Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:06 AM   #1

Share |

Price of repair reasonable?

My Armstrong Magic Pak recently stopped cooling. As I suspected, there was a freon leak. The technician worked on my unit for about 2hrs, 15 mins. He diagnosed the problem, fixed the leak, and recharged the unit with freon. The total bill was $660. I also had him replace the filter which he told me cost $10. So, assuming a labor charge of $100/hr, the diagnostic charge of $65, tax of $30, and a filter at $10, which brings us to a total of about $330, does it seem reasonable that the freon would cost an additional $330 to fully charge an Armstrong Magic Pak. If it matters, my condo is approximately 1,000 sq ft.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
An old Tradesmen

You need to call and ask the company that sent that tech out.
No one here can answer that question. Since we know nothing about what companies in your area need to charge to stay in business.

We're a "how to"/DIY site. Not a "did I pay too much" site.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:55 AM   #3

you need to call and ask for a breakdown of the charges. you are making some assumptions.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #4

Agreed. I'm calling today. I do realize this is a "DIY" site. I also realize that of all the do it yourselfers here, someone might have an idea of what's reasonable. I listed the HOURLY RATE so I was more inquiring about the cost of freon. Sure when I call the contractor they will tell me freon costs "$1,000,000/lb". Are they really going to tell me "Yeah, we probably overcharged you for the freon". Also, I don't know how many pounds of freon it would take to charge my system. Without knowing that or a ballpark figure on the cost of freon, when I call the contractor, they could basically tell me anything and how am I to challenge what they say? Thanks for the help and as usual on these forums a great smart @$$ reply to a simple question when a newb asks it. I never understood why people find the need to be such comedians. If you don't like the question, then don't answer.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:05 AM   #5

And this is why I usually close threads asking about costs

In many cases its a waste of peoples time as costs are widely different based on location, system, distance the person has to travel to work on the system

Perhaps asking a Cost question on a DIY site wasn't the smartest thing to do ?
While there are Pro's on this site
The site is for DIY...not cost estimates
Old 08-24-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
An old Tradesmen

DIYers. Can't tell you anything about the cost. Since they aren't running that business.

You must take the word of that company. And you can call other companies, and see if they will tell you what they would have charged for that same work. Many won't waste their time telling you.

Closed Thread