Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Restroom Supplies

I run a restaurant and our staff if divided on an important issue.

Do customers remember the quality of the restroom supplies? The reason is that we've recently started using the cheapest restroom supplies. We're saving a lot of money each month, but they're just awful. The paper towels disintegrate and are making a mess. The soap is like white glue and the air freshener smells like cheap gin.

Some of the staff thinks that as long as the restroom is clean and the food is good people will forget about the bad supplies. Some of us, including me, think that bad supplies are NOT worth it and that they give people a bad first impression.

michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,074

Restroom Supplies

I agree about the supplies.

The better the type of restaurant, the higher quality the supplies. Not necessary to have an attendant handing out towels and turning on the hot water in advance for 95% of the restaurants though.

People are interested in a clean, sanitary place to go to eat and everyone is an expert on T.P., and recognize skimping in a supposedly sanitary room that should also smell decently. A posted cleaning/inspection sheet with an hour by hour log in with initials is also a great feature when it comes to assurance.

Dick

Last edited by concretemasonry; 09-27-2012 at 02:03 PM.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Restroom Supplies

When I eat, I go wash hands, urniate, or whatever. I find a crumby restroom. crumby supplies, etc, I just put it on my 'Do not return to' list.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Code05 (09-30-2012), DexterII (09-26-2012), gma2rjc (09-27-2012), oh'mike (09-26-2012)
Old 09-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Restroom Supplies

Don't cheap out on supplies.

Its also a nice touch when a basket of products is available for patrons to use. Nice handlotion, hairspray, femme products mouthwash ect
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to creeper For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (09-25-2012)
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Restroom Supplies

Okay, to give you guys a better idea of the type of place we've got.

Average price of a meal (often steak or fish) would be 20-25 dollars. Couples spend around 100 especially if they drink. We're trying to make the place a bit more upscale, so we're going to buy better supplies for the restroom.

Other Questions
1. Foam Soap - What are the advantages/disadvantages?
2. Cleaning Log w/ Initials - Does this look too "fast food."
3. Toilet Seat Covers - Are these tacky? (We currently have the metal dispensers in the stalls.)
michaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Restroom Supplies

1; don't know

3; yes and gross. Have someone go in periodically to make sure it remains tidy and in good supply

2; moot if you have someone go in

Last edited by creeper; 09-26-2012 at 12:10 PM.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 570

Restroom Supplies

I like the foam soap,hate the blow dryers. I remember when they had cloth hand wipes to dry to dry your hand .Turn the crank for clean cloth.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,024

Restroom Supplies

I'm with Tinner. In fact, if I have been traveling for a while, at an event where there was a lot of hand shaking, or whatever, I generally stop to wash before or shortly after getting to the table, and as long a I haven't ordered anything yet, have gotten up and left if the rest rooms were not neat and clean. No matter how expensive the place is, I don't need someone to hand me a warm towel, but regardless of anything else, I want towels that don't fall apart, and while probably the lowest on my list of concerns, well below cleanliness, decent towels, etc., I do not care for foam soap.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,124

Restroom Supplies

Yes on buying better supplies.

Yes on #3 - seat covers in the metal container hanging on the wall. If those aren't available, I have to use T.P. to cover the seat. Same results, but it takes up some of my time and probably costs you more when you have to buy more rolls of it.

No for #2 - a cleaning log on the door. It doesn't make me think that the bathroom is cleaner - especially when I can see that it hasn't been kept up and there are initials on the door saying it's been cleaned.

Also, I like it when there is a trash can right next to the main door going out of the bathroom. After I've washed my hands, I dry my hands with paper towel and use the same paper towel to open the door (lots of nasty germs on bathroom door handles). It's handy to have a can right there to toss the paper towel in.

Since we're on the subject, one thing that really makes a public bathroom look dirty - no matter how clean it is - is the dirt that builds up at the bottom of the walls, where the floor mop swishes against it. It just doesn't look nice.

FWIW

Last edited by gma2rjc; 09-27-2012 at 02:06 PM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Kelly "Cupcake Queen"

Rewards Points: 10

Restroom Supplies

I own a bakery, and while we do have one unisex bathroom, I use the the cheap stuff as well. My stance is that if the bathrooms are very clean and LOOK nice (decor and comfort wise), then it shouldn't matter.
kolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,124

Restroom Supplies

You can also check online for 'home made' cleaners. A lot of the time they can be much cheaper, "environmentally friendlier", and do a better job than expensive or generic products.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote