Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Blog Entries: 7
Share |
Angry

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


I have finally gotten off my butt and decided to register my cars in my new home state. I printed the forms off the crappy MVA website and hopped in my car to zip over and get my required state inspection and fork over some money for my title and registration.

This was a good plan until I found out that the required state inspection takes, in my small town,an appointment! Not only do they get to charge for 1.5 hours of shop time but I am sure they will find a host of "safety repairs" that they would like to fix for me.

GRRRR - I am sure that the flunkies at MIDAS will be sure to try to fail me on my after market shocks, suspension, brakes, exhaust, alignment, etc.

On the upside: my turbocharged gas hog doesn't have to pass emissions. And I don't have to take a knowledge test to get my DL.

Here's a list of some of the things that they check:
Steering
-Steering wheel, column, steering lash, steering linkage (tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, idler arm, rack & pinion, steering box, power steering including power steering belt condition)
Wheel Alignment
-Toe In/Out readings
Suspension
-Ball joints or king pins, struts, shock absorbers, wheel bearings, springs/shackles, torsion bars, stabilizer, control arms
Brakes
-Road test, hydraulic system, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, drums, rotors, linings, pads, brake booster system, parking brake, mechanical components
*Note: due to the road test requirement, an inspection may not be able to be performed during rain, snow or other inclement weather.
Wheels and Tires
Fuel System
-Tank, fuel cap, fuel lines, tubing and hoses, accelerator operation
Exhaust System
-Manifolds, piping, muffler
Front and Rear Bumpers
Fenders
Lights
-Turn signals including self-cancel, back up lights, hazard lights, brake warning light (on instrument panel), high beam indicator, stop (brake) lights, tail lights, parking lights, side marker lights, reflectors, tag lights, dash lights, clearance/ID lamps (where required), headlights, headlight aim, headlight adjusters, fog/auxiliary driving lights and aim
Electrical System
-Horn, switches and wiring, Neutral Safety/Clutch start switch, battery (proper installation and hold down)
Mirrors
-Interior and exterior mirrors (where required)
Glazing/Windows
-Driver's door window and window operation, windshield, other window damage or window tinting.
*Note: window tinting on certain windows on certain vehicles may have to be certified by the Maryland State Police at the Motor Vehicle Administration before it will pass the safety inspection.
Windshield Wipers
-Arms/blades, park position, controls
Hood/Catches
Doors/Handles/Latches
Floor/Trunk Pans
Speedometer/Odometer
-Operation and legibility
Driver's Seat
-Mounting and operation
Safety/Seat Belts
-Front - 1964 and newer, Rear - 1969 and newer
Engine/Transmission Mounts
Gear Shift Indicator
Universal and CV Joints
Emissions
-Catalytic converter, fuel filler, PCV, air injection, EGR, evaporative emissions

__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Netcong NJ
Posts: 1,097
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Wanna try NJ? All of your list plus NO RUST allowed, Plus they plug into the cars computer and if there is a fault code YOU FAIL. I have a 2001 Taurus, it had a tiny hole about 1/4" in taillight lens only thru outside, FAILED. There is a repair kit NOT ALLOWED, there is special tape,same color as lense NOT ALLOWED. Have to buy complete new tail light lens for only 125 dollars

skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #3
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Blog Entries: 7
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


FYI: Failed - light bulbs out over license plate, one fog light out (like, so?!), and a crack on the serpentine belt, also I have to take it to the DMV to get the tint transmission checked. All and all, not a bad result, but tell that to my husband.
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
Eibwen
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 849
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


No rust??!!

I didnt go to a lotta college, but what does that have to do with the safe operation of a vehicle?

Va can fail a vehicle for anything the inspector feels may be a safety issue but rust is really pushing it.

And a crack in the serpentine belt?

I would have to move....
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
ICF Construction
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 314
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


I attempted to register a Canadian vehicle in California 3 years ago...hahahaha

It was a diesel, so smog was not an issue. It was everything else, including the glass markings showing a different approval number then the US has, cross reference showed it was acceptable, then all the decals and what have you were Canadian not U.S. more cross referencing. Instrument panel was metric but easily convertable to standard, acceptable.

2 hours of research later I was given the green light to go to the counter for the paperwork. 1/2 hour there and get told to fill out more paper work and send to Sacramento expect 8-12 weeks to process as they have to verify with Ontario Canada that I do own the vehicle. Oh and cost for registration and use tax $ 1350.00.

