Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Community > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:52 PM   #1

Share |
Thumbs up

Pay Attention to what you buy!!

I received this eMail yesterday-- I made a few changes to shorten it but I totally agree-----

I was in Lowes the other day looking at the hose attachments... They were all made in China . The next day I was in Ace Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked the hose attachments there. They were made in USA . START LOOKING
In our current economic situation, every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - even their job!
My grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed, though, that it is marked made in Mexico now. I do not buy it any more.
My favorite toothpaste Colgate--- made in Mexico .... now I have switched to Crest. You have to read the labels on everything
This past weekend I was at a grocery store. I needed light bulbs and Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle, and right next to the GE brand was an off-brand --- "Everyday Value." I picked up both types of bulbs and compared the stats - they were the same except for the price...
The GE bulbs were made in MEXICO and the Everyday Value brand was made in the USA by a company in Cleveland , Ohio .
So throw out the myth that you cannot find products you use every day that are made right here...
Bounce Dryer Sheets cost more and are made in Canada. The Everyday Value brand was less money and MADE IN THE USA! The dryer sheets performed just as well as the Bounce at almost half the price!
We should all start reading labels and see what you can find that is made in the USA - the job you save may be your own or your neighbors!
In today's world market, one can't be sure an item is made in this country, just because it is labled so, but it is better then buying known foreign products

Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giles For This Useful Post:
liquidvw (12-07-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #2

Life is too short to read labels.

elementz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #3

so your driving the company out of business that imports that stuff, and because of people like you, we will soon have to lay off American workers in the import business.. taxes will be increased because the governess will not get all the taxes from the importing of products.

just sayin.. i seen it on some news channel, them talking about how just buying American products does not really help us like you think it does.
cbzdel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

When I was in high school I had a job where we would get truckloads of metal hinges delivered from china big hinges for prison doors. The catch was the the prisons had to use products "made in the USA" so when the hinges came to us they had a little metal tab that stopped them from hinging this technically made them "castings" not hinges. We would grind off the tab (took about 3 seconds per hinge) and stick a "proudly made in the USA" sticker on each one total time was about 10 seconds from when we picked up the hinge to completion. wasn't a bad job other than pay was minimum wage.

Just keep in mind that because it says "made in USA" it can still be made entirely from components shipped from other nations.
linuxrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Back in the early 70's, Toyota shipped their pickups and beds separately. The beds were installed in California. They paid a cheaper tariff because they were considered parts that way and they advertised them as being assembled in the US.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbzdel View Post
so your driving the company out of business that imports that stuff, and because of people like you, we will soon have to lay off American workers in the import business.. taxes will be increased because the governess will not get all the taxes from the importing of products.

just sayin.. i seen it on some news channel, them talking about how just buying American products does not really help us like you think it does.
I'm in agreement with this statement. You never hear mentioned the workers involved with imports, dock, wharehouse, truck drivers. By air would result in jobs as well. I'm guessing the import industry benefits many people here in our great country.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:25 PM   #7

I do not intend to argue with anyone Evidently, I inturpeted this message different then some of you.
To me---It is sending a message to look for American made items. It doesn't say "don't buy foreign made products".
To me---It says "why buy imported products and pay the same or more ?".
What about the American workers??
Old 12-04-2010, 01:56 PM   #8
Wire Chewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxrunner View Post
When I was in high school I had a job where we would get truckloads of metal hinges delivered from china big hinges for prison doors. The catch was the the prisons had to use products "made in the USA" so when the hinges came to us they had a little metal tab that stopped them from hinging this technically made them "castings" not hinges. We would grind off the tab (took about 3 seconds per hinge) and stick a "proudly made in the USA" sticker on each one total time was about 10 seconds from when we picked up the hinge to completion. wasn't a bad job other than pay was minimum wage.

Just keep in mind that because it says "made in USA" it can still be made entirely from components shipped from other nations.
This is true, I see it all the time. Especially with electronics. Usually it's something like "Made In China" "Assembled in USA" But they'll just say "Made in USA"

Even iPods, iPads and all those gadgets people go crazy for, are made in China. It gets even darker. Those particular items are made by Foxconn, who have been known to abuse their employees. (google foxconn I'm sure you'll find a lot of stuff).

If it was up to me, I'd put an end to Chinese imports, specifically. They are also a major cause of spyware, viruses, hackers etc (not that it would stop those things). We have to stop supporting them. The people that work imports here could as easily be working in factories here, with good work conditions, regulations etc. Sure it costs more, but I'd be more then ready to pay a couple bucks more per item knowing it's made in the US or Canada. Heck I'll even support Germany, we all know they make good stuff. You following me camera guy?
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Mod

Foxconn WOW.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6551EX20100606
Old 12-04-2010, 02:59 PM   #10
And Still Learning

I understand your thread Giles. How many times have we heard from our "so called proud Americans" who send their dollars to china and other countries instead of supporting their on citizens? NEVER !!! If we don't get this country turned around in the next few years,,,you can kiss life as we know it good bye. Our founders would flip in their graves.
I live in an area where many thousands are out of work due to imports. Most of those were in the cotton mill industry. All of our cotton mill jobs are gone. Non union jobs. We recently lost uniroyal/michelin/goodrich factory that was in business since the early 60s. Honestly we would go naked if the clothing imports were stopped. Reach around and check your drawers,,, SIR. Where were they made?
On the other hand, we (Alabama/Georgia) have in the last 10 years gained many thousands of jobs due to Mercedes, Hyundia, Honda, and a brand new Kia plant. The plant suppliers are popping up like turnips.
Don't tell me because of people like you, we will soon have to lay off American workers in the import business.. Guess you have money invested over seas ?????????????

By the way Giles, Warrrr Eagle!
Know It ALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:45 PM   #11

Know it all---I bet you are watching THE GAME right now
I hope they go all the way
Old 12-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #12
And Still Learning

You are correct sir. Right here in Lee County.
21 to 7 . 13:14 to go in the 2nd qtr.

EDIT: Auburn fumbled,,,WAIT Auburn intercepted. WOW.

Last edited by Know It ALL; 12-04-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 05:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUDE! View Post
I'm in agreement with this statement. You never hear mentioned the workers involved with imports, dock, wharehouse, truck drivers. By air would result in jobs as well. I'm guessing the import industry benefits many people here in our great country.
All these people could be equally employed if we were making goods and exporting them. We need warehousing, dock workers, etc. to send goods the other way too. The added benefit in that scenario is that other countries would be paying us. That helps the trade deficit and and the debt.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 AM   #14
DIY Hack

I think most Americans WANT to buy American Made products, but sometimes there is such a huge differance in the prices that it's hard to justify. It gets even more difficult as the qualitity of imported goods has gotten so much better over the last 10 years or so. Add to that that "corporate owned" politicans have distorted the laws so much that "made in USA" stickers can almost be applied right over the "china" stickers on many items.

If you really want to make a differance we need to stop re-electing the same career politicans that spend all their time working on re-election, and when they do stop to craft a law or sponsor a bill it's only because it's something that's in the best interest of their big corporate donors
Old 12-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #15
And Still Learning

Quote:
It gets even more difficult as the qualitity of imported goods has gotten so much better over the last 10 years or so.
I'm really not seeing much quality improvement. Sure, some things have been improved. They are cranking out goods (junk) so fast that they will accept any type of raw materials to creat them with.
If I manufactured a product, it would have an American flag on all 6 sides of the box.