Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #1

Share |

Should I

Broke my leg 4 weeks ago. In 3 places. After 3 weeks on Lortabs I gave them up 4 days ago. Last 2 nights, almost no sleep. Not hurting that bad, just cant find a way to relax with a brace on, the full length of my leg. Should I drink a couple beers ? Hit the Lortabs ?

JackDidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Should I

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
Broke my leg 4 weeks ago. In 3 places. After 3 weeks on Lortabs I gave them up 4 days ago. Last 2 nights, almost no sleep. Not hurting that bad, just cant find a way to relax with a brace on, the full length of my leg. Should I drink a couple beers ? Hit the Lortabs ?
3 places..yikes thats gotta hurt. No more Lortabs. How much longer do you need the brace?

No alcohol either. The last thing you need is to get sloppy with your balance.

Since you are coping ok with the pain how about a couple of extra strength ibrpropen to take the edge off so you can rest.

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #3

Should I

8 more weeks before I get rid of the brace and put weight on it. Been taking Aleve. It just wont help me sleep. Need to have my act together when I start therapy Friday. That means I need to sleep at some point. Pic of Frankenleg, below.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 PM   #4

Should I

Personally I don't get as much relieve from aleve as I do advil. Maybe give them a try before you go back to the Lortabs. You are off the narcotics..probably a good idea to stay off

What the heck happened
Old 10-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Should I

I may have some Advil in the cabinet. Will give it a try. I did a thread about hail damage on my house a few weeks ago. Well I was getting ready to start repairs. Fell off a ladder and landed on the edge of a concrete porch, leg first, I guess. Happened real fast so Details are sketchy. Now Im thinking my DIY hobby has come to an end.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:37 PM   #6

Should I

I remember that thread. As serious as breaking a bone in three spots is..especially the femur...when you think about it, it could have been a lot worse. A broken back or skull
Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Should I

Yes, no other bumps, bruises or injuries. Must have landed, full weight on that leg. It could have been much worse. I keep telling myself, this is just a temporary inconvenience. A year from now I'll laugh about it. Currently, not much to laugh about.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #8

Should I

Sorry to hear about your leg JD. I broke the big toe on my left foot early this summer and that hurt, but I can't imagine it being the whole leg.

Find someone who studies natural remedies. They might have a suggestion for something that will help you sleep. Maybe some kind of herb or supplement. Are you taking extra calcium to help the bones heal faster?

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #9

Should I

I've had two reconstructive knee surgeries (same knee) and a shoulder surgery. I'm not big on pain meds (any meds for that matter) so I kicked them as soon as I could as well. I was in the same boat as you though and couldn't find a comfortable way to sleep. I'm also not a big back sleeper and that's pretty much the only way I could lay because I was also in a straight leg brace for weeks. My doctor prescribed me valium which I took on an as needed basis when I couldn't get to sleep. It knocked me out and I slept well. I also found it easier to sleep on the couch with my bad leg on the inside instead of in the bed. But they may just be me.
Lwood23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:47 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Should I

I don't sleep well at all and my doc prescribed this stuff. It gave me nightmares so now I just don't sleep but 3 or 4 hours a night.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...tonin-overview
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #11

Should I

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I don't sleep well at all and my doc prescribed this stuff. It gave me nightmares so now I just don't sleep but 3 or 4 hours a night.

http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders...tonin-overview
3 or 4 hours huh. Any teeth grinding? night sweats ? Could be deep seated unresolved childhood issues.

Send Cheques and I will be delighted to do my part in responding to a pysch. thread
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
Mod

Should I

Excedrin PM work great for me as a sleep aid. Any of the off brand of PM’s work fine too. Look for the quantity of diphenhydramine on the label.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #13

Should I

Well, I was out of Advil. Took 2 asprin and 2 benadryl. Slept pretty good for 6 hours. I can get by on that. I may try that again tonight.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Should I

OUCH!
I don't think this is the type of DIY advice this forum is for.
Why dontcha call your Doc?
If you don't want to bother him(her?) just ask their nurse what is safe and effective.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #15

Should I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
OUCH!
I don't think this is the type of DIY advice this forum is for.
Why dontcha call your Doc?
If you don't want to bother him(her?) just ask their nurse what is safe and effective.
This is probably a good idea. Im one of those guys that just doesnt do the Dr. thing. If I could drive, I should go in for a check up. My friends have been so great about doing things for me, I hate to ask for more. Truth is, Ive had insomnia all my life and just dealt with it. I am going to try a few more days on my own though. Thinking of trying the melatonin or Excederin pm next. Sure would be nice to get through the next few weeks and not be tired all the time.