Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Pink vs. White

Which do the experts prefer?

http://insulation.owenscorning.com/h...s/atticat.aspx

http://www.specjm.com/products/blownin2/climatepro.asp

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Pink vs. White

The pink in Owens Corning materials is just a dye added as a marketing ploy, nothing more.

For blown-in I'm not sure what pros prefer but I hate fiberglass. I love my attic's cellulose blown in insulation seeing as how I crawl around up there all the time with no heed to time of year.
http://rvalue.net/page5.html

Blown in cellulose takes up less room than fiberglass - so aside the safety issues (since fiberglass IS glass) you have less room being hogged up, ideal if you're dealing with small spaces.

You could also consider foam - but I know nothing about it.

Overall, if you DIY this project - or go up in your attic often - I'd highly advise against fiberglass.

Last edited by Snav; 02-11-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Pink vs. White

WHITE ALL THE WAY!!!
I even look at the pink or yellow stuff and I start itching. I added R39 batts to my attic (1400 sq.ft.) and had no problems. I can roll around in it and not itch. This is my experience, YMMV, but I have worked in my share of attics, and never a problem with the white.

TJ
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Pink vs. White

The pink stuff used to make me itch years ago
But it doesn't any more
I heard at some point they changed something ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Pink vs. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
The pink stuff used to make me itch years ago
But it doesn't any more
I heard at some point they changed something ?
I agree, the new pink stuff doesn't seem as nasty as it used to be. I worked around some old Johns-Manville green stuff a week ago and it was awful and the yellow Certainteed is no better. As far as which blow in fiberglass would be preferred, I'd shop for price. They are both good products if installed properly. And the color is just added. Otherwise it would all be white.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #6

Pink vs. White

Is it possible for a homeowner to buy the white blown fiberglass? I only see cellulose at the big box stores.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Military Mom of 4

Pink vs. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Is it possible for a homeowner to buy the white blown fiberglass? I only see cellulose at the big box stores.
Blown fiberglass is dangerous - requires protective gear. . . which makes it not so DIY friendly. . . so it's not readily available.

However, all forms of blown-in settle overtime and are rendered rather useless by gravity and compression. So sheeting or roll-outs are always more sturdy and thus more effective, pink white or polkadot.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

Pink vs. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
Blown fiberglass is dangerous - requires protective gear. . . which makes it not so DIY friendly. . . so it's not readily available.
I'm pretty sure Lowes sell some glass blow in (whatever brand the pink panther sells) and rents or loans the machine to do it with.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #9

Pink vs. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
I'm pretty sure Lowes sell some glass blow in (whatever brand the pink panther sells) and rents or loans the machine to do it with.
I've only seen blown fiberglass at both Lowe's and HD.

Blown cellulose is dangerous also, especially with the dust and chemicals loaded into cellulose, which is why installers wear protective equipment just the same.

I've actually been told that installers of cellulose spray a fine mist of water to limit dust and to bind the cellulose fibers together.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

Pink vs. White

It's been awhile but if I remember right, the cellulose is wetted a certain amount when it is installed. It is to make it cling to itself. That way you can spray an open wall before rocking over it.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Pink vs. White

As far as I know, the water mist is to reduce static electricity from building up from the dry fibers passing through the hose. I think some discharge hoses have a metal coil inside to do the same thing.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #12

Pink vs. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
As far as I know, the water mist is to reduce static electricity from building up from the dry fibers passing through the hose. I think some discharge hoses have a metal coil inside to do the same thing.
Not sure, but the install company told me the fine mist was to reduce the dust. There is a lot of dust when blowing cellulose. Also, I was told the fine mist served to activate the resin in the cellulose that binds the cellulose in clumps.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
Military Mom of 4

Pink vs. White

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
Yeah, I've only seen it at one place - it's just not common because of problems that go along with it.