Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
Question

Purchasing a new boiler

Hi Everyone:

I know that this is a DIY forum not a shopping forum but I have a question. We purchased our home less than a year ago and it was built in 1930. Amazingly it has the original boiler that was switched from coal to oil. Honestly, she's a monster and of course wrapped with asbestos (lovely). As you can guess she isn't very efficient and we need to replace her.

We recently received a quote to replace the old boiler and install a new one and there was an additional charge of $1,500.00 to remove the asbestos coating on the old one.

The total was $6,500.00 but honestly, they didn't do anything other than look at the old unit. Aren't they supposed to know how many radiators/baseboard heaters we have, sq ft of the house, amount of outside walls, new or old windows? I'm just guessing that all of those factors would come into play when sizing a unit.

Is the price reasonable? My house is 2 stories (of course not including the basement), 1618 sq ft there are 5 radiators and 4 rooms (including bathroom) have baseboard heating. I have windows galore and realistically only 5 are brand spanking new with all the argon gas...blah blah blah, 6 that are probably 12 years old and 15 that are probably original and my front door is mostly glass w/additional storm door mostly glass and leads to a screened in porch with 10 more windows that were installed 20 years ago or so.

Sorry for rambling but I am trying to give you as much info as possible.

A neighbor told us to go to a plumbing supply house and order a new unit and get it to our home and have a plumber (that installed his) install ours and the price will be much cheaper BUT if I do that how do I know if we are under estimating or over estimating the size we really need?

Thanks in advance for any/all answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Purchasing a new boiler-p1010369.jpg  

Last edited by theselenaverse; 09-01-2010 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added picture
theselenaverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
PZ Reject...

Rewards Points: 10

Purchasing a new boiler

thats a fair price...he probly knows what hes doing and is sizing according to his expirence...thats how i do it on replacements and have never had a problem..altho i do always ask if they ever plan on expanding the house...

now on a new install i size it according to the print....

Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Purchasing a new boiler

Hi Rambo:

Thank you very much for your response.
theselenaverse is offline   Reply With Quote