Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Putting house up for rent - keep pool or no?

I'm going to be putting our house up for rent here soon. I have a 'permanent' (not Intex style) 15' x 4' pool up. I hear mixed reviews on leaving it up. Some say it's a liability, some say no. Some say let the renter decide. I don't care either way.

What's the general consensus on pools with rental homes?

Thanks.

Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
I'm going to be putting our house up for rent here soon. I have a 'permanent' (not Intex style) 15' x 4' pool up. I hear mixed reviews on leaving it up. Some say it's a liability, some say no. Some say let the renter decide. I don't care either way.

What's the general consensus on pools with rental homes?

Thanks.
Noway its a big liability. Not sure how insurance works on owners end when renting.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 747 For This Useful Post:
Hardway (05-06-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #3

Remove it - 100%!!
Way too much liability!
Accidents happen, whether you're there or not!
Even if you have the renter put something in writing -
where they assume responsibility -
talk to your ins. agent.
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Insurance was the first issue that came to my mind too. Not just for them and their offspring but your role with respect to neighborhood kids changes if you are an absentee pool owner too.

And then there is the maintenance issue. It can be hard enough to get a tenant to take care of the yard and I always just paid a gardener so I didn't have to worry about the Cities I lived in fining me. Unless you get really lucky, finding a tenant committed to pool maintenance is really gambling IMO.

Can the thing be moved? Maybe somebody on CL would want it.

I you leave it, make sure an understanding of who cares for it an how is in writing, in the lease. Do make sure your insurance company will extend you liability insurance to cover a tenant responsible for it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Floor Installer

We considered a pool, but our insurance agent said we needed a million dollar liability policy at a minimum. Did you know that if the pool is fenced, and has a locked cover, if someone breaks in and drowns, you are liable? That is what my agent was telling me.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
Renovating My Land Yacht

Dave,

We just rented out our house for the first time last year. Its good that you are thinking ahead. We researched a bunch of things before we made the decision so I will share them here.

You also need to verify that you can rent it out if you currently have a mortgage - depending on when you got your mortgage some of them now have riders stating that the house cannot be rented.

In addition to the pool, another thing to check on the would be tenants is if they have a dog, you need to know the breed. Pretty much all insurance companies will deny liability coverage if something happens and the dog is of a particular breed.

One of the things we require is renters insurance with a pet rider from our tenants as a part of the lease if they have pets. That way they are first inline. Its not expensive and this benefits them too- if your water heater leaks and their stuff gets wet etc they are covered. Their possessions are not covered under your policy.

Also of note is when you move out you need to make sure your insurance company is aware. They will switch your coverage to a fire policy - basically it covers everything it does now with the exception of vandalism. If you don't notify them and something catastrophic happens they then have the right to deny any coverage and they will verify.

Its sad but in todays world you have to do everything you can to protect yourself.

Sounds scary but if you have your ducks in a row its an easy process. And I hope you are lucky and get great tenants that we have been blessed to have. Sorry for rambling on but I like it when I can give something back to the site.

Robyn
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

While you're checking with your insurance company about the pool, ask them about a trampoline. Even if you don't have one, the renter may put one in the yard and that can be as much of a liability as a pool.

FWIW, I think you should remove the pool.

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam floor View Post
We considered a pool, but our insurance agent said we needed a million dollar liability policy at a minimum. Did you know that if the pool is fenced, and has a locked cover, if someone breaks in and drowns, you are liable? That is what my agent was telling me.
Well, if you are renting out your home you should probably carry $1M umbrella added to your new homeowner policy anyhow. I don't think the insurance company will attach it to the insurance policy for the rental.

Of course in our wonderful litigious society, people suit for all you have and more including the maximum you carry in liability. Still might save you from losing your new home though.

Asking the tenant to carry an inexpensive renter policy even without pets is not a bad idea. Just so they understand what is covered and is not. Jewelry, cameras, computers, etc. need riders---if you can get them as a tenant---just like for homeowner insurance. Bad credit can keep tenants from getting renter policies though.

If this is your first time renting property out, make sure you do a punch list and walk through with you and your tenants initially and signing it indicating anything wrong or right with the place like appliance being in working order, anything needing fixing, condition of window treatments and flooring, etc.

Last edited by user1007; 05-06-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Get rid the the thing, in the news not long ago two kids on Long Island climbed over their fence into the neighbor's yard, and drowned in their swimming pool, the owner was not home at the time and the pool had a cover on it since it was inactive. Last I read, the police/prosecutor were looking to charge the pool owner with something, and you can bet there will be a major lawsuit in the millions which goes far beyond the average homwowner's insurance.

2 children drown in Long Island neighbor's pool

The owner of a Long Island, N.Y., home where two neighborhood siblings were found drowned had previously been cited for improper fencing around a pool, local media were reporting Monday.
Sharon Knowles, 7, and Ralph Knowles, 5, were fully clothed when they were pulled from the above-ground pool Sunday, shortly after police received a 911 call from the children's family saying the kids were missing.

The owner of the pool, just behind where the children lived, had been cited by the town for improper fencing, Fandrey said. The pool was enclosed, but the framed side of the stockade fence was facing out, instead of the smooth side, which could make the fence easier to climb from outside, he said.
Neighbor Donnavon Downs told CBS he saw the children climbing a tree in their yard earlier in the day. "I saw them on the limb right there, and I don't know if they look over, curious, on the other side, see the pool," he said.

The investigation of their drowning is still underway to determine if criminal charges need to be filed.
--

Swimming pool drowning accidents are one of the more common types of premises liability cases that can result in filing of a wrongful death lawsuit. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), drowning is the fifth leading cause of unintentional fatal injuries. On average, 10 people lose their lives every single day as a result.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

Well, great advice. After reading ya'lls replies and the news stories, I believe it would be in my best interest to get rid of the pool and cut my losses.

The most depressing part is that I put it up in July a couple years ago during a horrible heat wave. It rained EVERY weekend that summer after I put up the pool. Summer 2012: I traveled on the road every other week for work, never opened up the pool, just too busy. Now here we are over $1K into this pool that I've used one time. Wonder if there's a market for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave88LX For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-07-2013)
Old 05-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #11

I have USAA for my insurance. Strangely it will be cheaper for me to have renter's insurance than it does my homeowners. I will need to do some serious digging these next couple months to get everything squared away to make this a rental (including TONS of DIY projects I need to finish up).
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave88LX View Post
Wonder if there's a market for it.
Nothing lost by seeing if it moves on eBay regional or Craig's List right? It looks to be in good shape? Can you still post things on community boards at parks and rec sites or grocery stores? Do people still read newspaper classified? Weeklies used to hang around the house and were dirt cheap when it came to advertising. Grocery stores where I lived in Central Illinois had classified ad newspapers at the grocery exits.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Lord of Slums

oh, come on Dave. One last blow out pool party.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #14

I never even had a "finished putting it up" party.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #15
Jack of all - master none

Well, if you're moving and putting this house for rent, you won't be using it anyway. It is unfortunate you never really got to use it, but either way that ship has sailed. If you take it down and sell it, at least you get a few dollars out of the deal, whereas the new tenant would be the one getting any use out of it (if they maintain and don't destroy it).

I wish my house didn't have a pool. My whole yard is fenced, which by ordinance says the pool then does not have to be fenced - and it wasn't. Now that my twins are almost 2 and can run around the yard, I spent my vacation last week building a fence around the pool too. It's still just a big worry having it there... and an expense, and another thing to maintain, and an insurance liability, and something I feel "guilty" if I don't use even if I don't want to, and gets in the way of my desired garage expansion. But the wife likes it, so there it stays.

hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote