Parents Television Council V: Howard Stern - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM   #1
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Parents Television Council V: Howard Stern

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 15, 2011

Statement from Tim Winter, President, Parents Television Council:

On Reports That Howard Stern Will Join America's Got Talent

“In an act of desperation for a flailing network, NBC has hired Howard Stern – a performer who is synonymous with shock, profanity and obscenity – as a judge on a prime-time talent competition. Not coincidentally, in just over three weeks the network will be standing before the United States Supreme Court arguing for the right to use the F-word at any time of the day, even in front of children.

“The once-proud broadcast network has lost its way and has made it clear it holds no concern whatsoever for children and families. It also risks losing millions in advertising dollars. Whatever principles NBC had in the past, when the network was successful, have clearly gone out the window.”

To speak with a representative from the Parents Television Council, please contact Megan Franko at (703) 859-5054 or Liz Krieger at (703) 683-5004 ext. 120.

Advertisement

Last edited by Bud Cline; 12-16-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,320

The 3 people who watch that show will be upset.

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Snav (12-18-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,838

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 15, 2011

Statement from Tim Winter, President, Parents Television Council:

On Reports That Howard Stern Will Join America's Got Talent

“In an act of desperation for a flailing network, NBC has hired Howard Stern – a performer who is synonymous with shock, profanity and obscenity – as a judge on a prime-time talent competition. Not coincidentally, in just over three weeks the network will be standing before the United States Supreme Court arguing for the right to use the F-word at any time of the day, even in front of children.

“The once-proud broadcast network has lost its way and has made it clear it holds no concern whatsoever for children and families. It also risks losing millions in advertising dollars. Whatever principles NBC had in the past, when the network was successful, have clearly gone out the window.”

To speak with a representative from the Parents Television Council, please contact Megan Franko at (703) 859-5054 or Liz Krieger at (703) 683-5004 ext. 120.

My vote is they can pull the plug on that one. Just unbelievable.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:55 PM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
Not coincidentally, in just over three weeks the network will be standing before the United States Supreme Court arguing for the right to use the F-word at any time of the day, even in front of children.
Isn't it about time WE put a stop to some of the things that are destroying the moral fabric of this country? There is no reason for that kind of language to be on the public broadcast TV channels of this country. There's enough crap there now. How can allowing that type of language on TV be a productive thing? Has society finally sunk so low as to need to hear it everywhere all of the time. What does this do to the children of this country and their respect for others?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
Tileguy

The Justices do not have e-mail addresses, but you can write to them at:
(Why does the government always feel a need to lie to the American people?)

Should you care to get involved...

Justice (or Chief Justice) (Justice's Full Name)
Supreme Court of the United States
One First Street N.E.
Washington, DC 20543

The nine Supreme Court Justices are:

Chief Justice
John Roberts,

Associate Justices
Samuel Alito,
Stephen Breyer,
Ruth Bader Ginsburg,
Anthony Kennedy,
Anthony Scalia,
David Souter,
John Paul Stevens,
Clarence Thomas.

I assume this list is current but not totally sure.
BigJim (12-16-2011), gma2rjc (12-18-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 12:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,064

I know this is a radical thought -
Have the parents watch what their offspring are doing/watching/interacting
with?
Just a thought!

Dozens of children go by the place I live - back and forth to school -
I thought I knew how to swear!!

People are worried about the TV - most of the "kids" are more "Internet
Savvy", than their parents.
What can we find on the Internet?

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rossfingal For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (12-17-2011), josall (12-18-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #7
Tileguy

TV was one day regulated much more than it is now. The FCC has lost its power to enforce regulations and lost its teeth. (Thank you Congress of the United States)
The Internet is totally unregulated but one day that will change.
In the meantime...broadcast television and what is depicted there has become the barometer for the level of acceptance of this country. Why allow the morals of this country to further deteriorate because TV says it is okay?

The Internet can be somewhat regulated by parents when broadcast TV can not.

TV is used these days to babysit children that are too young to operate the Internet. What makes that okay? There is little wrong with that I suppose but if two and three and four year old's are going to be subjected to filthy language at that early age - what good can come from that?

You probably haven't noticed it but the ambient intelligence and moral values of this country are diminishing at a rapid rate. TV depictions say that's okay. The use of expletives and the showing of carved-up bodies and heinous crimes on TV only serve to further the degradation of the moral fiber of this country.

