Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |

Pricing for Post Construction cleaning of new homes

Wondering how much to charge for the cleaning of new homes in Ontario. This is a move in clean to be done before closing.

asker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Vague question is vague.

I'm selling a car, how much should I ask for it?

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asker View Post
Wondering how much to charge for the cleaning of new homes in Ontario. This is a move in clean to be done before closing.

I'll take a guess....$142
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #4

I agree, gotta see the job, but I have paid from $300 for someone to wipe the sills, vacuum the carpet, wash the floor-remove the small paint spots on the vinyl-which were minimal, clean the tub and shower (dust and protective film-never used) wipe countertops/all cabinets and shelves-minimal stuff. I have paid $2400 for a buttrash where the painter left spots everywhere-countertops there was drywall dust everywhere, in the tub there was almost an inch of dust! so it wildly varies. I would figure $300 per person per day is about what I paid.
RJM Build is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJM Build For This Useful Post:
asker (08-21-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Builder are not going to want to pay a whole lot and will expect it to be perfect, so be careful you price it so you know your going to make money, but low enough and do a good enough job that you know he's going to want you back.

I had to go through a whole bunch of so called cleaners until I found someone that #1 showed up on time, had a clue what they were doing.

I've had them tell me they cleaned the windows, looked and they had left all the glue from the stickers still on the window.
Cleaned room and never touched the closets.
Vacuumed the rugs but never wiped off the baseboard.
Used Comet to clean the sink and never rince it off.
Cleaned the inside of the windows but could not figure out how to just unsnap the sash and tip it in to clean the outside.
I finally found someone I knew that was out of work and needed a job.
she runs through the house like she's on fire. When done I do not even have to go back and check it.
She now does all my clean ups, even my own house and I have set her up with lots of my customers. She now does it full time and is so busy she's thinking about hiring some help.
All because she did a good job.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (09-02-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #6

Wow! Too bad I don't live near you. I am very particular and probably way too fussy. I clean like I would expect if I were paying for the jobs that we do.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:49 AM   #7

Sorry you got me there. Cleaning a house from top to bottom as though we would expect if we were moving into these new homes. I don't want to short change myself either.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Builder are not going to want to pay a whole lot and will expect it to be perfect, so be careful you price it so you know your going to make money, but low enough and do a good enough job that you know he's going to want you back.

I had to go through a whole bunch of so called cleaners until I found someone that #1 showed up on time, had a clue what they were doing.

I've had them tell me they cleaned the windows, looked and they had left all the glue from the stickers still on the window.
Cleaned room and never touched the closets.
Vacuumed the rugs but never wiped off the baseboard.
Used Comet to clean the sink and never rince it off.
Cleaned the inside of the windows but could not figure out how to just unsnap the sash and tip it in to clean the outside.
I finally found someone I knew that was out of work and needed a job.
she runs through the house like she's on fire. When done I do not even have to go back and check it.
She now does all my clean ups, even my own house and I have set her up with lots of my customers. She now does it full time and is so busy she's thinking about hiring some help.
All because she did a good job.
And how do you pay her? By the sq. ft. or by the job? Hourly? I have always done Industrial and Commercial cleaning and charged by the hour.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

I saw that two local grocery stores had the same item, but different prices.

What you have asker, is a very, very vague question. Your best bet is if you do not want to clean it yourself and a party of people, which is the best and cheapest route, contact local cleaning companies, both public & private individuals, to see what they charge. You will be surprised that it will cost you more, than just getting a few people or the family together to do a cleaning.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #10
DIY staff

Straight pricing questions never work well here--to many variables.

I'm glad to see that the members were kind and not cruel ---You have some ideas of how to price now---

Time--materials--overhead and profit---

Remember,the bigger the job,the bigger the loss if you under bid it--

so,shoot them an honest price based on your experience with a job like that--If they don't like the price---then they need to find someone else.----Working for free is not business--it's just busy-ness.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

Open a phone book, point at a number and charge that.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote