Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
Angry

RANT about eBay

My rant for today is eBay. Item for sale---ask a legitimate question, and it is not answered, 90% of the time!
I have had to contact seller for shipping information and tracking number on 8 out of 10 items!
I always pay immediately---Last two items I won, seller stated it would be shipped 3 days after payment. It has been a week and no response from seller after I have requested communication. Seller has 100% rating for close to 239 items Other item stated would be shipped 5 days (my mistake) after payment. It has been 6 days with no information. 99.7 feedback with 1167 items sold.

Is it just me or does everyone have problems?

Thanks--I already feel a little better but will probably use eBay for apprasial purposes from now on.

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
Retired

Rewards Points: 75

RANT about eBay

I also have experienced what I call "arrogant sellers". I try deal with them only when absolutely necessary. Price being the deciding factor.
Mike

Old 02-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #3
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

RANT about eBay

I try to avoid ebay unless I can't find the item anywhere else or it's too good of a deal. What I don't like about ebay is the lack of communication. Like if you buy something from newegg, they'll send you email updates on the progress of the order. With ebay, you basically wait and hope you get the item and did not get screwed.

For example I'm waiting on a dell KVM console and it's been at least 2 weeks. I have no idea if it's even shipped or not.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

RANT about eBay

I believe what is becoming more and more prevelant with Ebay is, there a way to many vendors selling on Ebay that are from China, this becomes a very large issue with communication, time it take for delivery.

Time for delivery is usually a good way to determine these sites, if it say it takes 2 weeks, its coming from China, in that case good luck.

I always stick with the folks that answer my question, no answer no transaction, its that simple.

Mark
Old 02-05-2011, 01:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

RANT about eBay

Another thing I have noticed is "shipping cost". I am usually not concerned with what a seller charges for shipping, I just include that with the maximum price I will pay.
I found two pneumatic swivel casters wheels on eBay and the cost is close to what I can purchase from Northern Tool but the shipping charge is close to triple.
I will order from Northern because my questions were answered within an hour
I have never purchased from Northern so I will soon find out.
I think a lot of eBay sellers make their money on shipping and a lot of buyers are not concerned with that cost.
Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,002

RANT about eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
Another thing I have noticed is "shipping cost". I think a lot of eBay sellers make their money on shipping and a lot of buyers are not concerned with that cost.
A lot of ebay sellers that are volume sellers specializing in less expensive items jack up the shipping and sell the item for what looks like a loss. It gets them around paying ebay seller fees which are based on a percentage of the sale. Smaller sales price, smaller fee. Shipping does not figure into ebay's fees.

Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,238

RANT about eBay

I have only had one problem with an ebay seller, and he made good.

When what I ordered did not show up in a couple of weeks, I sent a note and he shipped out another item.

3 months later, I received the other oder, repackaged by the post office, and missing 2 items.

I notified the seller, and he said to keep them.

When ever I find his name, and he has the item I want, I buy from him.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

RANT about eBay

Just keep in mind that:

Ebay user accounts are hacked or sold for cheap.

So it is not impossible for a scammer to use an account with a high reputation.
kanepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #9
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

RANT about eBay

I've been burned once or twice, but I still buy on ebay quite a bit. However, I always look for U.S. shippers, and never buy electronics or big ticket items.

I compare buying on ebay with loaning friends money. Never give out more than you can afford to lose.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

RANT about eBay

I've been using Ebay to buy as well sell items. If you're buying an item, make sure to check what seller has been selling recently. If the product line has changed dramatically (used to sell books and now iphone 4) that should raise some red flags.

pex plumbing pipe
pex pipe
pex

Last edited by fromike; 02-25-2011 at 10:08 AM.
fromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
Learning by Doing

RANT about eBay

We buy and sell on eBay a fair bit. As stated above, we won't buy electronics (too much risk they 'fell off the back of a truck'). When we buy we'll only buy from US based vendors. And we won't sell out of the country. We use paypal to payments both ways.

We've been e-screwed a time or two, but for the most part people try to make things right. And we try to make things right on our end.

Our biggest problem was buying an amp off an audio-phile site. Long story short: we had to sue the guy. He was in NYC and we were invited to go on the PEOPLES COURT. Too bad he never responded to anything, it would have been awesome! Now we have a judgment against him, had a great long weekend in Manhattan, and a hard lesson learned.

Always take pictures if you are selling to document condition. And take pics right away when you receive items.

As for sellers who won't respond to questions they solution is easy. Don't buy from them.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:57 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

RANT about eBay

Last - if anyone is looking for antique lighting from a great vendor PM me and I'll give you his info. It was for sure our best eBay experience.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 PM   #13
DIY Hack

Rewards Points: 500

RANT about eBay

the reason shipping prices are so high is that's how sellers save money on ebay fees. If a seller sells an item for $1 and charge $49 shipping, ebay charges the seller like $0.05 in fees ( or something like that). If the seller sells the same item for $50 with free shipping, ebay charges a fee of $4

There used to be some great deals on ebay back in the day, but these days it seems that there are much better deals on Amazon
Old 03-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

RANT about eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanepe View Post
Just keep in mind that:

Ebay user accounts are hacked or sold for cheap.

So it is not impossible for a scammer to use an account with a high reputation.
I've never thought of that. That's rather worrying.

Like others have said, I tend to avoid ebay unless I can't get the item anywhere else or it's a particularly good deal.

But I'll have to keep that in mind for the future...

amyevans is offline   Reply With Quote