Scary And Sad--COMMUNIST CHINA JUNK - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2010, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Scary and Sad--COMMUNIST CHINA JUNK

Just something to think about---I recently moved into a newer home and have made many trips to the box stores for supplies. Over the period of five months, I go to store and purchase about five items and end up taking two or three back. Most products are not made right or they are defective.
For instance--Bought two under counter florescent lights. They were direct wire and the knockout was roughly 3/8" with a romex clamp supplied. . Instead of taking another item back, I had to drill another hole so I could use a 1/2" romex clamp. About a year ago, I bought a gas heater and when I opened it I saw pipe dope and wrench markings on the fittings.
I spoke to a friend a Lowes and he told me that so many items are returned that they have to put returned item back on shelf.
Just look around and you will see.
I have two rules about shopping in any store--Check every item while in the store and I try to find AMERICAN Products. Makes shopping very complicated and time consuming.

Advertisement

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

Yep it's sad. I say they need to start taxing stuff from China, to try and encourage local manufacturing industry. I try to always get stuff that's made in Canada or USA since it's higher quality, but it's hard to come by depending on what it is.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,144

Taxing is not a sensible method. It discourages imports and exports both.

China reported buys more Buicks that the U.S. does. A tax would handicap GM and force Buick down from #3 importer into China (currently behind Mercedes and BMW). Look for the better Hyundais to take over Buick's spot. China is the largest auto market in the world and the largest manufacturer.

A computer or electronics gear may say "Made in China", but many of the processors and parts are from the U.S., but is just assembled in China.

The U.S. machine and tool industry sells a lot of manufacturing equipment in China as do many other countries. - This includes medical equipment.

The old-fashioned tariffs and taxes do not fly in a modern global economy since they can backfire. China could charge higher taxes for imports or just stop lending money to us because we are no longer the big key to international trade.

If you raised the taxes on imports from China to Walmart, the prices would just go up a little, but the volume would not disappear because of the labor cost difference, productivity and cheap shipping with huge ultra modern, efficient freighters that are too big for any canal but cross the Pacific in 4 days less, using less fuel than others with a crew of only 13 men (plus cooks and engineers).

The real quality problem is the specs by the people that want a cheap price (big boxes, retailers, etc.) and the importers thay just buy and dump. The U.S. consumer will not pay for real quality, but just want low prices. Even Europe makes lower quality tools for the U.S. market any many are brands that appear as American manufacturers. Some of their tools are not available in Europe.

It is a big world and we are only 400,000,000, while China is 1,300,000,000 and India is about 1,100,000,000 , but they (India) do not export to the U.S. by choice and they do not have to. They just buy some medical and technical and import top U.S. doctors to work in the luxury, high-tech hotels/resorts. My doctor graduated from an Indian medical school, residency and additional training in the U.S. and 20 years of practice may be going back to practice there.

The U.S. is currently 15th in education world-wide, so what do you expect with a sugar coated short range consumer oriented country?

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-20-2010 at 05:01 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Home Slave

Rewards Points: 25

Yeah, It seems like everything I buy, I have to return, replace, or exchange it at least once. That on top of the lack of quality control, employee discipline, proper merchandise handling, etc., I'm surprised this country is as well off as it is. Not only is 99% of what we by from China or another foreign country that makes low quality products, 99% of what is made in this country with the "made in USA" mark is made by those who are not from here and who do not speak english. That makes it harder to properly train, therefore quality takes a huge hit.

Everything is going to crap.....
Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:24 PM   #5

In China, they have different standards between what is for the Chinese and what is for export and specified by buyers or marketers.

When they had some bad baby formula that was made for China and then exported and it was found out to be bad. It was stopped and the top executives were executed in about 2 months because it harmed the Chinese people and the other executives were not as lucky and had to go to prison for life. In the U.S., they would still be appealing and continuing for a few more years and then getting a short "executive" sentence for the nxt couple od years before being released for "good behavior". - It is a brutal place to screw up unless the customer wants it.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 02-21-2010 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Top executives ?
A Dairy farmer & a salesman.....makes me wonder who did what
The executives were only arrested & received lesser sentences

Quote:
BEIJING — China executed a dairy farmer and a milk salesman Tuesday for their roles in the sale of contaminated baby formula – severe punishments that Beijing hopes will assuage public anger, reassure importers and put to rest one of the country's worst food safety crises.