As time goes on and younger generations come to rule the bar of quality is automatically lowered simply because it is the path of least resistance and those ruling were taught at an early age that degeneration of morality is acceptable.
BigJim (12-17-2011), gma2rjc (12-18-2011), Jay 78 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 256

Unfortunatelhy for parents this could become one of those things that the more you say "no no no", the more the kid thinks "it MUST be awesome to have the rents so wound up over it".

Stern is a has been and the state of mos broadcast TV so banal...

Do agree with rossfingal though, for heaven's sake, use the stupid V-chip or just turn it off if you catch your kid watching it.
dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,098

We turned off the TV a lot when our kids were growing up. Unfortunately, they heard all the words on the school bus that they otherwise would have heard on TV.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
Tileguy

There are obviously way too many sources to think anyone could really stop it but what is wrong with the home being a sanctuary for those that choose not to participate. That choice isn't available to anyone at home if broadcast TV is allowed to do what is done in the gutters of America. The same goes for cable TV but a lot of cable TV providers seem to think trash is treasure and of course (unfortunately) there is a market for such activities.

Even late night TV shows intentionally bleep the lips of TV hosts when they haven't in fact said anything just because they think it is funny for the audience to think the infraction has been committed. Craig Ferguson and Jimmy Kimmel and so-called reality shows seem to be the worst, doing it frequently and then laughing about it. It just doesn't have to be. Now NBC wants to be able to use the F-word at any time of day or night. To me that is outrageous.
BigJim (12-18-2011)
Old 12-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

Most people don't understand why I don't watch TV or listen to radio, and why I go out of my way to cut myself off from all things pop culture.

I love my TV (for movies) and I'm a music lover (mostly independent artists), but the truth is, America is going straight to hell, and I want no part of it.

I'll try to refrain from going on a tirade about everything I think is wrong with the country, but I will say that I believe the root of most of the problems we have as a society stem from parenting or, more specifically, a lack thereof.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,362

I agree with you Bud. They can keep the F-bomb off of network television. I don't watch much tv, but I have it on during the day because the little ones like Dora and Elmo and a few others. For the most part they're too busy playing to pay attention to it though.

But I'll tell you what. I've heard things being said (not swear words) on Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer that have caused me to turn them off. It's usually something I catch that I consider a part of the media's liberal agenda.

It doesn't surprise me that the morals of this country are decaying as rapidly as they are. And it's no surprise that some kids have zero respect for their elders.

The reason I say that goes back to television shows. Watch any show that is geared toward the 9 to 15 year old kids. One that comes to mind is "I Carli". There are several others. It's not a horrible show and the the kids love it, but pay attention to the way the kids and adults interact. The kids look like the mature, more knowledgeable ones and the adults are made to look like complete idiots. Check it out some time. You'll see what I mean.

It's the same way with a lot of kids movies. But the place I notice it the most is tv commercials.

In almost any commercial where there is a child and an adult, the child is portrayed as the smarter of the two. They usually throw some humor in to make it look alright. But it's not funny anymore. It's become the norm.

And here's another thing. In most sitcom's and almost all tv commercials, if there is a man and a woman, they make the guy look like he's a dimwit and the woman has the stronger personality of the two. She's in control - he's an apologetic wimp. Again, not funny anymore because it's done way too much.

I believe it's part of the reason so many kids are growing up having little or no respect for adults. Not the only reason, but it's a constant stream of bad influence from the tv shows, commercials, movies, etc. they watch.

Thankfully there are still parents who teach their kids right from wrong.

If all else fails and NBC is told they can't use that language, Jeffrey Immelt will simply pay some people off and NBC will be allowed to use any foul language it chooses. Then perhaps Nancy Pelosi will bless us all with an explanation as to why we need NBC to use the 'f' word. As with so many other things that they've done to this country, she'll say, "It's for the chiiiiiiilldren". JM2˘W

Sorry Bud, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited by gma2rjc; 12-18-2011 at 02:20 AM.
gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,838

I am trying not to get cranked up on this but you are all so right, if I said what I really think it would probably be deleted. There are a group of people who make up about 10% of the US population who seem to be taking over TV who have the morals of an alley cat. They are doing everything they can to make sure their life style is introduced or forced onto every kid out there. I guess I best shut up...

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (12-18-2011), gma2rjc (12-18-2011)
Old 12-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #14
Tileguy

Quote:
Sorry Bud, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
Hijack away!

It doesn't seem to be bothering too many others. Do they not see what is happening or do they not care what is happening or are they simply a constituent of what is happening.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #15
Tileguy

http://www.parentstv.org/ptc/publications/emailalerts/2011/1223.htm

Advertisement