Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,468

Smoky Bear is Going to be Lonely in Minnesota

Minnesota has closed all of their state parks on the eve of Fourth of July weekend.

ARE YA KIDDING ME?
All because the politicians aren't doing their jobs.
This is outrageous. The taxpayers provided the funds to acquire the parks. Taxpayers money is used to maintain the parks. People that work for the parks depend on their jobs for their livelihoods. Travellers with minimal funds depend on having the parks on holidays to get away to. Supporting vendors are depending on this weekend to maintain their annual sales and incomes. Now sales taxes will suffer around the state.
So they close the parks???

I wonder if the state politicians are working this weekend or giving up their second homes in St. Paul, or cancelling their limousine transportation and fancy hotel dinners.

http://www.keloland.com/News/NewsDet....cfm?Id=117530

Last edited by Bud Cline; 07-01-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

You were expecting logic and common sense from politicians?

The park all charge for the camp sites---that should cover any expenses on a holiday week end.

I ran into that same BS at Yosemite park a few years ago----austerity closed the camp grounds--

Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
Tileguy

How does this make anything better? Are they nuts?
I can answer that question.

Back a couple of months ago when the U.S. was facing a government shutdown like it is again now the first thing that those dogs did was hold up and freeze payday for all the military personnel. They came within hours of military families not getting the paychecks due them in the next day or so.
BASHTARDS one and all.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,084

Michigan did that a couple of years ago, and I know of at least a few less-than-happy campers who made some last minute changes, and took their money for non-resident fishing licenses, food, gas, and whatever else they would have purchased elsewhere. Everything opened back up within a week if memory serves me correctly, but after spending millions of dollars on advertising, the state chased away the revenue.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,244

What an absolute load of drivel. And for your July 4th weekend????? Just exactly what kind of point is someone trying to make here.

I say put all those responsible under house arrest for 10 times as long as they cause disruptions for others.

It sounds something like the teachers up this way...once again threatening to go on strike but not until the day the kids go back to school. I guess $80,000 a year isn't enough for working 9 1/2 months.
cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,202

State and federal governments couldn't care less about American citizens if they tried.

The people of your state need to find a few illegals to pitch-a-fit about the state parks being closed.

You can bet the state would open the parks immediately.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 07-01-2011 at 08:27 PM.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 254

I find it disgusting. Duluth, MN is right across the bay from me. The local papers have been reporting on it. Apparently the members of state congress will be able to continue to collect their pay throughout the shutdown. Nice huh? And I thought my state was messed up...
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

Also - can't buy fishing licenses, boat launch tags, camping permits, anything and everything related to the DNR. Whining about a deficit... and their big chance to make some of it up is shot to hell. Awesome planning.
Marqed97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

Unfortunately, the people are pawns in the chess game. By shutting down everything, both parties hope the anger will be directed at the other.
Marty1Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
Tileguy

I don't get it!

When you consider all of the lost revenue now in taxes for holiday gasoline and potato chips and extra groceries and permit fees and camping fees and fishing permits and assuming all of the areas were already mowed for the week end and now moving in concrete barriers and later returning those barriers how can they justify shutting down every facility in the state on the biggest national weekend of the year? The trickle-down that won't happen now has to cost the state millions of dollars to say nothing of the surplus items that were stocked by grocery stores and convenience stores and etc. that won't be purchased now.

What the hell is going on in government?
Old 07-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,126

The governor (first Democrat in 21 years) shut it down because the representative offered different bugets. The Republicans (majority in both houses) off one 6% over the previous budget. The Democrats had one $2,000,000,000 higher. The governor is stubborn and there was not enough support the inevitable veto. I think there is a little party line politics and individual ego-building involved. The governor was a U.S. Senator a few years ago, but resigned because he did not think the Washington office building was secure enough, but no one agreed with him. He was subsequently rated as the worst U.S. senator in that year. His family trust fund is held in South Dakota (no probelem with distributions) and he was previously married to a Rockefeller.

All of the highway rest areas are protected/closed by orange cones at the entrances and the people with guaranteed advance reservations at state campgrounds for the long week-end are finding the gates locked after driving a few hundred miles to get there. On the good side, all the gas stations and convenience stores (with bathrooms) are doing great business if they are near a exit. The horse tracks are closed because they are required to have state observation of betting and races. You cannot buy a lottery ticket. All state and county construction projects were halted on Thursday as the contractors cleaned up and prepared for possible long term for safety and possible weather problems because there was not a state or county inspector on a job with even partial state funding/participation.

I hope someone keeps the many other example for a future video presentation.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 07-01-2011 at 10:25 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,202

It used to be 'of the people, by the people, for the people'.

More and more, it's become 'of the government, by the government, for the government'.
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marqed97 View Post
I find it disgusting. Duluth, MN is right across the bay from me. The local papers have been reporting on it. Apparently the members of state congress will be able to continue to collect their pay throughout the shutdown. Nice huh? And I thought my state was messed up...
Yer state is messed up. Ya wear cheese on your head!!

Bill7 is offline   Reply With Quote