Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Share |
Talking

Something fishy about this Craigslist ad....

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/bar/2257520896.html

Do note that he is looking to BARTER these 62 pieces of highway barrier. One of his trade suggestions: 'guns'.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 PM   #2
DIY staff

That's what keeps our highway workers on overtime--

Old 03-10-2011, 10:47 PM   #3
nap
You talking to me?

I believe I would be tempted to call the police local to the guy and at least alert them to the situation. While it could have been legally acquired as old rail was replaced through some state surplus auction, you never know. I have heard of a few places that had trouble with people stealing guard rail from where it was installed.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:01 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Nap - I made an half-hearted attempt, but ran out of steam. The post is for 'delmarva', a peninsula made up of DELaware, MARyland, and VirginiA.
And I didn't have it in me tonight to try and contact 3 differed state police barracks and dozens of local sheriff and police department .
Old 03-10-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Nap - I made an half-hearted attempt, but ran out of steam. The post is for 'delmarva', a peninsula made up of DELaware, MARyland, and VirginiA.
And I didn't have it in me tonight to try and contact 3 differed state police barracks and dozens of local sheriff and police department .
and your an officer of the court? Leah!!!.

Just kidding.

How's the Subie coming along? Any idea what the husband actually damaged in the engine?
Old 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
Remodeler

Pretty common thing to see sold here, a lot of livestock yards use it for fencing. Most has been removed during highway projects and sold as surplus but some of the larger outfits buy new. It takes a fence made of 2 or 3 rails of that stuff to survive constant cattle traffic through the pens or to stand up to some of those excited bulls. Surely is some type of a private contractor with that much, too much work for too little profit for thieves. They are too busy stripping out copper wire.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
How's the Subie coming along? Any idea what the husband actually damaged in the engine?
Thanks for asking. It's still sitting on the lift in my garage right now. A little background - it's a 2002 Forester XT with all the STI bolt-ons bolted on. It has 120K miles on it and has been intermittently driven VERY HARD (as in whenever my Husband is behind the wheel). It WAS the perfect car (except I couldn't put a sheet of drywall in it) I could haul all my crap in it and cruise at 100 mph without the cops blinking an eye... Who pulls over a 35 year old lady driving a silver station wagon???

Most likely sequence of events (as I understand it): oil low, Dear Husband does a speed-racer downshift from 3rd-2nd and let it really scream, cam and bearings got starved for oil and cam spun the cam-bearings, this wore down the bearings allow the cam to wobble, which may have caused connecting rod collapse or stretch and enough piston slap to make it sound like a diesel, and then he continued to drive it home . Dropped the remaining oil and it looks like STUDIO 54 vomited in the oil pan.

So we are looking at possible: cam damage, cam journal damage, head damage, connecting rod damage, piston/ring damage, valve damage, block damage AAAAAAANNNNDD turbo or turbo fin damage.

We are headed to Puerto Rico in one week (YAY) and we'll have the car towed up to our shop in Western Maryland to get worked on while we're on vacation. The shop is expecting that we will need a re-build rather than a full replacement but we're still talking about something in the neighborhood of $5K. My one victory was convincing my husband that this was NOT the time to really try and get it to put down 400+ horsepower.

I've demanded the pistons to keep as a reminder or not being a dumb-ass - and as bookends or doorstops.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Well, at least you can say he is thorough. No little "I might have hurt something" or "it's only..."

He simply trashed just about everything he could in as little time as possible. That is what I would call; efficient. That's a good thing, right?

