Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Permits / bureaucrats / inspectors

The object lesson in several days worth of frustration at a local permit office is to GET LUCKY. And, just to be clear, I am always super polite and deferential to everyone working at these offices; since they have all the power. And also, for the record, our local electrical inspectors are awesome, helpful, and easy to work with. Building appears to be different.....

- The Bureaucrat behind the big desk at the front of the office is not knowledgeable about code/permits or inspections. No matter how nice you are, no matter how pleasant, no matter how you have studied the code or referenced it, you can't get past someone who's answer is always "Don't come back until you've filled out this form." Then they will try and explain to you codes and will make jerks of themselves telling you up is down and black is white.

- The Engineer in charge of the office always wants a "signed and sealed" engineering plans. FOR EVERYTHING, no matter how trivial; regardless of the requirements of the local code. Dog house - better get that "signed and sealed".

- In the end, the only thing that really mattered was that the inspector didn't think "signed and sealed" plans were needed. After several frustrating trips between functionaries. The inspector told us, "Go home, I'll take care of it. Don't worry about it. It's done." Having an inspector who was sympathetic was EVERYTHING.

Sheesh. I am the girl who always says, get your permit. It makes me really distressed when they make it so durn hard to abide by the law.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,250

We had one here for a while who knew absolutely nothing. He was always telling people the wrong thing. Of course I don't ever buy permits, anyway.

rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:15 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Quote:
And also, for the record, our local electrical inspectors are awesome, helpful, and easy to work with.
Ah-Ha! A professional suck up!

I took my fourteen year old son (yesterday) to the local DMV to get his driving learners permit. After waiting fifteen minutes in line my first question to the the guy on the other side of the counter was; Is there a charge for this and will you take a debit card? His response was he didn't know what the charge was but of course there was one, and that I would have to go to the Tax Collectors Office to ask if they would take my debit card.

My son was required to have two forms of ID with his current address on them. At fourteen he doesn't get a helluva lot of mail but he had just received a notice from his high school about upcoming events in the month of August and just days away. The dates were clearly listed for each of the upcoming events. However, (there always seems to be a however), however the notice even tho clearly addressed to him did not contain a post mark on the pre-printed postage-metered notice that contained a date. The document was rejected.

He asked what else he had with his name and address on it and of course my son getting his first taste of dealing with government employees turns to me for the answer.

I spoke up and said he also has his Hunter's Safety Graduation Card. The guy looked at it and said okay that's one. What else do you have I need two.

The guy must have been telepathic when he looked at me as I was telling him that we just drove fifteen miles to get here to stand in a line for fifteen minutes to have a document rejected that no one told us required a (dated) postmark. I went on to tell him I was his father, I was his natural father, my son lived with me, I will vouch for his address. The guy then agreed to accept MY drivers license (if it was current) and move on. Why the hell would I try to pawn off a not current drivers license for identification with a goverment office?

It's a good thing he was telepathic because I was getting ready to rearrange their office furniture for them.

However (there it is again another "however") I remained calm and polite and smiled at the prick and he fell for it hook line and sinker. After all of that and as we turned to leave I said to him "Thank You" and he replied "NEXT PLEASE".
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
However (there it is again another "however") I remained calm and polite and smiled at the prick and he fell for it hook line and sinker. After all of that and as we turned to leave I said to him "Thank You" and he replied "NEXT PLEASE".
It sucks kissing rear-end and liking it. Especially, when you are doing it for someone else (your son - congrats, btw - I have some thoughts I'm PMing you about new drivers). All I ever want is people to show me the same respect that I show them. How much would it have hurt that guy to say 'Your welcome"?

*This permit office was equivalent to the DMV. Single gatekeeper who dolled out tickets to get you to the next hurdle.*
Old 08-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,484

Quote:
It sucks kissing rear-end and liking it.
I didn't say I liked it. I said I was preparing to re-arrange their furniture and his telepathic prowess told him so.

Quote:
All I ever want is people to show me the same respect that I show them.
Uh, um, ah, I'm not sure that would work for me. Unfortunately, the older I get the less willing I am to put up with any bullchit especially from one of those complacent morons.

Quote:
How much would it have hurt that guy to say 'Your welcome"?
Exactly or even to do what you did and say "congrats".

Thank you by the way.
Leah Frances (08-03-2011)