So, what do I do? I don't send anything in, drive the vehicle for 3 years with expired plates (from out of country). Everyone keeps telling me, you're going to get a ticket, you're gonna get pulled over. HA, 3 years and 4 traffic stops later I got one ticket...rolling stop. For all the speeding tickets I should have recieved no one wanted the hassle of writing a ticket to an out of country vehicle...too hard to enforce. If I had of had my Ontario drivers license out before the cop got to the side of the truck for the rolling stop I probably would have walked scott free from that one...but he saw my California one and asked for it instead...with a smile and laugh on his face.

Finally found a dealership willing to take the vehicle in on trade (no one wanted the hassle or expense of taking it in), got a new truck with California plates. Dealership called 4 days after I traded and asked if I knew the registration process. I told them from the get go it was a hassle. They took the truck to British Columbia and dealt it up there.

So, after all that I did save the $ 1350.00 registration and 1st year licensing fees plus an additional $ 750.00 per year for years 2 and 3 on registration fees. Ontario plates saved me almost $ 3000.00.

My friend moved back to California from Arizona and six days after being back here he was pulled over for not having his plates changed yet...3 weeks later he got stopped again and issues a citation...his poor luck...or my good fortune I haven't figured it out yet.
__________________
Chris
Chris Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,832
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
I have finally gotten off my butt and decided to register my cars in my new home state. I printed the forms off the crappy MVA website and hopped in my car to zip over and get my required state inspection and fork over some money for my title and registration.

This was a good plan until I found out that the required state inspection takes, in my small town,an appointment! Not only do they get to charge for 1.5 hours of shop time but I am sure they will find a host of "safety repairs" that they would like to fix for me.

GRRRR - I am sure that the flunkies at MIDAS will be sure to try to fail me on my after market shocks, suspension, brakes, exhaust, alignment, etc.

On the upside: my turbocharged gas hog doesn't have to pass emissions. And I don't have to take a knowledge test to get my DL.

Here's a list of some of the things that they check:
Steering
-Steering wheel, column, steering lash, steering linkage (tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, idler arm, rack & pinion, steering box, power steering including power steering belt condition)
Wheel Alignment
-Toe In/Out readings
Suspension
-Ball joints or king pins, struts, shock absorbers, wheel bearings, springs/shackles, torsion bars, stabilizer, control arms
Brakes
-Road test, hydraulic system, master cylinder, wheel cylinders, drums, rotors, linings, pads, brake booster system, parking brake, mechanical components
*Note: due to the road test requirement, an inspection may not be able to be performed during rain, snow or other inclement weather.
Wheels and Tires
Fuel System
-Tank, fuel cap, fuel lines, tubing and hoses, accelerator operation
Exhaust System
-Manifolds, piping, muffler
Front and Rear Bumpers
Fenders
Lights
-Turn signals including self-cancel, back up lights, hazard lights, brake warning light (on instrument panel), high beam indicator, stop (brake) lights, tail lights, parking lights, side marker lights, reflectors, tag lights, dash lights, clearance/ID lamps (where required), headlights, headlight aim, headlight adjusters, fog/auxiliary driving lights and aim
Electrical System
-Horn, switches and wiring, Neutral Safety/Clutch start switch, battery (proper installation and hold down)
Mirrors
-Interior and exterior mirrors (where required)
Glazing/Windows
-Driver's door window and window operation, windshield, other window damage or window tinting.
*Note: window tinting on certain windows on certain vehicles may have to be certified by the Maryland State Police at the Motor Vehicle Administration before it will pass the safety inspection.
Windshield Wipers
-Arms/blades, park position, controls
Hood/Catches
Doors/Handles/Latches
Floor/Trunk Pans
Speedometer/Odometer
-Operation and legibility
Driver's Seat
-Mounting and operation
Safety/Seat Belts
-Front - 1964 and newer, Rear - 1969 and newer
Engine/Transmission Mounts
Gear Shift Indicator
Universal and CV Joints
Emissions
-Catalytic converter, fuel filler, PCV, air injection, EGR, evaporative emissions
And in Pennsylvania, they also check the horn!!!
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
No rust??!!

I didnt go to a lotta college, but what does that have to do with the safe operation of a vehicle?

Va can fail a vehicle for anything the inspector feels may be a safety issue but rust is really pushing it.

And a crack in the serpentine belt?

I would have to move....

My best guess for the rust situation.......I guess they're talking about rust being so bad that the structural integrity of the car, ie. suspension points on the frame, etc. are in jeopardy. You usually only see these issues on very old or neglected cars so who knows but it could happen. I have seen cars rusted so bad that the spring perches are gone and others where trailing arms have come off.

AS for the serpentine belt issue. I suppose if it's cracked, then it's old and may need to be replaced. I suppose the worse case scenario for their reasoning.....say an old lady is driving a car down the road and as she's about to make a turn, the belt breaks and she doesn't have the strength to steer and complete the turn. That could cause her to have an accident.

Just a guess
Chris' Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Learning by Doing
 
Leah Frances's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Easton, Maryland
Posts: 3,156
Blog Entries: 7
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


I pulled the cover off the serpentine belts yesterday. Belt looks fine upon visual inspection - at least in the old days they would have cut it a little.
__________________
If I could only remember to THINK about what I was doing before I did it.
Leah Frances is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Member
 
concretemasonry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Posts: 3,707
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Leah -

Ever had a serpentine break unsxpectedly? You are dead in the water.

They are not always available (unless you have a very common one), so some people save the old just in case. I did not have one when mine broke on Highway 13(?) on the eastern shore of VA where things can be few and far between, especially on a week-end. I wish I had an inspection earlier.

In some European countries, you do not get the car back and/or get it licensed until the government licensed inspection station that you went to approves it. If they say the tires are not safe you have to get new tires (can be bought anywhere, but must be approved by the same inspection station). - the same applies to excess rust or rust holes and any other safety or pollution items. That is why their cars last so long and the speed limits are so high.

Sammy -

Ever lost a windshield because someone wanted the tag that was attached to inside of the windshield? - A neighbor in VA had this happen.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
When is fishing season?
 
CowboyAndy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 613
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Wow, I thought NY was bad. Guess not.

If you saw my pickup truk that I pretty much use to go to the dump once a month and tow my boat about 4 miles to the lake you would think that it would NEVER pass...

It did so with flying colors! It is SOOOOOO rusted, has c-clamps holding the transmission crossmember in place, a bad ground to the wiper motor so sometimes they stop working whenever they want...

I am glad I live here!
__________________
I DON'T OWN MY HOUSE...
MY HOUSE OWNS ME!
CowboyAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Central Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,832
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


you drive that on a public highway? with other vehicles?
We're glad you live there too!!!!
Maintenance 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:46 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 9
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyAndy View Post
Wow, I thought NY was bad. Guess not.

If you saw my pickup truk that I pretty much use to go to the dump once a month and tow my boat about 4 miles to the lake you would think that it would NEVER pass...

It did so with flying colors! It is SOOOOOO rusted, has c-clamps holding the transmission crossmember in place, a bad ground to the wiper motor so sometimes they stop working whenever they want...

I am glad I live here!

You must be out of the NYC metropolitan area. Upstate perhaps? Well, come to think of it, even then, that should not have passed with so many possible structural problems. I guess the shop never looked underneath the truck.

I used to inspect cars in Long Island and if I saw a crossmember held on with c clams, I would have had no choice but to fail it. Actually, I would have probably told you it wont pass and never started the inspection.
Chris' Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 19
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


Hmmmm
Let's see. In Ohio, I just recently got my plates renewed and they asked me (didn't even ask for proof-just my word was good enough) if I had insurance.
That was it. Paid my license fees and was on my way.
Sometimes I think about that maybe I should move, but then I read posts like yours and think....NAAAAHHHHH

They do have emissions testing in some of the big urban counties, but I don't live there so I don't even have to do that.
trptman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
DIY Hack
 
Mr Chips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,302
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


when i lived in NJ i once failed inspection because the glass in passenger side view mirror was broken. Understandable except for the fact that in NJ you are NOT required to even have a passenger side view mirror. they said that because it was original equipment, it had to be operational

i also had a pin hole in my headlight, that allowed moisture to build up inside. i passed everytime with this, because i made a point to only get my car inspected on rainy days, which made the moisture much less obvious!!
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 PM   #15
banging thumbs
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 33
Default

State Vehicle Inspection - ARGGH


When living in Canada, we always had safety inspection on the vehicles. Now we live in California where smog is the only concern. I would like to see some safety inspection implemented, only due to the number of junkers I see on the freeway everyday, overloaded with wood, car parts, yard work equipment, etc. It doesn't take a mechanic to tell that some of these should not be on the road.

bakerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
preparing for inspection brackh Electrical 18 03-18-2008 08:45 PM
Failed framing inspection Hope I can sleep tonight!! NJlumberjack Building & Construction 14 01-16-2008 07:50 PM
How is electrical inspector doing the inspection... KUIPORNG Electrical 2 08-15-2006 08:46 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.