Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

PLEASE HELP!!!! Need Some Info ASAP

Hi, We just made an insurance claim on our roof. We allowed a family friend to do the job. The inspection will be on the 20th of Oct.

My question is how do I file a 1099 on this individual and will I have to report this insurance claim to the IRS as well on our behalf?

I live in Denver, Co and know that we should have never brought in a personal
friend /acquaintance who is not exactly a roofer nor has a roofing business...although, he did have a friend who is in the roofing business who has been overseeing the job.

We have given this contractor 2 advances in 2 checks before the job was finished both in the amount of 250.00 ...This individual wants the rest of the monies in cash...PLEASE HELP ...WE ARE GOOD HONEST PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING AND ALSO WENT OUT OF OUR WAY TO HELP A FRIEND BY GIVING HIM THIS JOB.I KNEW BETTER.....

Please any and all info such as filing a 1099 and how to do so, as well as any info pertaining to our insurance claim having to be reported or filed to IRS as well.
And finally do we hand over cash or not .I think not. Although, as nice as my husband is, he's willing to pay him cash tomorrow before inspection. Will a written receipt suffice or not...We need help here Please ! Thanks for taking the time to read this posting.
Thanks , Regards, lost&ignorant

Last edited by lost&ignorant; 10-11-2010 at 01:29 PM.
lost&ignorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost&ignorant View Post
Hi, We just made an insurance claim on our roof. We allowed a family friend to do the job. The inspection will be on the 20th of Oct.

My question is how do I file a 1099 on this individual and will I have to report this insurance claim to the IRS as well on our behalf?

I live in Denver, Co and know that we should have never brought in a personal
friend /acquaintance who is not exactly a roofer nor has a roofing business...although, he did have a friend who is in the roofing business who has been overseeing the job.

We have given this contractor 2 advances in 2 checks before the job was finished both in the amount of 250.00 ...This individual wants the rest of the monies in cash...PLEASE HELP ...WE ARE GOOD HONEST PEOPLE WHO ARE STRUGGLING AND ALSO WENT OUT OF OUR WAY TO HELP A FRIEND BY GIVING HIM THIS JOB.I KNEW BETTER.....

Please any and all info such as filing a 1099 and how to do so, as well as any info pertaining to our insurance claim having to be reported or filed to IRS as well.
And finally do we hand over cash or not .I think not. Although, as nice as my husband is, he's willing to pay him cash tomorrow before inspection. Will a written receipt suffice or not...We need help here Please ! Thanks for taking the time to read this posting.
Thanks , Regards, lost&ignorant
Well to be honest what you did was not a good idea. I have worked in the insurance restoration business before and its always best to use a reputable contractor with a name that can provide you with an invoice.

You are stuck now as you can not prove how much you paid him without an invoice.

Do you have to have a license in your area to be a contractor?

I am thinking your best bet at this point and to get the receipts for the roofing materials and see if the insurance agent will accept a personal receipt/invoice from your family friend.

In the future hire a contractor who is familiar with the insurance industry, xactimate and how it all works.

wnabcptrNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

SO.... what is the claim for? Was the roof damaged and that's why he replaced it? Is the claim because he screwed up the roof?
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM   #4

This is a kind of horror story, you should make a personal investigation for this person, then why do he have to take all the payment unless he do the job well done. First and everything you could ring a professional to do your roof next time otherwise you can seek professional workers at the internet or at respectful agencies.
EmPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #5

If you want to issue the person a 1099 -
you have to have their social security number - quite often -
a name is not good enough.

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #6

I would bet that reciepts and climbing a ladder to make sure everything looks good will be all the ins. guy needs.

On the 1099, Do you issue one for the paperboy or the kid that cuts your grass. It sounds like you have an agreement with this family friend to pay cash (and prolly got a pretty good "cash" discount) now you want to change the agreement after the work has been performed. Yeah I would call that "throwing him under the bus" but thats me.

I think you should honor the deal you made with "the freind", And deal with the insurance man on your own.

Sorry did'nt notice that this thread was a year old

Last edited by STL B.; 04-28-2011 at 02:39 PM.
STL B. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to STL B. For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (04-28-2011)