Because it appears that they really did not make the slightest impression:

Quote:
Jan 25, 2010
Melamine’s on sale again

The Associated Press and others are reporting that milk products tainted with the toxic chemical melamine are on sale again in China.
Melamine-tainted milk products have been pulled from convenience store shelves in southern China more than a year after hundreds of thousands of children were sickened in a massive milk safety scandal, a government spokeswoman said Monday.

The AP report claims that the Chinese authorities had said they would clamp down on on this toxic food fraud, but named among the culprits in the new scandals a company that was allegedly involved first time round and had been under investigation for a year.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy_Jake View Post
Yeah, It seems like everything I buy, I have to return, replace, or exchange it at least once. That on top of the lack of quality control, employee discipline, proper merchandise handling, etc., I'm surprised this country is as well off as it is. Not only is 99% of what we by from China or another foreign country that makes low quality products, 99% of what is made in this country with the "made in USA" mark is made by those who are not from here and who do not speak english. That makes it harder to properly train, therefore quality takes a huge hit.

Everything is going to crap.....
Don't be so pessimistic! Since the imports from China overtook the imports from Mexico, low quality and defective products started showing up big time. Let's remember, that in (still Communist) China, the government does not have a conscience, --derived through Religion-- which would keep them from committing Copyright infringement or permitting bad and dangerous products to be distributed. But as their products flood the world market, more and more consumers will reject them. Ultimately, they'll get the message and will clamp down on the fraudsters. But products made in the US or Canada and Britain were never of inferior quality. The "Buyers" (purchasing agents) at the Big Box stores will opt for those, too instead of that junk from china. You make it sound like the USA is the Titanic on the verge of sinking.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Come on people, stop this nonsense. The answer is obvious. Stay out of WalMart and the box stores and quit acting like retarded lemmings following each other off the end of a cliff.

Support your still surviving suppliers of paint, garden supplies, electrical wing nuts, plumbing fittings, tools. Pay the extra $1 for something decent. And please quit blaming American greed on cheap Chinese or Mexican manufacturing. We are the world's consumers. They simply supply what we are willing to put up with and news of our shrinking standards sinks in every time you shop for box store crap. This hardly translates to a communist plot?

And the idea you cannot buy American made things is ridiculous and a cop out. You cannot buy them in a box store though. Found these links instantly.

http://www.stillmadeinusa.com/tools.html
http://www.americansworking.com/

WalMart and box stores get property tax incentives you do not. Your local stores pay the full amount to support your schools, libraries and police and fire. Lowes and HD sponsor NASCAR. Try to get so much as $1 out of yours local for little league jerseys or cheerleader squad teeshirts, etc? And do not get me started on the lack of decent health care insurance provided by large retailers that I end up paying for through taxes when people have to access the system via the ER.

Sure you are saving $1 at box stores? The convenience is really worth it? Personally, I cannot afford to shop in them.

Last edited by user1007; 02-21-2010 at 04:03 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 154

What is scary is they will ramp up the quality of their products. Decades ago "Made in Japan" was synonymous with junk. China has the labor and business sense to get it done. Younger Americans expect everything handed to them and don't get the concept of hard work. I don't see how we compete in the future.
ovahimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

You get the higher quality Chinese materials and products in China.

Dave - You are confusing two different situations. The manufacturing decision was over a year ago and two top executives were executed over a year ago as an example for others. They were responsible many plants, research and quality control and thousands of employees.

The recent case is a different thing and milk man was probably selling old products in violation of the law, so they got the same death sentence, knowing what they did was well advertised as wrong and illegal. - It is a brutal place if you do not follow the laws. They also execute north Koreans for entering the country illegally over the boarder that they are building as solid wall.

China is not what people think it is. Lots of big cars, glass and chrome in stores, American restaurants. they have the largest shopping center in the world in a city nobody recognized - over 900 stores in a 9 story mall surrounded by a parking ramp with car elevators to selected levels. Again, lots of chrome and glass and lots of music and it open until sometime after midnight. I did not see a rickshaw until my third trip since they were really replaced by scooters years ago except for tourists or in very small villages.

Dick
Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #11

I couldn't find any info/news report that said 2 Top executives were executed
The 2 that were executed is from the past incident, not the new one

CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapc...ion/index.html

NY Times:
Quote:
Dairy industry officials said last summer that the farmers and producers had largely recovered from the scandal, but some parents were still seeking redress, arguing that many of those punished so far were only scapegoats.
Other info:
Quote:
But the woman most widely blamed for the tragedy received a sentence of life in jail.

Many families of poisoned children had focused their anger on Sanlu's former general manager, Tian Wenhua, and said at the time they felt betrayed that she would not face execution.

Tian pleaded guilty late last year to charges that did not carry the death sentence.
UK:

Quote:
The executions of Zhang Yujun and Geng Jinping followed their conviction last January for manufacturing and selling a chemical-based additive that fooled inspectors into believing their milk had a high protein content.
Zhang, a farmer, produced some 770 tonnes of the powder from July 2007 to August 2008 which was laced with an industrial chemical, melamine, used in the manufacture of plastics and fertiliser.

Geng was found guilty of selling the powder to dairy brokers as well as to the now-bankrupt Sanlu Group, the dairy giant that was at the centre of the scandal which caused mass public outrage in China and seriously undermined public confidence in food safety.
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Home Slave

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
And the idea you cannot buy American made things is ridiculous and a cop out. You cannot buy them in a box store though. Found these links instantly.

[
I just stating from my experience and from my perspective..

I am a truck driver and I go to thousands of different places and I observe the people who work in these places and what goes on. Take L.L.Bean for instance. Just about everything they sell now is from China. All these corrugated packaging factories I go to all have non english speaking people from Mexico. All of the seafood companies I go to have either Mexicans or Asians who don't speak english. On top of that, I see companies take seafood in packages that are from Chinese or Korean ships that have korean print, dump the contents in packaging with English print that says Product of USA. I could go on ... quality just isn't what it once was and we are getting products from regions that aren't stated on the packaging as well. Anyone else realize how Craftsman tools just don't hold up like they used to?
Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:15 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 250

Checking every item for defects--IN THE STORE---and trying to find AMERICAN made products, is something I have been doing for several years.
I could not find ONE undercounter light that wasn't made in China. I bought a big screen TV recently, and I asked the store manager if he had anything not made in China and he said that the Mitsubishi was the only one and it was made in Mexico. Before going to this large indipendent appliance store, my wife did a search and found that two or three TV were made in Japan. We checked with this store and found that that was false.
I have asked several salespeople if they get many questions about where a product is made, and every single one has stated "People Don't Care".
So, Yes we are to blame and we are the only ones to help change the situation.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #14

Dave the 2 people that were executed in the first problem ran the plants. The executives were sentenced to prison for life and the plants were closed.

Regarding Chinese products, if I wanted a cheap violin, I would buy one from the largest supplier of violins in the world and uses U.S. and russian imported wood. The finest quality violins (over $10,000 to$50,000) are also made in China using quality Cinese old growth wood.using . - The bottom line is look at the quality of what you are buying and not just a label that says where it is made. Shortcuts cost money.

Dick
Old 02-21-2010, 06:44 PM   #15
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
The bottom line is look at the quality of what you are buying and not just a label that says where it is made. Shortcuts cost money.
And box stores are in the business of selling shortcuts. The suits that run them have never touched a paint brush or any of the tools or materials they sell. Just ask for the annual report of your fave if you do not believe me. Chairpersons of both Lowe's or HD would not know how to work so much as a hand held screwdriver.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 02-21-2010 at 06:46 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote