Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2010, 11:15 AM   #1
Handy

Rewards Points: 75

Plumber stole my tape measure

When I went down to the basement to check on his progress, I saw that my toolbox was open. I had left it near the project because I started to DIY before calling the plumber. I thought, okay, he needed a tool and didn't want to go out to his truck, I'm glad to be able to help out.

This morning I'm looking for my tape measure and in my toolbox is this:

Note the cigarette burns.

Oh, innocent mistake, he got his tape mixed up with mine?

Hemingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,134

A few times I had to call a plumber or electrician to let them know they left a tool here when they were done. Never had anyone steal anything though.

Barb

gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Pretty fair trade. Now you don't have to lug around that heavier one. He could have left you nothing at all.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,124

Measured a house for carpet, the man of the house wanted to show me his electric trains. Layed my tape, calculator and measure pad on the table, with his wife sitting there. Came back in, the tape was gone. His wife was still sitting there, said she never saw it.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:41 PM   #5
Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Pretty fair trade. Now you don't have to lug around that heavier one. He could have left you nothing at all.
Heh.

Hey, by luck the plumber called today to ask if I still wanted to give him my old fishtank, and I asked him about the tape measure. I heard him rummage around in his toolkit and then say, yes this is not mine; Sorry, I'll drop it off today. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but the cynic in me says he never thought he'd get called on it.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
Heh.

Hey, by luck the plumber called today to ask if I still wanted to give him my old fishtank, and I asked him about the tape measure. I heard him rummage around in his toolkit and then say, yes this is not mine; Sorry, I'll drop it off today. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt, but the cynic in me says he never thought he'd get called on it.

That is not too many time the contractor will say they are missing something and the homeowner called in and let them know about the situation and it did happend to me once a while and with good customer they will let me know if I did forgot something and I will swing by and deal with it.

Merci,Marc
frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

Sadly,I have swiped a few customers rulers.

Never intentionaly, I automatically hang a ruler on my belt--If the customer hands me a ruler--it sometimes ends up on my belt.OOPS.

---Mike---

I have lost a few also--customer wanders into the work site and borrows a ruler--never to be seen again.---Oh well,that's life.

I am really fussy about rulers--The seldom are accurate after getting dropped,so I keep fresh tape measures in the truck any way.

---Mike---

Last edited by oh'mike; 06-01-2010 at 07:37 AM.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Oh well,that's life.
Okay now I realized I am also missing my pipe wrench. I searched for it and although I suppose I could have left it somewhere, I can't help but think it is in the Plumber's toolbox. But I don't want to accuse him of lifting it unless I am certain, so I guess I'll just let it go. A competent plumber is hard to find, so what if I give him some of my tools.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #9
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

A competent plumber should have his own tools. Any competent worker in any trade shouldn't be thieving from customers.

Speaking for myself, I know exactly what tools I have in my bag or pouch and if I do happen to pick up anything that belongs to a customer it get's put back where I found it in the same condition it was found in, or I make it right. I try to not be in a situation where I don't have the right tool for the job, it's just unprofessional.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #10

Around here any plumber is hard to find
But any good plumber does not take tools
I usually know all my tools too
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

I had a contractor leave a pretty nice hand truck at my house. I've reminded him 5 or 6 times about it too and no one came to get it. Guess he doesn't need it that much...
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:06 AM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,462

Sometimes retrieving a tool that is left behind costs more than the tool itself.

I have a giant pair of Channel Locks left behind by a flooring installer---They had traveled over 40 miles to the job. They told me to keep them. The gas cost alone to come get them would have been more than the tool.

---Mike---

I hate it when a customer or other work crew leaves tools out where I am working--It's way to tempting to save a trip to the truck and grab a handy tool and use it.

I usually throw a tarp over someone elses tools before the work starts.

Last edited by oh'mike; 06-04-2010 at 06:11 AM.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote