Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Pool - converting to Saltwater - HOW EASY?

So we bought a house with a beautiful large pool. Want to convert the system to SALTWATER. Reviewing the Leslie Pools web site I see there is a Controller & a Cell combination that is inserted inline of the system.

1 - is this a DIY type project? How easy to install and what are the general steps involved if you've done this?

2 - Do we have to drain the existing pool or do we just do an initial "prime" of a bunch of salt into the Pool, or how is this initiated after installing the units?

3 - How many days does it take before the pool is usable after starting the conversion?

Thanks in advance.

cody21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 16

Why would you want a salt water pool?

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:44 PM   #3

Saltwater pools have a chlorine generator that converts the salt to chlorine. Once up and running they are very easy to maintain. The biggest hurdle is the initial cost of the system. Once installed it is simple as keeping the salt levels up which keep the pool sanitized.

cody Check this link for some great info on maintaining your pool... http://www.troublefreepool.com/index.html
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #4

People want salt water pools because they save you money because it's low maintenance and it's better for your health, skin and hair. A lot of people have reactions to all the chemicals like chlorine and bromine, so salt water is a great alternative. I would love to have one. I don't know a lot lot about doing it yourself, but I do know that to prevent damage to the salt water pool, you need to run the pump 24/7.
tiger500 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tiger500 For This Useful Post:
rusty baker (06-12-2012)
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 88

You know, funny thing is, my wife's company works on Leslie Pool's corporate jet. Matter of fact, we get the excess hides and fabric from jobs that they did, that the customer no longer needed. I probably had over $10k in leather hides and fabric sitting in my wife's van. The bolt for Leslie's was probably around $2,500.00.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You would probably do well to bring in a company to map the conversion for you and make sure you have everything you need material and procedure wise on hand. Then take over regular maintenance. You may have to replace some fittings to deal with the salt water.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger500 View Post
People want salt water pools because they save you money because it's low maintenance I do know that to prevent damage to the salt water pool, you need to run the pump 24/7.
I am not sure how much one would save if you have to run the pump 24/7. My chlorinated in ground pool runs maybe 6 hours a day, more if it is used heavily. Electricity is expensive.

As for maintenance....what is the saving?. I throw on some liquid chlorine once a week, not much maintenance to that. Do you not have to vacuum a salt water pool? With any pool, if you don't want maintenance, you shouldn't have a pool.

My wife wanted to convert ours to salt, and while she is the boss on most things, I don't plan on doing it. I put the pool in 25 years ago, and have had no trouble with it. The only part of your comment I might agree with is if someone has a allergy or reaction to chlorine. I still have all my hair and my skin is just fine.
polarzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

Yes, but just think how baby-soft your WIFES skin will feel..

creeper is offline   Reply With Quote