Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2009, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Real Cabin Fever

In the past I have joked about having cabin fever when there wasn't much to do in my area. Two weeks ago tomorrow, I found the "real" meaning of the words. We had a huge ice storm here in Arkansas. For 12 days, no electric, having to boil water for drinking, using a kerosene heater and eating lots of soup. Daylight was about 8 hours per day and in our small town, most businesses had no power either. Spending the evenings with candlelight, the glow of the heater (two nights, the temps went down to 16 degrees) and a battery powered radio was not something I want to do again soon. It doesn't take long to learn an appreciation for what we usually consider normal.

Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #2

Real Cabin Fever

It's kind of like a camping trip you never intended to go on. I talked to a friend in Kentucky who was getting the same storm a couple weeks ago. She said it was eerie listening to all the branches and limbs snapping on the trees.

I'm glad to hear everything's back to normal. Hopefully you didn't have too much damage to your trees.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #3

Real Cabin Fever

I've never had to go through something like that, has to be a helpless feeling to only be able to wait it out. You didn't mention, but I'm hoping you made it through somewhat okay, the after effects can't be good. Just knowing pipes may be freezing up. At most I've gone 3 days without power but was able to go a mile down the road to family whose power was on. You are right, it gives us something to think about. Hope all is well.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

Real Cabin Fever

I guess my pipes are as well insulated as I hoped since none froze. Our water here is from a Rural Water service and is actually well water. With no power, they could not pump for 3 days. Then there was a "boil water" warning for 10 more days. The National Guard came in and offered bottled water and MRE's. They are much better than the C-rations I ate back in the 60's. LOL. I have damage to about 20 trees and one 30' Cedar that fell over from the weight of the ice. Around 300 or 400' of wooden privacy fence is also down. It broke the posts off at ground level. I think the sounds were the weirdest thing. Just like listening to a soundtrack from a King Kong movie when he is going through the forest. Limbs cracking and breaking most of the time. Now the real fun begins. The County placed a burn ban in effect until FEMA can assess the damages. Guess I'll have trees and limbs on the ground until at least summer. Insurance companies are also waiting for FEMA to see what they will cover. FEMA also brought in a bunch of trailers for the emergency workers to take showers. Too bad they forgot to bring the generators to power them. We still have trailers from Katrina stored here, and they cannot be sold since they found they contain Formaldahyde (sp?) fumes.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #5

Real Cabin Fever

I can only imagine going through something like this. The storm ends but the real stuff starts. Can't be an easy time putting life back in order. Things you don't think about. People that couldn't get to work, resulting in no paycheck. All the paperwork involved in cleaning up the mess. We can sit around and say how glad we are for coming through with no injuries, and we would be thankfull but the rest is not easy. Good luck to you in your recoverery time, can't be an easy thing to go through.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #6

Real Cabin Fever

Thanks DUDE. With the exception of the mess, things are pretty much back to normal. One thing that surprised me was that there was not much price gouging (even though not a whole lot of places were open for the first 3 days). Ace hardware was selling Kerosene for $15 a gallon in 5 gallon containers. Guess they thought the metal can was worth paying the price. My wife drove to the next town over and got it for less than $5 a gallon in old Kitty Litter jugs (I knew I saved them jugs for a reason). There will be lots of Cedar wood for wood workers. Cedar is plentiful here and we also have a sawmill. Seeing a lot of smoke around, for being a burn ban.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Stuck in the 70's

Real Cabin Fever

I don't envy you. Been there, done that two years ago in Missouri. 12 days without power and we had moved in only 10 days previous! If it wasn't for the fireplace, three big dogs and some incredible neighbors I don't know what we would have done.

Be careful working outside! We had broken branches falling for...., well, we still have old branches falling.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 PM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Real Cabin Fever

Wow...glad you are OK, MD
That's a real long time

Being stuck out in the North Atlantic, we often lose electricity due to ice storms
But also, as it happens often enough during the winter, they pretty much can get it back up pretty quick...a few days at most (usually)

Two weeks is a loooong time

Again, glad you are back and OK!
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:26 PM   #9

Real Cabin Fever

Thanks Slickshift. Before I moved here (about 6 years ago) they had a storm that put the power out for 6 weeks. Lots of trees here and being in a rural area, none get trimmed. There are still lines on the ground that are powered up and waiting for new shipment of poles to arrive.