Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Sewing Machine Help?

I've been looking for a sewing machine that can sew household items and leather or vinyl upholstery. I need something dependable and long-lasting. I know nothing about sewing or machines, but I've learned from research that all these newer plastic models are junk. I'm looking for something like a 201 or 66 model Singer or comparible, but for a price way lower than vintage. Some guy tried to scam me on Craigslist for a piece-o-junk Touch 'n Sew.

Can anyone help me out? Looking to spend under $100.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 36

Sewing Machine Help?

An old Singer 'Black Head' will do what you need. Ask around at work or church---there are millions of the tough old machines tucked away.

I've got one--I see them on the curb---junk shops and thrift stores---$10 to $20 aught to do it.

Make sure the bobbin holder is with the machine---often they are missing--new ones used to cost about $15--

-------My mother made sure all of us could sew and cook well enough to survive-------Mike-----

oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
DIYtestdummy (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #3

Sewing Machine Help?

I have been researching this for the past few weeks now, as I want to make new covers for my boat. (new Bimini top will cost me about $500 to have done, less than $200 if done myself). I have read that the older machines (pre 70's) will handle the heavier materials and thread. I tried my wife's older machine, but it is having bobbin issues, and needs to be serviced. I might be getting her grandmother's old machine to try. On a side note, I had some nylon web straps to sew, and my wife was able to do it on a newer Brother machine, but not with a heavier nylon thread.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ_in_IL For This Useful Post:
DIYtestdummy (06-26-2010)
Old 06-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
Fixer-'til-broker

Sewing Machine Help?

Hmm, yeah. How about stronger thread, just not so heavy? The models I listed are "Black Head" models. I've also seen them in green, red, purple, and gold, but for a higher price. I'd like a modern model with more features, but I need a wider platform to feed bigger sections thru. I can tangle a good sewing machine faster than a champion fishing pole!