I can't believe how much, yet, how little I am getting accomplished on my "vacation" week.
First, it's only a sort of a vacation--our company is shut down, but our customers are not. All the other employees have the good sense to make travel plans and so are unavailable. I being single, and some what house poor, had no plans so I became the "will you keep up on email and voice-mails this week?" guy... "Just figure out how much time you spent and we'll 'work it out later', ok?" (which translates as: on the books you were on vacation, so your accrued time off is gone... if you're lucky I'll remember this conversation)
I made up a big list of all the important things I should do the house, they're all basically cleaning, painting and trim projects--the 20% effort needed to make a room look 100% done, vs. the 20% done it had appeared to be done even though it was really 80% done... wait, does that make sense? Probably
My list was about two dozen items... I've managed to accomplish a grand total of 2-3 of them, depending on how you look it...
Each item has spurred half a dozen other items that I either neglected to list, or decided needed to be done before hand...
One item not complete yet is to secure the baseboard trim in the bedroom I just re-did---which lead to:
- Spend a day cleaning and organizing the basement to find all the tools and supplies used on previous jobs where I didn't clean up properly
- Install two new overhead lights in the basement near the shelves because "I didn't clean up because I couldn't see!" (yea right )
- Run five cat5e cables and 2 coax cables to three different locations between the two bedrooms (gotta do the wiring before putting on the baseboard because I'll need to pull it to run the wire later!)
- Install a new 20A circuit in the panel with outlets under the windows of the two first floor bedrooms (to take the pressure of the existing two 15A circuits which feed the entire first floor except kitchen/bath, plus same as above, need the trim off to pull the wire from basement)
- Gee, while I'm in the panel I'd better add that new 15A circuit for the sump pump...
- Oh I forgot, I'll need new blinds for one bedroom because it still has those temporary paper shades (which comically cost as much as cheap vinyl blinds)
...another item on my list was "Wash exterior siding"... seems simple enough, but oh you know, you'd better install that spigot on the opposite side of the house--you'll never get enough pressure with this 125' monster of daisy chained hoses...... suddenly I'm drilling in concrete, mixing hydraulic cement, soldering plumbing... there's half a day gone.
...and of course each time I do some job related PC work, I end up at this site
I think I've spent more time on this site in the past 4-5 days than since I joined in 2010