Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 03:48 AM   #1
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Rewards Points: 250

Paypal scam

Not sure where the proper forum for this was so I'll just stick it here. Got this in my email today:

Quote:
Take Control of Your Money

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. During a recent screening, we noticed an issue regarding your account.
Case ID Number: PP-177-706-064 We have reason to believe that your account was accessed by a third party. Because protecting the security of your account is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal account features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but please understand that this temporary limitation is for your protection.
To update your PayPal records click on the following link:

"Alleged Paypal Link Inserted here"

For your protection, we have limited access to your account until additional security measures can be completed. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
This new security statement will helps us continue to offer PayPal as a secure and cost-effective payment service. We appreciate your cooperation and assistance.

Sincerely, The PayPal Team
Had all the right pics to make it look like official paypal, too. Notice all the spaces in the link...and the http as opposed to https

I've been dealing with ebay and paypal since at least 1999. Just wanted to pass this on in case any of y'all encounter it.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-30-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Actual Link in Post Removed
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Paypal scam

Thanks for the heads up.

JohnDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Fixer-'til-broker

Paypal scam

Forward anything suspicious to:

spoof@paypal.com

I can't give out too much info, since I work for the gubment, but there are also work-at-home sites and job postings that are scams. Of course, there are still 419 scams that I've actually been contacted at work on an official phone line. I don't know how they got the number, but the Embassy took care of it.

Heh, I got a lucrative offer yesterday from some artist. He wanted me to be honest and I told him honestly that I would keep his money safe, would not give him the account number, and that his IP address had been logged.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Paypal scam

I got an offer from a Nigerian once. He wanted to hide millions of dollars from the Nigerian government in my personal bank account.

I e-mailed him back and told him I sympathized cuz I had the same problem. I had to find a way to hide millions of dollars from the Nigerian government too.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-03-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #5

Paypal scam

I get these "spoof" emails about pay-pal all the time, as well as about ebay. THey are a bunch of scum-bags that don't have anything else better to do. Just NEVER key into their link, just delete.
bofusmosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:01 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Paypal scam

rule of tumb, paypal will never request anything from you.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-04-2008 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Web link Removed From Signature
vietnogi is offline   Reply With Quote