A Sense Of Accomplishment - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

a sense of accomplishment

I can't believe how much, yet, how little I am getting accomplished on my "vacation" week.

First, it's only a sort of a vacation--our company is shut down, but our customers are not. All the other employees have the good sense to make travel plans and so are unavailable. I being single, and some what house poor, had no plans so I became the "will you keep up on email and voice-mails this week?" guy... "Just figure out how much time you spent and we'll 'work it out later', ok?" (which translates as: on the books you were on vacation, so your accrued time off is gone... if you're lucky I'll remember this conversation)

I made up a big list of all the important things I should do the house, they're all basically cleaning, painting and trim projects--the 20% effort needed to make a room look 100% done, vs. the 20% done it had appeared to be done even though it was really 80% done... wait, does that make sense? Probably

My list was about two dozen items... I've managed to accomplish a grand total of 2-3 of them, depending on how you look it...

Each item has spurred half a dozen other items that I either neglected to list, or decided needed to be done before hand...

One item not complete yet is to secure the baseboard trim in the bedroom I just re-did---which lead to:
  1. Spend a day cleaning and organizing the basement to find all the tools and supplies used on previous jobs where I didn't clean up properly
  2. Install two new overhead lights in the basement near the shelves because "I didn't clean up because I couldn't see!" (yea right )
  3. Run five cat5e cables and 2 coax cables to three different locations between the two bedrooms (gotta do the wiring before putting on the baseboard because I'll need to pull it to run the wire later!)
  4. Install a new 20A circuit in the panel with outlets under the windows of the two first floor bedrooms (to take the pressure of the existing two 15A circuits which feed the entire first floor except kitchen/bath, plus same as above, need the trim off to pull the wire from basement)
  5. Gee, while I'm in the panel I'd better add that new 15A circuit for the sump pump...
  6. Oh I forgot, I'll need new blinds for one bedroom because it still has those temporary paper shades (which comically cost as much as cheap vinyl blinds)

...another item on my list was "Wash exterior siding"... seems simple enough, but oh you know, you'd better install that spigot on the opposite side of the house--you'll never get enough pressure with this 125' monster of daisy chained hoses...... suddenly I'm drilling in concrete, mixing hydraulic cement, soldering plumbing... there's half a day gone.

...and of course each time I do some job related PC work, I end up at this site I think I've spent more time on this site in the past 4-5 days than since I joined in 2010

Advertisement

Last edited by bubbler; 07-05-2012 at 01:53 PM.
bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,472

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
I can't believe how much, yet, how little I am getting accomplished on my "vacation" week.
Giving giving your computer and the internet a vacation for a few days may help speed up production bit.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Its easy to wander over to this site when you're trying to conduct business on the computer. Which I did just now. Its the middle of the day for crying out loud..I'm pressing X now
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper View Post
Its easy to wander over to this site when you're trying to conduct business on the computer. Which I did just now. Its the middle of the day for crying out loud..I'm pressing X now
Yep

I did better with the second half of the day--I got the baseboard nailed up, the nicks and dents patched, all the old pulled down door trim got the nails pulled, sanded outside, de-glossed and then covered in Zissner 1-2-3... now I'm just praying it doesn't start raining before it's all dry enough to take inside... sort of a dumbass mistake on my part, I should have just painted in the basement, not like I care about drips on the floor down there...

Later tonight if I have the drive I'll put the finish coat of trim paint on them and hang them back up (I replaced three interior doors and jambs from this room that had been trashed by previous owners... I swear they must have literally kicked these doors open and closed every time... the jambs were all split at the strikes, and there are cracks and dents in the old doors where feet and shoulders would hit...

I've still got a few other doors to go, but the jambs are better on those so I may just replace the slab to say a few bucks and some time.