Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2012, 04:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

running business without license

I had a bad experience with a tile guy. I wanted to warn others of his tactics. I live in the state of Fl, so I do not think one needs a contractor license for tile/paint. He doesn't have a business name and requests the checks written to him personally. I normally wouldn't have used him, but he was referred to me by another contractor. He ended up subbing the work to another tile guy (I'm not sure if this guy is running a properly established business either). In the end, he used the incorrect material and did not do what was stated.

Is there any regulatory agency I can file a complaint with?

Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

Local building Dept. is where I would start.
State licencing board would be just contacting the local building dept to check it out.
If you Google your local county name and add building dept. it may have local licencing requirements. If not try the state.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Local building Dept. is where I would start.
State licencing board would be just contacting the local building dept to check it out.
If you Google your local county name and add building dept. it may have local licencing requirements. If not try the state.
I checked it out. There are no requirements or permits for that field. What about running a business without the proper filings. I would assume he would at least have to file for a business tax receipt from the county. He is taking bids and doing jobs. I would think he would have to at the very least register as a business.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

did you pay him in full already?
SeanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:46 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I checked it out. There are no requirements or permits for that field. What about running a business without the proper filings. I would assume he would at least have to file for a business tax receipt from the county. He is taking bids and doing jobs. I would think he would have to at the very least register as a business.
Depends on where you live. No licence required here.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:34 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you out for vengeance or just sincere about warning others? Sounds like you are angry and want to draw blood in large amounts? No offense but you seemed to know something was wrong going into this and you must have, or should have noticed the tile was wrong as it was going up? And a sub was doing the work? Did you have a written agreement? I forget but the amount is fairly low---$1K I think---for needing one by law here.

If the guy is running any business he should at least have a local business license. But do you really want to destroy the guy, get him in trouble with the City or challenge his livelihood if he is a business on 2x3.5" card stock only? Maybe you should. I cannot make that judgment.

Seems to me your energies are best spent seeing if you can resolve this to your satisfaction with him. Not to be preachy but sometimes you just have to chalk things up to lessons learned. I am sure next time you will know to use a legitimate contractor and not a "tile" or "whatever" guy? Even if a bit more expensive the person or company will have insurance, etc.

Last edited by user1007; 08-11-2012 at 05:39 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:28 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

This is not exactly a DIY related topic.

You used a guy that had no legit business, paid him to his personal name, and most likely paid a bottom feeding scumbag = you get what you pay for.

Pay attention to the "Red Flags" as early as possible.

FWIW - I carefully screen all my Clients (Property Owners), by asking specific questions, listening carefully to the answers, watch body language, eye contact, etc. (even a hand shake grip - can say something about a person). I look for red flags before I agree to work for them (There are scum bag property owners, just as sure as there are scum bag contractors).

Do your due-diligence "before".....not "after" the fact.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtlanticWBConst. For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Are you out for vengeance or just sincere about warning others? Sounds like you are angry and want to draw blood in large amounts? No offense but you seemed to know something was wrong going into this and you must have, or should have noticed the tile was wrong as it was going up? And a sub was doing the work? Did you have a written agreement? I forget but the amount is fairly low---$1K I think---for needing one by law here.

If the guy is running any business he should at least have a local business license. But do you really want to destroy the guy, get him in trouble with the City or challenge his livelihood if he is a business on 2x3.5" card stock only? Maybe you should. I cannot make that judgment.

Seems to me your energies are best spent seeing if you can resolve this to your satisfaction with him. Not to be preachy but sometimes you just have to chalk things up to lessons learned. I am sure next time you will know to use a legitimate contractor and not a "tile" or "whatever" guy? Even if a bit more expensive the person or company will have insurance, etc.
Your assumptions are incorrect. I found out he used the wrong materials through the waste/trash after the job was done.

I believe everyone should run a legitimate business. I'm not sure why you do not. My intentions are to protect other consumers.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

How did the contract read? If you had a handshake good luck, if you had a contract then you may have a case. I am not familiar with FL but when you wrote the check out to a person I would say RED FLAG, you saved money in your mind at the beginning now us contractors say you get what you paid for.
user1007 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
I believe everyone should run a legitimate business. I'm not sure why you do not. My intentions are to protect other consumers.
Me too and with real books and no under the table deals. I always have but some do not and as long as people hire them, they will get away with it---client and work provider. Maybe it is the cost of business permits. I don't know. I certainly do not fault you for ferreting out what you thought was a deal. I really do sympathize with you in that it did not turn out so well.

Anyhow, since the guy is not legit the branch of your State government that oversees contractor licenses is not going to be able to do much nor are places like the BBB since he is not a real business either. You could join and bash him on Angie's List but its credibility is not so good. You could turn him in for not having a business license (if you are sure) but that is not exactly the same as red flagging his work. Cities where the business is located usually issue business permits.

I say again, sometimes you just have to accept your responsibility, chalk it up to a learning experience and walk away. Vengeance, as appealing is it especially when one is steamed up, may seem a good idea but is just not worth it. And without a written contract you would just be getting into "he said/she said".

Last edited by user1007; 08-12-2012 at 06:00 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote