to come in the water pit, roam around the basement and have 75 baby snakes in there will he.. WILL HE, I mean SHE??

A rat on the other hand. Excellent point Barb. Time for a trip to Rona to get a end cap
Are you glad I didn't mention the baby alligator someone might have brought back from Florida? lol. j/k. I don't think it's legal to buy baby gators in Florida anymore.

A few years ago, maybe 5 or 6 years, there was a story on the news about a guy who got pulled over by a cop, about a mile from where I live. He was on a road that is right next to the biggest river around here.

When the cop told him to step out of the car, he opened the door and a small alligator climbed out and ran across the road toward the river. They never found the alligator, but I doubt it could have survived the cold winters here anyway.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #8

swimming in the sump pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
My dog is the greatest ever. He is so loyal and clever. A tad too protective though. He is so devoted to me that I can't make a move without him. That trait saved his life this past fall. He got a condition called bloat (stomach torsion) one night. His behaviour was so off that night. He couldn't settle. Tried to get up on the couch, tried to hide under the piano bench and so on. I knew something was up and when I touched him his gut was rock hard. It had flipped inside himself.
This condition is agony for an animal (cattle and horses are prone as are deep chested dogs) and needs immediate surgery. Even then the odds are slim for survival. Of course it was late night so off to the all night emergency vet, 30 minutes away.

He lived to the tune of big bucks that I will not admit to on this forum.
He's a change man these days, he's tired, he's a senior anyway, but he would still die for me in an instant.
I love my Kodiak
I'm glad he's alright! Poor little guy. How cool that you noticed he was having trouble!

Did the vet say what causes that condition?

The Following User Says Thank You to gma2rjc For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 03:51 PM   #9

swimming in the sump pit

Probaby the soul of some evil and dead politician has been transferred to that frog. If you have a septic tank put him into it!
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoyizit For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-28-2012), gma2rjc (05-29-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

swimming in the sump pit

Sorry to hear about your dog. At least you had a competent emergency vet clinic near you. I have had a few vet crises through the years myself but fell they were all worth the money. Our little bug eyed mutt of a dog need specialized care from a doggy opthalmologist. Spikezilla, swallowed a long strand of fiberglass reinforced packing tape was one sick kitty for a few days and almost bought the farm. I found Dillon Gufus von Dufus abandoned under a park bench, in the rain, in Philadelphia, suffering the wounds of a nasty cat fight and had him sewn back together.

I know especially MALE cats do not do so well with dry food. Any food high in ash content is bad for them and often leads to urinary and intestinal infections. I bought Science Diet for awhile for the boys but shopped around and found the dirt cheap canned food at Pets Mart was actually as nutritionally sound for a fraction of the cost. Even the cost of Science Diet was cheaper than vet bills though.

You will be rewarded somehow for rescuing the frog too. I only went once but it was hilarious. The Calavaras County frog jumping contest in California is much more fun than NASCAR.

Last edited by user1007; 05-28-2012 at 05:51 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
creeper (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

swimming in the sump pit

Steve: Sorry to hear about kitty's problems. Those emergency clinics are extremely costly. The things we do for love huh?

Just came up from a frog check and I can't spot him anywhere. I have to get ready for work now, so if he's hiding he's spending the night. The pit has filled up again so maybe he was able to reach the drain pipe and swim out.

Bloat is caused by food and then excercise, supposedly. In this case though Kody had had neither. In retrospect, he was really thirsty that evening and I guess his belly just flipped over.

When we had the farm, the neighbours raised Angus cattle. One day they somehow got into the stored bags of feed and maybe 15 -20 of them ate themselves into the same condition. The vet had to come and put them all down.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #12

swimming in the sump pit

That's a pretty neat looking frog. That's nice of you to try and save the little creature. Most people don't really care about stuff like that. And your dog is pretty adorable if I say so myself. I've had my fair share of emergency vet visits as well. I feel your pain on the $$$$$$ spectrum!
tiger500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #13

swimming in the sump pit

Well thanks, but I'm sort of a bleeding heart. If I see a spider in the house he gets put in a container and set free outside
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
bballallan (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #14

swimming in the sump pit

So what ended up happening to the frog?
bballallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 PM   #15
Wire Chewer

swimming in the sump pit

Get it out of there or it might get chopped up by the pump's blades! Ouch!
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote