Selling My Truck (sniff Sniff) - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,220

Selling my truck (sniff sniff)

I didn't really want to sell it, I was more wanting to test the waters, but I posted it on craigslist and now people are actually calling...and now coming!

The nerve.

Ever parted with a vehicle you didn't really want to?

Advertisement

Doc Holliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,180

Nope----I used up every car or truck I ever owned---gave them all away to someone who needed free wheels until they could afford better.

Advertisement

Willie T (11-28-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I can imagine the feeling.

I've been wanting a truck myself for the longest time, but can't afford it (even used). Saving up though. Now I will really be able to get into bigger house projects. The thought of being able to actually buy a full sheet of drywall or plywood, instead of getting it cut into small pieces lol.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red Squirrel For This Useful Post:
Doc Holliday (11-27-2011)
Old 11-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
I'm Your Huckleberry

This whole fiasco with my (ex) boss and my not getting paid is what brought this on.

I do love my old truck and I do enjoy having an extra "just in case one breaks down" vehicle but she is getting up there in miles so perhaps it's best. I thank The Good Lord Above I got that mini service van in excellent condition.

Here she is as pictured in the ad:

$1800 asking price. Guy on his way over right now said he had $1600. We'll see.
Old 11-27-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Back in the late 90's I owned a black on black 1985 BWM M635csi...the euro lightweight version of the M6. It had 40k miles on the clock when I bought it and had been babied beyond belief. Best most reliable car I have ever owned, and remarkably inexpensive to service. I commuted weekly from Philadelphia to Bethesda MD in it and it made the drive a joy.

Then we moved to Bethesda to a house with no garage. *SOB*

It would have been an insult to keep the car outside. So I sold it after owning it for five years. The fact I got more than I paid for it did little to quell the pain. To this day I still kick myself for not having held out for a house with a garage, or finding a place to store it.

She looked just like this:

Last edited by Ironlight; 11-27-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

I need to sell something. Just 2 of us here to drive. She has her minivan, I have my car. And then, I have a full size work van, a 1-ton box truck from when I had a crew and a 70- Chevy project.

My car is not going anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Selling my truck (sniff sniff)-91300212714_0_bg.jpg  
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
I'm Your Huckleberry

Those are some really nice, clean cars!
Old 11-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 270

Back when that "cash 4 clunkers" deal was going on, I seriously looked at selling mine. I've had it since almost new, had 7,000 miles on it. Now 240,000 miles later it still looks the same.
Anyway, I did the numbers about how much I'd get for it compared to any brand's new truck prices. I won't ever buy new unless I hit the lottery.
Attached Thumbnails
Selling my truck (sniff sniff)-truck.jpg  
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
I'm Your Huckleberry

That isn't exactly what I'd consider a clunker, not by a long shot. That things still looks new.

My truck is just over the 165k mark and running just fine but looks a bit more rough comparatively. I don't use it hardly ever, pretty much just drive it on the weekends to the store once in a while and back so she doesn't just sit and rust.

I'll definitely be buying another, newer, FORD truck this next season if I sell this one.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Can girls play too? I know the feeling. Sold my '86 ranger V6 5-speed last spring. I know it's a sissy truck, but the best vehicle I ever owned. Could have gotten an "antique" designated license plate this year, too. Inherited my dad's '97 F150.

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 PM   #11
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,086

Wrecked my 89 Chevy truck just last week. Fortunately, nobody was hurt.

What sucks more than the loss of the truck is that I'd had that truck for 14 years. Drove it everywhere. Pulled a big tandem-axle trailer full of mowers all over, when my boys & I were doing their lawn-mowing service. Irreplaceable family memories. For the last 5-6 years I've put very few miles on it - mostly hauling around building materials. I've got a 5x8 trailer I can pull with my Jeep, but it's just not the same as having a truck. When you need a truck you REALLY need a truck!
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

I hope I never win the lottery since then I wall have to face selling a couple of cars.

Mine is 1999 Jimmy LST 4wd with 165,000 miles on it. Runs like a top and oil (synthetic) changed every 5000 miles or 90 days, whichever comes first. Body is perfect and no reason to sell, especially with a double attached garage.

My wife has a 2000 Blazer LS 4wd with about 120,000 miles and it runs well, but the toy suspension i a little weak for her abusive driving style. Still no reason to sell.

I discovered that having 2 almost identical cars is really a blessing, so when one goes the other does too. One benefit is the tires are identical Michelin radials (size and tread), so if I somehow lose one and an forced to buy to in order the have matching on the same axle, I just find the best of the bunch for a low mileage spare. Also, the lack of payments and $37.00 annual tags is another nice bonus.

I still will not turn down the lottery IF my numbers come up.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #13
I'm Your Huckleberry

I don't get it. If I won the lottery I'd be leaving all my vehicles in a parking lot, doors open (not just unlocked), windows down, keys in the ignition with the signed titles on the seat and written on the windshield in white shoe polish, "I WON THE LOTTERY, you're welcome!!"
Old 11-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
Back in the late 90's I owned a black on black 1985 BWM M635csi...the euro lightweight version of the M6. It had 40k miles on the clock when I bought it and had been babied beyond belief. Best most reliable car I have ever owned, and remarkably inexpensive to service. I commuted weekly from Philadelphia to Bethesda MD in it and it made the drive a joy.

Then we moved to Bethesda to a house with no garage. *SOB*

It would have been an insult to keep the car outside. So I sold it after owning it for five years. The fact I got more than I paid for it did little to quell the pain. To this day I still kick myself for not having held out for a house with a garage, or finding a place to store it.
There is a PRISTINE one same exact year/color/etc. that lives 4 houses down from me. I drool on it a little every once in a while when I'm out walking my dog.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #15
uva uvam videndo variafit

I'm still driving my 99 F150. I turned over 200,000 miles about a month ago. I won't be getting rid of it until the body starts to rust or it otherwise becomes an eyesore. I need to look at buying something that is better on gas....it'll prolly be a used car with 100,000 miles on it. I hate care notes almost as much as I hate the high price of cars anymore.

Advertisement

WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote