Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Shopping new heat pump

Hello all,

We currently decided to replace a York unit that we inherited from the previous owner of our home. It is losing freon and the base is constantly frozen during winter months. Living in Montreal, Canada, we are eligible for a government grant provided the SEER value is at least 14.5. We have a bi-energy set up (heat pump with oil furnace) which means the oil system kicks in only when it is colder than -12C. For warmer temperatures, the oil furnance assists the process, but the heat pump does most of the work.

We got a few quotes from some local contracters and most are suggesting we get an Amana ASZ14 since it has the best warranty and value for the price (around $5500 CAN). So far, we are leaning toward this choice. However, I am having doubts due to the very high amount of negative reviews I am seeing for Amana products. Other suggestions we got we Goodman (which makes Amana) and Carrier which is about $1500 more for a similar model. We have not looked at any other models since we were convinced the Amana model would do the trick.

Our house is about 2000 sq ft and we were told a 2.5 or 3.0 ton unit is sufficient. We are also planning to stay in this house for a long time, so reliability is very important to us.

We would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks in advance to all.

macinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

Shopping new heat pump

Get prices on other brands. Shop and compare.

beenthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #3

Shopping new heat pump

Thanks, beenthere.

Any suggestions for other brands?
Old 11-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
An old Tradesmen

Shopping new heat pump

York, Lennox, Trane.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #5

Shopping new heat pump

If anyone else has any suggestions or recommendations, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 AM   #6

Shopping new heat pump

Just replaced a 16 year old York that was leaking freon with a Trane XR15, 2.5 ton heat pump and air handler, variable speed unit. With the Trane rebates in effect through the end of Dec. the unit cost about the same as a Carrier that did not have the variable speed (quotes from 3 sources so I know it wasn' just the dealer) and had lower effeciencies. So far, we've been very happy with the system - the house stays more evenly heated than with the York, and the variable speed eliminates the first blast of cold air. When our other unit, a 24 year old York Champion, goes, we'll definitely look at the XR15 first.
wombar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #7
An old Tradesmen

Shopping new heat pump

Should check out a York Affinity. Weather 2 stage or single stage.

Can't compare an old York to a new heat pump with a VS blower. Its not apples to apples.