Please Help! HD/Contractor Giving Runaround - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Please Help! HD/Contractor Giving Runaround

After two years of saving I finally purchased a floor from home depot that will cover my entire 399 sq ft apartment (except for bathroom). The contractor they hired is SOME COMPANY.

SOME COMPANY came to the apartment yesterday and poured self leveler on the subfloor. I've lived in this apartment for 6 years and the only thing worse than the existing hardwood was how unlevel and crooked the floor was. Not one piece of furniture was able to sit level. I verified over and over again with HD and ACS that I could expect a level floor.

I went into my apartment last night after the contractors left and was horrified to see the new concrete floor terribly unlevel in all the exact places as the previous floor.

This morning the crew showed up to install the wood on the floor. They seemed put out that I was pointing out the numerous flaws in the floor. They, and their management on the phone, said they could give me a flat floor but I couldnt expect a level one. HD is softly backing them suggesting that the floor perhaps cant be leveled because the building itself may have settled over the years and caused the floors to move. I have no idea what relevance that has. Even though I'm no expert it seems that a floor is a floor and it has nothing to do with the building and I have every right to expect a level floor at the conclusion of this job.

I'm so frustrated I want to cry and/or scream. ACS is having another team come out to look at the work tomorrow to determine if the first team made a mistake. I feel I am at their whim and its frustrating.

One last point...level aside, there are also numerous areas that still aren't flat (you can lay a level and see underneath it in many spots). So that wasnt even done correctly.

Am I getting mistreated here? Is there something I am missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David

Advertisement

Last edited by beenthere; 05-04-2013 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Removed company name
davidheims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

Stand your ground. They don't have a very good record of satisfying customers.

Advertisement

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:59 PM   #3

Thank you for the encouragement Rusty. Is that HD or SOME COMPANY you're referring to?

Last edited by beenthere; 05-04-2013 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Removed company name
davidheims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,316

HD. Search on line for customer complaints.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

David there is a distinct difference in "level" and "flat". A floor can be flat without being level. A level floor would refer to its relationship to the horizon. A flat floor would have a "plane" surface but wouldn't necessarily have to be level.

I know what you are expecting and to tell you the truth, levelling (and planing) an "out-of-level" "out-of-plane" floor is quite do-able and basically very easy using true self levelling compound.

Quote:
They, and their management on the phone, said they could give me a flat floor but I couldnt expect a level one.
To that I say "BULLDROPPINGS"! They are feeding you a line of first rate crap.

Self Levelling Compounds are sort of expensive, be careful they haven't sold you the expensive self levelling compound and then have only applied a much much less costly trowelable patch material. They look the same on the floor and a novice wouldn't immediately recognize the difference.

Hell...it would be hard to use a real Self Levelling Compound and NOT automatically get a level floor. The process is simple. There is no excuse for the floor not being level AND plane after that application.

LOOK OUT my friend!
BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Tell me more.
Any product bags left in the trash?
Any trowel marks on the floor surface?
Any cement splashed on the walls?

When using self levellers the substrate must first be primed with the compatible primer. Walls should have expansion material applied to them. Any place the self leveller can leak out of the room must be caulked or sealed. The floor must be dammed at the doors and floor vents.

Post a picture.

MODs...This should have stayed in the Flooring Threads.

Last edited by Bud Cline; 08-11-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Its not a DIY issue
He hired someone for the install
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
uva uvam videndo variafit

Rewards Points: 500

Here is your best piece of advice:

Start (if you haven't already) writing letters to HD explaining your unhappiness with the floor. Save this correspondence along with any correspondence you receive in return. If you have a phone conversation, make sure you document it in a letter to HD. Once HD has made it clear that they are not willing to fix it, inform HD that you are submitting your complaint to the State Attorney General and send a letter to the SAG that outlines your complaint along with a copy of your correspondence. The SAG will write a letter to HD asking them for their position. More than likely, HD will fix it rather than fight it.

Most people don't realize that the SAG is the people's lawyer. They routinely get involved in private citizen's complaints regarding companies. And there's no fee needed for them to investigate your complain.
WirelessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

Stay away. I had vinyl flooring installed, charged to have toilets removed, and the installer did not remove the toilets, cut around them, told me he removed them. I told him I was charged for a new wax ring required when toilets are moved, and he said they didn't need them, and asked me if I wanted the $3. He closed the bathroom doors so I could not see what he was doing. He tilted my toilet so he didn't have to remove it, and in the process, he broke my flange, didn't tell me about it, put the toilet back on a broken flange, crooked, and left.
Bottom line, the company charged me $350 to remove 2 toilets, which the installer did not do, then he breaks my flange, doesn't tell me. I called and told SOME COMPANY that they charged me to remove toilets, the installer didn't, and I wanted someone to come out and do so. Their tech finds the broken flange, I call ACS, some idiot named JD tells me to call a plumber and they would reimburse me, I said no way, you send someone out and that I was being ripped off. He tells me that's irrelevant since they would credit me, and I said you charged me, and if I didn't call, you would not have credited me. He had attitude, and after multiple calls to SOME COMPANY, who were trying to play me for a fool, telling me they couldn't find anyone to come out for a week, I told them, you broke my flange, tried to rip me off, and now I have a toilet sitting in the middle of my bathroom, with a piece of paper towel shoved in the sewer pipe, you got to be kidding me. I demanded they find a plumber, and of course they had their own people which they sent out a few hours later after telling me they couldn't find anyone. The strangest thing is that they kept telling me they couldn't find anyone, called all the plumbers within 20 miles of my home, and no one could come out, or take payment over the phone. They had their own people, yet they fed me this BS. Made no sense.
Unethical, and rude, and disrespectful, considering I paid them over $4000 to install flooring in my home. Complete morons, and I warn you, don't use them. I don't know where they found the installer, but he was impolite, unprofessional, lazy, rude, left a mess, lied to me, dishonest, and a complete jerk. What a nightmare!

Last edited by beenthere; 05-04-2013 at 05:29 AM. Reason: Removed company name
rower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

Why is the OP putting down his own floor in an apartment? Typically, an apartment is rented.....so why would you spend money on something like that?

I smell troll......

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #10
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

should have gotten it in writing, in the contract. sheesh...
Old 05-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #11
I'm Your Huckleberry

Rewards Points: 2,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Why is the OP putting down his own floor in an apartment? Typically, an apartment is rented.....so why would you spend money on something like that?

I smell troll......
huh? me no followee the yousee..?? there are apt's here in Houston which are individually owned, like condos.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:04 AM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

My eager posting brethren, this original post is near three years old. I suspect the issue has been resolved to some point all are living with now?

I guess the idea of using contractors desperate enough, or only able to get work through HD is a timeless topic but it seems pointing it out will go further if the post is current?

Last edited by user1007; 05-03-2013 at 04:06 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #13
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by rower View Post
Stay away. I had vinyl flooring installed, charged to have toilets removed, and the installer did not remove the toilets, cut around them, told me he removed them. I told him I was charged for a new wax ring required when toilets are moved, and he said they didn't need them, and asked me if I wanted the $3. He closed the bathroom doors so I could not see what he was doing. He tilted my toilet so he didn't have to remove it, and in the process, he broke my flange, didn't tell me about it, put the toilet back on a broken flange, crooked, and left.
Bottom line, the company charged me $350 to remove 2 toilets, which the installer did not do, then he breaks my flange, doesn't tell me. I called and told SOME COMPANY that they charged me to remove toilets, the installer didn't, and I wanted someone to come out and do so. Their tech finds the broken flange, I call ACS, some idiot named JD tells me to call a plumber and they would reimburse me, I said no way, you send someone out and that I was being ripped off. He tells me that's irrelevant since they would credit me, and I said you charged me, and if I didn't call, you would not have credited me. He had attitude, and after multiple calls to SOME COMPANY, who were trying to play me for a fool, telling me they couldn't find anyone to come out for a week, I told them, you broke my flange, tried to rip me off, and now I have a toilet sitting in the middle of my bathroom, with a piece of paper towel shoved in the sewer pipe, you got to be kidding me. I demanded they find a plumber, and of course they had their own people which they sent out a few hours later after telling me they couldn't find anyone. The strangest thing is that they kept telling me they couldn't find anyone, called all the plumbers within 20 miles of my home, and no one could come out, or take payment over the phone. They had their own people, yet they fed me this BS. Made no sense.
Unethical, and rude, and disrespectful, considering I paid them over $4000 to install flooring in my home. Complete morons, and I warn you, don't use them. I don't know where they found the installer, but he was impolite, unprofessional, lazy, rude, left a mess, lied to me, dishonest, and a complete jerk. What a nightmare!
Don't worry buddy - this thread is 3 years old, I'm sure he probably figured it out

Last edited by beenthere; 05-04-2013 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Removed company name from quote
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 PM   #14
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 638

Well, I just sent the poster an email, he is still trying to sort the mess out. Hd offered to put a new floor over the floor that they screwed up, now none of his doors will close. Feral cats are now freely roaming his apartment
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

"Feral cats are now freely roaming his apartment"
Sounds like this post should be transferred to Pest Control at this point.
Seriously, if feral cats are moving in it won't be long before burglars, crackheads and squatters enter as well. Unresolved after three years? Incredible!

Advertisement