Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Propane or charcoal grill on your patio/deck ?

Which do you like to cook on best ? My 7 year old propane grill gave out last summer so I went to Lowes and bought another one just like the old one. ...

Wow, what a piece of junk the new one was. I returned it and picked out a charcoal unit and I love it. I haven't cooked with charcoal in 20 years and now that I am a "senior" I dont mind waiting for the charcoal to heat up. ....

I had forgotten how I missed that charcoal "taste" on my sirloin and the smell it makes coming out of the grill.

Jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,204

I have a George Foreman electric outdoor grill. I cook fajita meat on it quite often and steaks a few weeks back. Steaks came out so so.

I want a gas grill.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

when the gas grill quits on you line the bottom with heavy foil and put your charcoal briquettes in there
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Definitely a personal decision.. but imo nothing beats the flavor charcoal puts on grilled food.
s-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-one View Post
Definitely a personal decision.. but imo nothing beats the flavor charcoal puts on grilled food.
And soak some hickory or apple wood and add to the mix. I had a tiny real cast hibachi for years that I used almost more than my Weber. One bag of charcoal would last forever. But with the Weber, you can fit more. I soaked corn on the cob overnight and steamed it. Try slicing pineapple in one inch slices and grill at the end of cooking the main course. Fish and seafood on the grill were my fave although some freaked out when I tossed lobsters on the grill. Why they didn't mind boiling them to death baffled me.

I also have a super heavy but nice iron wok I bought years ago. It has a flat bottom so it will fit on any stove. But the nice thing is it is heavy enough you can nest the thing in a bed of hot charcoals and steam things in addition to grilling.

I am afraid grilling is one thing I had to give up moving back to the City. There is a Weber restaurant here that cooks on specially adapted grills. They run a nice lunch special. Hamburger and trimmings for $5! And someone waits the table. Not much of a fast food person I guess. McDs is not exactly cheap anymore!

Last edited by user1007; 04-20-2012 at 04:14 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #6
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 520

Charcoal tastes better, but it's warm-up time doesn't fit our current lifestyle. I hate buying propane though. Natural gas hookup is the way to go! I had that at my last house, and just ran the gas line for this house. Just need to get the patio in (next summer) and convert my propane grill over and be "off the bottle" again.
hyunelan2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

I stick with propane nowadays...

beeristhebest is offline   Reply With Quote