Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Share |

Safeway food pricing

Went to my local Safeway for a dark chocolate candy bar, looked at the choices, picked one that I read was 2/$5 on the "special savings price drop-tag. Great, always looking for a bargain, went to self-serve checkout and it rang up regular price. Cashier sent a runner to price check-- yep, listed for regular price. The 2/$5 was a "Coming soon" price- in the small note above the "Sale" drop-down price tag...... didn't buy it.

Buyer beware. Perhaps the originator of this new tricky/deceptive pricing ploy sold cars before food.

I'm used to their computer price not matching the listed sale price but this is a whole new level. Oh well, I was eating too much candy anyway. I hope they don't start listing food this way or I will not shop there, thanks for reading my venting.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #2

Safeway food pricing

Definitely underhanded. That marketing tatic won't last long. It tie up the front end staff with repeated complaints and cashiers having to give refunds for people who say no way after the fact.

I wonder why they would choose to alert the customers to a future on sale item when they stand to make more money selling it now at the higher price if they had not installed the sign.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Safeway food pricing

I finally fired one of the local grocery chains, due to how bad it became dealing with the cashier staff. No where in the mailers would there be a coupon for stuff, but when you get to the store, you had to have a coupon for the stuff advertised in the mailer. Even telling this to the cashier, got deer in the headlights looks, and no way could you get the sale price, even though they knew the mailer did not have the coupon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #4

Safeway food pricing

That's just sneaky and dishonest. Unless that's the only store to shop at in the area, I'd have to take my business elsewhere.

Although, if one store is doing it and getting away with it, other stores will start doing it too.

They are counting on people being in a hurry and not paying attention enough to notice that they were charged more than they expected - which is probably more than half of the population.

This isn't the same thing, but in Michigan, we have a law that says if a store overcharges on an item, you can take it back. They have to give you the difference in price, plus $5. I think there is more to it than that, but I've used it a few times.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
STAFF

Safeway food pricing

A hardware store, that we all know, had an ad for camper chairs for a really good price but only for three days. On the day it started I was there, they were out of them, I said y'all just opened, yeah but we are out of them. I told them I see their tricks. They did have a less well built chair there for more though.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #6
DIY staff

Safeway food pricing

I boycotted Safeway for years---there are much better places that don't try to con a shopper---
Old 11-03-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
STAFF

Safeway food pricing

I wish we had a grocery here in the valley all we have is Wal-Mart, they ran all the good grocery stores out of business, I would even settle for a Safeway.

Jim
Old 11-03-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Safeway food pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I wish we had a grocery here in the valley all we have is Wal-Mart, they ran all the good grocery stores out of business, I would even settle for a Safeway.
Walmart didn't run them out of business, the ownership did it to themselves. Customers will make and break you, and in reality, Walmart is not cheap, and their meat is crap, unless you go to Sam's Club.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
STAFF

Safeway food pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Walmart didn't run them out of business, the ownership did it to themselves. Customers will make and break you, and in reality, Walmart is not cheap, and their meat is crap, unless you go to Sam's Club.
I do agree Wal Mart isn't cheap and I wouldn't buy meat there on a bet. I did a couple of times and the meat was ruined. Wal Mart has turned into a large dollar store but the prices didn't.

Jim
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #10

Safeway food pricing

Interesting comments, thanks to all for the feedback.

The moral of my story is "watch your prices as they ring-up", (no matter where you shop).

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-03-2012), gma2rjc (11-03-2012), gregzoll (11-03-2012), mae-ling (11-04-2012), oh'mike (11-03-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #11

Safeway food pricing

Not to bash Walmart, but when I use coupons, each cashier has her own set of rules as to what she will accept. The cash register computer figures out most of it of course, but other than that, I've always had better luck if I looked for a lane with a young cashier. They don't seem to be as as the one's over 35.

The biggest problem is when the coupon says, "one coupon per purchase". Which just tells the cashier that I can't use 3 or 4 coupons on a single item and get it free. But some of them seem to confuse 'per purchase' with 'per transaction'. So if I have 3 bottles of shampoo and 3 coupons to go with them, they'll make me pay for the first one. Then start a new order with the 2nd one and pay for it. And the same with the 3rd bottle. It's annoying.

What I learned is that the best thing to do is go on their website and print out their coupon policy. Then if there's a problem, show it to the cashier.

It happens at other stores too though, not just Chinamart.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 PM   #12

Safeway food pricing

Don't know about down south but most of the grocery chains here will price match. If you bring in a flyer from another store they will match the price on the exact item. Sometimes they will even give extra 10% of the difference. So if the difference was a $1.00 you would get $1.10 off.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #13

Safeway food pricing

The store I shop at the most - Meijer - will price match, but not on groceries. I think they would get more business if they did.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #14

Safeway food pricing

If you do very much coupon shopping, a great website to visit is www.afullcup.com . It takes a little while to find your way around the site, but it's really helpful.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #15
Pro Flooring Installer

Safeway food pricing

I know the manager at the local Sears store. He says that many of the items in the sales ad, he can't get. There aren't any in the warehouse. He says this happens every week. Then he gets to explain it to the customers.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-04-2012), gma2rjc (11-04-2012), mae-ling (11-04-2012)