Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Selling my House: "Milking" more money from multiple offer situations

I am selling my house, i just received about 4-5 offers on it, one offer beats out the rest by a good margin. Even though I know this, can i or should I (or is it ethical), still ask my realtor to ask for final and best offer from all those who offered on my house, knowing that I can "milk" a few more grand from the person who put in the best offer?

jclee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Take the best offer you can get!!!!
(Are you "milking" cows?!?)

rossfingal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfingal View Post
Take the best offer you can get!!!!
(Are you "milking" cows?!?)
Yea, but it's a multiple offer situation
Old 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

If your agent is worth a damn, she or he will know how to get the best money from the offers----
Old 09-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If your agent is worth a damn, she or he will know how to get the best money from the offers----
My agent is my 22 year old brother. I had no choice but to use him. Just received his license, still very inexperienced. I'm helping him with the process of selling this house.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

I did say," worth a damn"

Does he have an experienced elder agent that you can confer with?

Have you engaged a real estate attourny yet?

You could use some sage advice from someone in your market.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 16

Nothing wrong with making a counteroffer to the other bidders.

Your agent should tell their agent that the offer is too low and let them decide what to do.

A good situation to be in for sure!
rossfingal (09-06-2013)
Old 09-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
K&B Designer

A bigger issue may be financing. Banks are very conservative on their appraisals these days, and even if you have an offer above the asking price, the appraisal may not support that. What happens then is that the buyer has to have more money down to lower the amount that the bank will approve. If they don't have the money, they don't get the loan and you either have to lower the selling price or lose the buyer. So, a multiple offer situation doesn't always mean to automatically go with the highest offer and everything will be roses. Sometimes, the lower offer who is a cash sale is the better offer in the long run!
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_Oak View Post
A bigger issue may be financing. Banks are very conservative on their appraisals these days, and even if you have an offer above the asking price, the appraisal may not support that. What happens then is that the buyer has to have more money down to lower the amount that the bank will approve. If they don't have the money, they don't get the loan and you either have to lower the selling price or lose the buyer. So, a multiple offer situation doesn't always mean to automatically go with the highest offer and everything will be roses. Sometimes, the lower offer who is a cash sale is the better offer in the long run!
Good point about the appraisal to loan amount.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #10

just glad the house house i just bought appraised for more then we offered for the house and was accepted by the seller.
redman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #11

Put out counter offers. But here is where an experienced real estate agent comes in handy: You have to strike a balance when you do that. Make your number reasonable enough that they'll stay engaged and try to meet you part way, but not so silly that they'll walk. Just the same as the buyer who wants to offer below asking still has to make their offer reasonable enough not to be laughed off. Good real estate agents advise people on how best to play that game so they can get the most money possible without killing the deal due to hurt feelings. I'm guessing you're either in a really desirable home and/or in a region with a great housing market. In this market it would have to be one hell of a property for me to get into a bidding war over it. And if I didn't have a counter-offer to work with I would probably walk away.

I hope you don't outsmart your way out of a sale.

Last edited by eharri3; 09-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eharri3 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-07-2013)
Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 4

I don't care for the "highest and best" step.

Why?

Because, as a bidder, you can't trust anyone. How do you even know they have multiple bids? It reminds me of the time when I was trying to buy a house and I made a verbal offer to the seller which I was prepared to make in writing. They said they had someone who was interested in the house and they would call them immediately and see if they wanted to put in an offer. I sat and waited to see what would happen. They apparently had the person on the telephone and said that they would match that offer and did I care to bid higher. That is when I left.

So, as a buyer, I have simply walked away from "highest and best" situations in the past.

On Thursday of last week I was trying to buy a house. The house was listed for x. The realtor told me that it would probably come to the "highest and best", because he expected multiple offers. But I could be included in the highest and best bidding if I made a verbal bid then. So I offered x-$2k, bank financed.

He sent me a bunch of paperwork and said that it had gone into multiple offers, "highest and best", and that I should submit a cash offer for my original offer amount (x-$2K) because that was the best bid so far. He sent an offer to purchase completed for that amount, cash.

I figured that the realtor either liked me to buy it, or he was screwing me. Either way, I was going to get the property or not get the property. So I filled out the offer and gave it to him. I told him that I thought it was a good offer because it was competitive and cash and he told me the other offers were all cash. Then he called me the next day and told me that they had accepted my offer.

What is the moral of the story?

The realtor should have never told me that my offer was the best so far, so don't increase it. He did nudge me towards a cash offer as well.

I bought the property for quite a bit less than market value, so I guess they just wanted to move it.

Whatever. Seemed like a screwy deal to me.

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote