Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Southern Cal Class B Contractor - Poor job & Unprofessional--Grounds for termination?

I got diagnosed with carpel tunnel so decided to hire a general contractor to remodel outside my house in Escondido, CA.

I'm upset and want to terminate the contract for the following reasons;

STUCCO/PAINT/5 WINDOWS REPLACEMENT
1. Did not scrape or sand eves (facia) as promised, but just power wash and put bondo over old loose paint.
2. Did not remove ALL the old boards on front wall, and the ones left, did not scrape off old loose paint. Covered up with black paper and stucco over it.
3. New stucco on front of house is full of deep cracks due to rushed work. Maybe should have put a thin layer first, then let dry, and finally apply the thick coat. Rushed the work and now there are deep cracks all through the stucco area. Planning to put texture stucco to cover it all.
4. Cleaning is not thorough. Old bricks, 20 ft of boards, and lunch refuse left around the house.
5. Filled trash can with grass and construction debris, thus leaving us without a trash can to use. If they wanted to dump grass, should use the green trash can on the lawn provided.
6. Workers did not have window measurements. Emailed Supervisor measurements and told him where to cut. Workers cut master bath window down too far and also cut into interior wall, causing more damages.
7. Poor communication and follow through with agreement. Most workers don't speak English and Shawn (only English speaker) agrees but promises are not kept.
8. Workmanship is VERY poor. New window frames not squared & uneven. Uneven new stucco walls. Poor attention to details.
9. Urinate on the fence multiple times, urinate in the working area, and urinate on their own stucco work. Warned twice but continued to happen.

Is this grounds for a contract termination. There is an arbitration clause in the contract and I just want them to stop and get off my property. So far only $500 deposit has been given out of the $12K amount.

If you have had similar experience, please advise asap or send me a private message.

Thanks.

Last edited by mrvath; 07-27-2011 at 12:11 PM.
mrvath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Southern Cal Class B Contractor - Poor job & Unprofessional--Grounds for termination?

hope you have a written specific contract

Old 07-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,120

This is a DIY site, not a legal advice site. No lawyer I have ever met gives free advice, and if they did, I would find another lawyer.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
This is a DIY site, not a legal advice site. No lawyer I have ever met gives free advice, and if they did, I would find another lawyer.
The best advice a lawyer (like me) can give on the internet is:

Contact a lawyer in your area who specializes in construction contract disputes. CA bar association can help you find one.

That will be $200 please

Good luck.
AndyGump (07-27-2011), kwikfishron (07-27-2011)