Sometimes you have to look at these things as opportunities rather than problems. You sound like maybe a Porsche Cayenne type of person.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...cayenne-turbo/

500 HP, all wheel drive, 22 mpg highway.

I mean, just look at that fuel mileage. If nothing else, that should sell you on the thing.

and I bet they have more room in them than your Subie. You might be able to fit a sheet of rock in the Porsche.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Sometimes you have to look at these things as opportunities rather than problems. You sound like maybe a Porsche Cayenne type of person.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...cayenne-turbo/

500 HP, all wheel drive, 22 mpg highway.

I mean, just look at that fuel mileage. If nothing else, that should sell you on the thing.
Hey - I get at least 25 out of the Forester Turbo

The Cayenne Turbo S is an ass-hauler alright (520bhp)! A 2006 (first year for the Turbo) could probably be found for between 40-45K. But I'm not really an SUV girl. If I'm going German, I'm saving my pennies for a Mercedes AMG Wagon: http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...wagon-car_news

Sure it gets half the gas mileage.... Sure it makes the same HP as the Porsche... Sure if it even gets offered in the USA it will cost just under $100K.

But it weighs 700 less pounds! Making the estimated 0-60 in the 4 second range!! Nothing cooler than a totally BADASSSSSS station wagon.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #10
Pretending to be Retired

In the "old days" when we used to build bridges, aluminum hand rail was nearly always installed on top of the concrete barrier walls. Then the price of aluminum went up and some of our more outstanding citizens started to steal the aluminum rail right off the bridges while traffic was driving along creating a hazard to the motoring public as well as grand theft. In the grassy median of our interstate highways, the heavy duty welded steel inlet grates we placed on the storm water drop boxes located in the medians were a popular target also. We figured people were using them for BBQ grills. We started to chain the grates to the boxes just to keep them from being stolen! The more enterprising thief's would bring bolt cutters along to cut the chains, so we had to modify the grates with closer inlet bars so it would be harder to get the bolt cutters near the chain. The smaller highway signs, like the stop sign, used to be aluminum but due to theft, we switched them to galvanized steel and fiberglass. And it goes on and on.

Yea, this theft is your tax dollars at work. (pictures are 1. aluminum handrail, 2. stolen grates in a car trunk, 3. back of sign)
Attached Images

BigD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Learning by Doing

@BigD9 - people suck. I know a guy who had his entire electrical rough-in stripped out by some criminals. His insurance covered the cost of the loss, but he still had to do it ALL over again.

Glad to see places are modifying their materials. Around these parts crack-addicts have been stealing bronze grave markers and historical plaques.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:36 AM   #12

Some people must be despirate---There has been an ongoing ad in CL for a person trying to sell a 2 TON Rock in their front yard, nice pretty "egg shaped" landscape ornimant. They are asking $200.00
My wife stated that someone might move it if they were paid $200.00
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
Learning by Doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Some people must be despirate---There has been an ongoing ad in CL for a person trying to sell a 2 TON Rock in their front yard, nice pretty "egg shaped" landscape ornimant. They are asking $200.00
My wife stated that someone might move it if they were paid $200.00
I like the ones that advertise free firewood. If you come and cut down the tree, cut it into fireplace lengths and haul it away.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #14

Quote:
I like the ones that advertise free firewood. If you come and cut down the tree, cut it into fireplace lengths and haul it away.
Hummm---Wonder if you have to pile the brush or do you have to take that too
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
I had a tornado run through my yard a few years ago. It took down 3 or 4 oak trees each about 1 1/2 to 2 feed diameter 50'+ tall. I know some guys that burn wood so I asked a few if they wanted it. Yes, they would have to cut it and split it but it was good wood. A couple said yes and they would be around to get it.

Nobody showed.

I got out the chainsaw and started cutting it up. Most/all of it down to 3-4 foot chunks. Asked them again; do you want it? All said; yes, I'll be by.

Nobody showed.

I cut it into 18-24" chunks. Same queries. Same answers.

Nobody showed.

I started splitting it (by hand) (I was bored). I was talking to a few guys and they heard that. Then there were several that would surely be by now.

I responded: I asked if you wanted it when it was just fallen. You said sure yet never showed. I asked if you wanted it after I cut it up a bit. You said sure yet never showed. I had it in chunks that just needed to be split. I asked if you wanted it. You said sure yet never showed.

I have now split it and now you are clambering for it.

I told them all; I will let the wood sit in the field and rot before I give it to any of you, and it has.

The Following User Says Thank You to nap For This Useful Post:
Willie T (03-17-2011)