Owner Occupied Rental Agreement ? - Off Topic - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > The Break Room > Off Topic

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Owner occupied rental agreement ?

I am in need of a rental agreement that takes into account the owner (me) being on the premises. I have two extra bedrooms and have a roommate for one room and a potential roommate for the other but I would like to have something official to keep everyone on the up and up and have some sort of legal fall back if I need it (knock on wood i don't.) I have found quite a few lease / rental agreements on the internet but they all assume that the lease does not include the owner living there.

Any current or former landlord's have advice regarding this?

Thanks!

Advertisement

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

what difference would owner occupancy make? You simply need an rental agreement for the bedroom and what ever other inclusions you want to allow and restrictions on what you do not want to allow.

I wanted to add:

you need to include things like term of lease, amount of time for terminating the lease, security deposit, and a thousand other things. You would be served best by researching your states landlord tenant laws so you know what you can and cannot do as a landlord.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/383-00/chapter.htm

Advertisement

Last edited by nap; 02-23-2010 at 05:22 PM.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
what difference would owner occupancy make? You simply need an rental agreement for the bedroom and what ever other inclusions you want to allow and restrictions on what you do not want to allow.

I wanted to add:

you need to include things like term of lease, amount of time for terminating the lease, security deposit, and a thousand other things. You would be served best by researching your states landlord tenant laws so you know what you can and cannot do as a landlord.

http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/383-00/chapter.htm
I don't know if being owner occupied affects anything or not - hence the question.

Thanks for the link - I never would have thought of some of those things

and as an interesting side-note: kentucky apparently still accepts sharecropping as a legitimate form of rent payment

Last edited by cellophane; 02-23-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

it doesn't that I am aware of other than the tenants know how to get hold of the LL at 3 in the morning when the toilet gets plugged
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
E-lec-tri-city

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via ICQ to brons2 Send a message via AIM to brons2 Send a message via MSN to brons2 Send a message via Yahoo to brons2

I just signed something like that this week to rent a room near my house while the renovation is ongoing. It has 5 pages of single print terms. Lady got it from some legal documents website. When I get my copy of it I'll let you know what site it was from.
brons2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by brons2 View Post
I just signed something like that this week to rent a room near my house while the renovation is ongoing. It has 5 pages of single print terms. Lady got it from some legal documents website. When I get my copy of it I'll let you know what site it was from.
thanks!

Advertisement