Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #1

Share |

Pinterest

Have you all seen the site Pinterest? It has some of the dumbest ideas I've ever seen from a health and safety standpoint (for both body and home).

One suggestion for an interesting floor is to break mirrors all over the floor then clear epoxy over the mirrors. They also have instructions on painting your countertops and using sharpie on dollar store plates then baking them in an oven to set the sharpie for custom plates. Gives new meaning to "eat lead".

MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Pinterest

I have mixed feelings about it all and of course know the science, tech and engineering approaches to publishing all too well. I think peer review, if fair, is a good thing we have lost with sites like YouTube, Printerest, and all. I hope when you encounter such absurd suggestions you post in the comments sections.

There was one YouTube piece that I looked at after someone on this site used it to build a swimming pool dance floor cover. No way it could have held any weight and it is a miracle nobody was hurt.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 AM   #3

Pinterest

I think this is the site where most of the ladies hang out and it attracts them a lot because of all ladies kind of stuff.
henrylarry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #4

Pinterest

It is geared towards women, thought y'all might get a kick out of some of the ideas. The other day someone suggested drilling a hole for cords and storing your coffee maker in a cabinet. Nice idea until the steam damage becomes apparent.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM   #5

Pinterest

Must be where some of the silly DIY shows get there off the wall ideas.

Did it show how to remove windows and kitchen cabinets with a sledge hammer?
Paper bags on a floor then poly.
Gluing toilet paper to a bathroom wall and painting over it to make it look like it was textured?
Using louan on a floor and using acrilic latex wall paint to paint it?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #6

Pinterest

Yep, they have the paper bag floor, the penny floor, painting floor, sheets of plywood routed to look like floor floor.

There's also a lot of good painting ideas- like painting your countertops with silver paint to get a stainless steel look.

Gonna have to look up the dance floor over the swimming pool.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #7

Pinterest

That dance floor was a winner.
He was on other DIY sites trying to get someone to tell him this was a good idea.
He started off wanting to build one out in the yard that could be portable, then it was a huge area, where talking a riding rink with a pallet load of OSB and wanted to just lay it on the ground.
Then comes back with trying to build it over a pool and could not under stand why using 2 X 4's and 1/2 plywood would not work.
I watched the news for a week to see if he did it anyways to see how many people got hurt.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

Pinterest

I found this today.

Codes are obviously for people with no imagination.
Attached Thumbnails
Pinterest-image-3468678333.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #9

Pinterest

I forgot about paper bag floors. In my misspent youth, I hung out at a bar that had a paper bag floor. It was kind of cool - looked a little like leather. I don't know what kind of polyurethane they used, but it was pretty rugged.
angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #10

Pinterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKat View Post
I found this today.

Codes are obviously for people with no imagination.
Hahaha. The best thing about something like this is, assuming it's not a photoshop, someone actually did this. Spent a lot of time, and some money... and then had to live with their horrible horrible decision.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

Pinterest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBobmanNH View Post
Hahaha. The best thing about something like this is, assuming it's not a photoshop, someone actually did this. Spent a lot of time, and some money... and then had to live with their horrible horrible decision.
I think it's more art than function. Which looks cool in magazines, but sends buyers into the giggles.

Here's a whole bunch of them. http://oddstuffmagazine.com/some-unu...the-world.html

My personal "favorite" is the stack 'o pallet stairs.

angelatc is offline   Reply With Quote